• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cursed Spirits aren't abstract.

The current consensus is "Cursed Spirits are manifestations born out of people's mind, thoughts and negative emotions", which would result in them having Type 2 Abstract Existence and for some reason give Suguru Conceptual Manipulation. However, Cursed Spirits are stated numerous times to be born of Cursed Energy and not just negative emotions.
I could find more, but this seems to be enough evident.
Even the scans provided in the Cursed Spirits' pages state that Cursed Spirits are born of Cursed Energy (the first, fourth, and final scan).

All of this proves that Cursed Spirits are made out of Cursed Energy and are not abstract beings.
  • All Cursed Spirits would lose Type 2 Abstract Existence.
  • All Jujutsu Sorcerer's Non-Physical Interaction justifications should be altered to reflect this change, stating that Curses are born of Cursed Energy.
  • Suguru Geto would lose Conceptual Manipulation.
Hell, Incorporeality for Cursed Spirits might end up getting removed, too. Along with the "take form" stuff underlined in the quotes, I recall there being a panel in which Cursed Spirits are stated to always linger around and that normal humans can physically interact with them but are unaware of it, but I can't find it.

A discussion thread about powers of the characters is being planned after the thread about speed. I think it's better to wait

EDIT: But well, that sounds simple. I'll read later

Last edited:
I don't understand your point, you are treating cursed energy as normal energy, but cursed energy is literally a person's negative emotion like anger. Besides being described as entities that exist because of the negative intentions that people feel in a specific place

So if an entity is made of cursed energy that entity is made of negative emotion

EDIT: I have some school work due at midnight, so probabily bye

Even then, that is not enough for Abstract Existence of any kind.
Also, Satoru says that negative emotions are the basis for Cursed Energy.

Millions of descriptions say they are made of negative emotion, some being written as the personification of a concept... "Base" is because it is the base, the human is based on flesh and the human being is flesh

EDIT: I will stop procrastinating.

Curses aren't made from "Negative Emotions", negative emotions cause regular humans to release their cursed energy in such a way that it creates Cursed Spirits.

Cursed Energy -> creates spirits.
Negative Emotions ->cause people to use that said energy.

Nothing abstract about this.

Curses aren't made from "Negative Emotions", negative emotions cause regular humans to release their cursed energy in such a way that it creates Cursed Spirits.

agree, so actually, negative emotions are just a trigger for humans to release curse energy and create curse spirits.

Again, nothing abstract

I agree with this, has been explained perfectly by Slacjow.

Demons on League of Legends are made out of emotions humans have as well, like lust and greed and yet they do not have AE either in fact it was specifically removed from them. This does not sound nearly enough for AE.

Demons on League of Legends are made out of emotions humans have as well, like lust and greed and yet they do not have AE either in fact it was specifically removed from them. This does not sound nearly enough for AE.
I didn't know about the rules for this skill. Well, if that's not enough I'm okay with this

But I think there is a possibility that Hanami, Jogo, Dagon and Mahito have this ability

I agree with Slac here rn

Being originally born from negative emotions is not the same as to say that they exist as negative emotions; they still have bodies made from Cursed Energy which can be physically touched by normal people. Cursed Spirits don't exist abstractly while they manifest avatars, nor are they unkillable as long as negative emotions exist.

If they are born from emotions then they are emotions.
Emotions -> Cursed Energy -> Curses.
Also which normal humans are just touching curses?
I don't know if you know this but they exorcise the curses. That's kinda the whole point. You know like removing an impurity so it isn't there.
Exorcise Curse -> Curse energy no
Longer there -> No cursed spirit

Im neutral. But I want to mention that the demons in the Chainsaw Man are considered AE for simply being the personification of fear of an object. And these demons can still die to a single shot from a normal human

0001-048.png

Exorcising Cursed Spirits with Cursed Energy just means that Cursed Spirits have invulnerability to normal attacks. Not all spirits are abstract existence.

