• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

DC dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there

How about accepting infinite/any number of coordinates/spatial dimensions in the dc universe

It's like Earths out of phase with it dragged back by her human children, who can only see it three-dimensionaly

When actually exists in infinite dimensions

We witness the births and deaths of countless universes see time create itself in myriad of different vectors experience being folded into any number of spatial dimension

Elseworld is canon for mainline DC.

Source:
League of Justice #2
Millennium Fever #4

Thank you

Last edited:
First off, there’s something I have to nitpick.
We witness the births and deaths of countless universes see time create itself in myriad of different vectors experience being folded into any number of spatial dimension

I remember seeing this scan brought up in another CRT around 3 months back. I don’t remember if you were the one who used it, but I don’t think this is concrete supporting evidence.

At this point, we have to play into semantics. This was discussed in-depth here and here, but there’s a limited number of statements you can use to conclude the existence of a transcendence that reaches/goes beyond infinite dimensions without a clear-cut infinite hierarchy existing in a fictional verse. The key idea is determining if a statement like “any number of dimensions/planes/layers” has to encompass any higher speculative level of infinity. For instance, a statement like “it transcends any plane existence, no matter how high” doesn’t need to encompass any countably infinite number of planes, and can just denote the ones proven to exist in-verse.

Q: What tier does a character being qualitatively superior to all planes of existence, no matter how high they are, equate to?​

Such a character would be assumed to be one level of qualitative superiority higher than the tier that destroying all planes of existence would receive. It would usually not be considered to cover planes of existence that are not known to exist, as we do not know the practical limits of how many there could be and the statement itself is not clear whether 'all planes' includes realms beyond those that exist. If it is clarified that theoretical dimensions are included then it comes down to how many are known to be considered in the theoretical framework.
On the other hand, a statement like “it transcends an unlimited number of dimensions” would have to denote any countable number of levels of infinity.

Q: What tier does a character being able to destroy an unlimited amount of dimensions equate to?​

Such a feat would be considered to be the upper end of Tier 1-B if there is no further context. That is because it could be understood to have the same meaning as the statement: "The character is able to destroy n-dimensional space, for any number n." In that formulation it is clear that such a statement would cover all finite dimensions, but we do not assume that "an unlimited amount" would cover infinitely many dimensions or even higher cardinalities of them. If the verse is known to have infinite dimensions, then this would instead be interpreted as being able to destroy all dimensions the verse is known to have.
The OP’s statement: ‘as the universe expands, time may create itself in any number of dimensions’ doesn’t have to encompass speculative dimensions. I see no reason why this statement can’t refer to the dimensions that have been proven to exist (maybe time creates itself under 3 spatial dimensions for a universe, or 2 spatial dimensions for a distinct plane of existence).

Here’s another problem. In order to reach 1-A via a statement like “no matter the number of layers added,” you have to prove that such a speculative hierarchy can be extended infinitely. Being unaffected by the arbitrary addition of several dimensions doesn’t mean you’d be unaffected by the addition of any countably infinite number of them. The only way you can bypass that requirement is through certain negative theology stuff, but it doesn’t sound like that’s being argued here.

Also, the actual "infinite dimension" scan from Millenium Fever appears to be a creator-owned comic that was published in Vertigo. It doesn't feature any other characters from DC and the author didn't write any other comics for DC, so I wouldn't consider it canon.

Also, the actual "infinite dimension" scan from Millenium Fever appears to be a creator-owned comic that was published in Vertigo. It doesn't feature any other characters from DC and the author didn't write any other comics for DC, so I wouldn't consider it canon.
This thread can be closed then unless someone else decides to somehow connect very loose ends with the scans.

I'm not sure it's possible, the comic literally says the characters are trademarks of the author, which means they aren't owned by DC.

fever.PNG

Can we scale it to vertigo cosmology then-

First off, there’s something I have to nitpick.

I remember seeing this scan brought up in another CRT around 3 months back. I don’t remember if you were the one who used it, but I don’t think this is concrete supporting evidence.

At this point, we have to play into semantics. This was discussed in-depth here and here, but there’s a limited number of statements you can use to conclude the existence of a transcendence that reaches/goes beyond infinite dimensions without a clear-cut infinite hierarchy existing in a fictional verse. The key idea is determining if a statement like “any number of dimensions/planes/layers” has to encompass any higher speculative level of infinity. For instance, a statement like “it transcends any plane existence, no matter how high” doesn’t need to encompass any countably infinite number of planes, and can just denote the ones proven to exist in-verse.

On the other hand, a statement like “it transcends an unlimited number of dimensions” would have to denote any countable number of levels of infinity.

The OP’s statement: ‘as the universe expands, time may create itself in any number of dimensions’ doesn’t have to encompass speculative dimensions. I see no reason why this statement can’t refer to the dimensions that have been proven to exist (maybe time creates itself under 3 spatial dimensions for a universe, or 2 spatial dimensions for a distinct plane of existence).

Here’s another problem. In order to reach 1-A via a statement like “no matter the number of layers added,” you have to prove that such a speculative hierarchy can be extended infinitely. Being unaffected by the arbitrary addition of several dimensions doesn’t mean you’d be unaffected by the addition of any countably infinite number of them. The only way you can bypass that requirement is through certain negative theology stuff, but it doesn’t sound like that’s being argued here.
I don’t think OP was arguing 1-A in the first place…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back