• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DCAU - Superman Revisions

It is, because you're using the entire size of the island to get a size which then gets you KE figures that gets a big number.

Most volcanic eruptions don't give nearly that level of thermal energy. St. Helens for example had the following

Even giant island shatter explosions like Krakatoa only generated 200 megatons of TNT

Eruptions just do not generate the level of energy you're suggesting they do.
Was that explosion anywhere near as large as the one shown in the DCAU? Because that thing was at least three times the size of the initial island after the burst. Said explosion also obliterated the Volcano, either way Superman and Doomsday should get a huge upgrade.

It is, because you're using the entire size of the island to get a size which then gets you KE figures that gets a big number.
Okay, so you agree on the fact that the calc isn't about the island being fragmented as you originally stated.

As for the size of the island, yes, that's how one figures out the size of the eruption Doomsday tanks...

Most volcanic eruptions don't give nearly that level of thermal energy. St. Helens for example had the following

Even giant island shatter explosions like Krakatoa only generated 200 megatons of TNT
Eruptions just do not generate the level of energy you're suggesting they do.
Neither of these have been shown or thought to have been as large lava-wise. There's no comparison between how much lava was pushed out of Krakatoa and that DCAU volcano.

Was that explosion anywhere near as large as the one shown in the DCAU?
Yeah. In fact Krakatoa was much large and caused a global drop in temperatures. Both links I provided gave the stats of the volcanos and what the effects of their eruptions were. All of which utterly dwarf what the DCAU volcano did.
As for the size of the island, yes, that's how one figures out the size of the eruption Doomsday tanks...
But he didn't tank a volcanic eruption the size of the island. Just the volcano itself. The rest of the island was buried under a tidal wave and only the volcano proper exploded. Your calc uses the entire length of the island to get a number when that's not what happens and isn't supported by the episode itself.
Neither of these have been shown or thought to have been as large lava-wise.
But it shows the thermal and kinetic energy from the explosion.

Your calc is still using a massively highballed width as well, which is why you're getting numbers like mach 82 magma and inflated KE figures

But he didn't tank a volcanic eruption the size of the island. Just the volcano itself. The rest of the island was buried under a tidal wave and only the volcano proper exploded. Your calc uses the entire length of the island to get a number when that's not what happens and isn't supported by the episode itself.
Even with the scans you provided on the before and after the Volcano exploded, that eruption.. completely dwarfs the entire island. It's at least three times its size.

completely dwarfs the entire island.
I went over this with you before.
Now there's evidence
All that's left is quite literally the volcano. The entire forest that surrounded it was submerged completely.
The calc assumes the Volcanic explosion covered the entire island. You can see that in the math where it assumes the 801 pixel figure is the island's length of 45 kilometers.

The volcano would need to be recalced with just the volcano and not the entire island. Even then Doomsday wouldn't scale to the volcano's KE, but the thermal and kinetic energy which would be 7-B to 7-A going by the IRL volcano used for the calc.

Last edited:

The calc assumes the Volcanic explosion covered the entire island. You can see that in the math where it assumes the 801 pixel figure is the island's length of 45 kilometers.

The volcano would need to be recalced with just the volcano and not the entire island. Even then Doomsday wouldn't scale to the volcano's KE, but the thermal and kinetic energy which would be 7-B to 7-A going by the IRL volcano used for the calc.
So instead of the entire island being yeeted it would just be the volcano then? Makes sense I suppose.

Qaws' comment makes sense to me.
So instead of the entire island being yeeted it would just be the volcano then? Makes sense I suppose.
Thank you for the replies.

So does the calculation need to be redone then?

Also, you should probably officially reject the current version of the calculation within its blog post itself as well, to make it easier for us to keep track.

Last edited:
I do not recall conceding, I just asked you how Doomsday should scale. The volcano was the bulk of the island, no? Even unsubmerged does that final eruption not dwarf the entirety of it? The calculation doesn't seemed flawed, the only issue is that the majority disagree Doomsday does not scale to its entirety.

The island used to get the size shows that the volcano proper is much smaller than the total island's length.
I looked back at the screenshots, and yeah alright the Volcano doesn't seem to be as big compared to the island as I thought it was.
But that eruption was still utterly giant, at the very least it looks slightly smaller than the island.

I calculate the pillar of lava that we see at the end, which Doomsday tanks, nothing less, nothing more.

The calc assumes the Volcanic explosion covered the entire island.
It did, though?

Doomsday was still in there when it erupted. That is what I calculated, that is what we see. To simply calculate the initial eruption at the mouth of the volcano would be to lowball the feat, far more than that happens.

We don't know if Doomsday was at the epicenter, he probably wasn't, so we gotta find out how much energy he took from the eruption given his size.

How do we do that?

We don't need to, we've never done that for eruptions and Doomsday was pretty much thrown into the middle of the volcano, where it erupted and just kept on erupting.

I think that we preferably should do so though, in order to not get exaggerated and unreliable results, just like for explosions.

I think that we preferably should do so though, in order to not get exaggerated and unreliable results, just like for explosions.
Do you know any volcano eruption feats we can use as an example here? I think the smart thing to do would be compare it with others, see how they did it, and then judge whether or not the calc needs to be re-done. (Which, I don't think it does, the issue here seems to be where Doomsday scales.)

Do you know any volcano eruption feats we can use as an example here? I think the smart thing to do would be compare it with others, see how they did it, and then judge whether or not the calc needs to be re-done. (Which, I don't think it does, the issue here seems to be where Doomsday scales.)
I do not know, no. Sorry.

Are any calc group members here willing to handle calculating this please?

If we want to treat the eruption like an explosion, fine.

I will say though that I did attempt this but didn't add it to the blog as it didn't yield anything worth adding. If anyone else wants a go at it, feel free.

Are there any other staff members who have helped out in this thread, that I can call for as well?

I've provided multiple examples of large volcanic eruptions and their effects. Krakatoa's explosion destroyed the surrounding island and caused a planetary cooling period and it only needed to be 200 Megatons for that. The calc is using the wrong assumption for the size of the volcano and is assuming Doomsday face tanked a 45 kilometer wide lava rushes full KE.
I would still appreciate some help here.
Recalc it with just the volcano, use a IRL volcano explosion or just calc Superman's Grundy slam.

Recalc it with just the volcano, use a IRL volcano explosion or just calc Superman's Grundy slam.
Since we've decided to treat the eruption like an explosion, we need to find Doomsday's surface area, how far he was from the explosion and use these formulae.

At least that's how I understood it up there.
Thank you for the replies.

Would somebody be willing to calculate this feat accordingly then?

Alternately, is somebody willing to provide all of the necessary visual evidence, so I can ask other calc group members to handle it?

Alternately, is somebody willing to provide all of the necessary visual evidence,
The result would just need to be adjusted.

The calc for example mentions the Cumbre Vieja eruption, but misunderstood what actually erupted since only one of the many volcanic vents are what actually erupted. The island probably just needs to calced on its own without basing its size of a IRL location.

Are you able to handle this calculation on your own, Carioca? Feel free to ask for help otherwise.

I'm waiting to see if Qawsed can provide me better shots of the island, since I personally didn't see any.

Back