In Chainsawman, devils will keep resurrecting with a new body/memories in hell or Earth when killed as long as the concept they embody is feared.

0001-048.png

Exorcising Cursed Spirits with Cursed Energy just means that Cursed Spirits have invulnerability to normal attacks. Not all spirits are abstract existence.

In Chainsawman, devils will keep resurrecting with a new body/memories in hell or Earth when killed as long as the concept they embody is feared.
Funny enough Jogo says he will come
Back in a hundred years, him and Hanami and dagon. All because they are something that humans fear so they can be killed but can also come back over time.

Alright, based on what mentioned I support abstract existance for spirits with a common negative emotion (Jogo = negative emotions about volcanoes, Hanami = negative emotions about humans destroying nature, Dagon = negative emotions about sea, Mahito = Human hatred):

0116-007.png
0116-008.png

I don't understand EA, so I have a question, does a character dying cause it to have no EA?
eh, not really, Abstract Existence type 2 is when ur existence can relies on a concept, like, demons from tensura would live forever if the concept of darkness still exist, and even if the demons are killed, they can revive due the fact that they relies on the concept of darkness, Abstract Existence type 1 is when you are the concept itself, like, Death of The endless from DC, she is the concept of Death itself, so, her existence is abstract

Type 2: Embodies an abstraction, and can be resurrected or regenerate indefinitely thanks to it. Destroying the abstraction is required to permanently kill those characters, but they can still be affected without directly altering it.
Jogo, Hanami, and Mahito are not being born of their respective "concept"—the fear of natural disasters and the hatred of man—they are born of the Cursed Energy derived from those fears and those negative emotions. Jogo even states that when they are "reborn", they will not be the same as they are now, implying that "the fear that we were created from will remain, but we will not". Jogo does not embody the fear of fire or volcanoes, Hanami does not embody the fear of forests, and Mahito does not embody humanity's mutual hatred for each other. They are simply created from the Cursed Energy these emotions produce.

0001-048.png

Bad example considering that itadori seems to be an experiment from brain-kun and human dad, so we dont even know is itadori is 100% human

energy can be abstract in nature and still be used for physical attacks without any contradictions
so i disagree unless there's a stement in verse that says all cursed energy are physical in nature

The argument is not about whether or not Cursed Energy is physical—real energy isn't physical anyway. It's about whether or not Cursed Energy has Abstract Existence. There is no evidence that Cursed Energy is abstract in nature though. Energy born from emotions is still energy—not emotions.

It'd do ya some good to read the entire thread over before coming to your conclusions.

Alright, based on what mentioned I support abstract existance for spirits with a common negative emotion (Jogo = negative emotions about volcanoes, Hanami = negative emotions about humans destroying nature, Dagon = negative emotions about sea, Mahito = Human hatred):

0116-007.png
0116-008.png
I disagree with the op for the reason shadow said here and the panels

0116-007.png
0116-008.png
Disagree with this crt because of these panels

I disagree with the op for the reason shadow said here and the panels
Disagree with this crt because of these panels

Jogo, Hanami, and Mahito are not being born of their respective "concept"—the fear of natural disasters and the hatred of man—they are born of the Cursed Energy derived from those fears and those negative emotions. Jogo even states that when they are "reborn", they will not be the same as they are now, implying that "the fear that we were created from will remain, but we will not". Jogo does not embody the fear of fire or volcanoes, Hanami does not embody the fear of forests, and Mahito does not embody humanity's mutual hatred for each other. They are simply created from the Cursed Energy these emotions produce.
this answers that scan
The argument is not about whether or not Cursed Energy is physical—real energy isn't physical anyway. It's about whether or not Cursed Energy has Abstract Existence. There is no evidence that Cursed Energy is abstract in nature though. Energy born from emotions is still energy—not emotions.

It'd do ya some good to read the entire thread over before coming to your conclusions.

Emotions and thoughts also qualifies for ae it doesn't have to be concept related. They are being reborn because of the negative emotions.

Back