• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The same logic Saikou is using also upgrades the verse to High 6-A/5-C.

So I definitely agree with the downgrades.

Ryukama said:
Why even bother arguing whether or not a fake feat is an outlier? Cuphead should be downgraded for the simple reason that Grim didn't actually create that storm.
^

It's not just Undertale. We have literally tons of verse with ratings based on a single feat. Should we demand that verse with a lot of feats now have at least 2 feats to explain their highest rating?

I ask once again. Why is Cuphead so different, especially when most feats are just sheer size?

Saikou The Lewd King said:
So because Cuphead doesn't bust stuff in-game, feats of him actually doing those are outliers? Not destroying everything in a game isn't due to the characters being weak. It's just normal.
Except that the best feat outside of Low 7-C is 9-A. And that's from Undyne Anyone who's rated above 9-B from backward scaling to Low 7-C is still above most feats of the verse.
>Feats of him doing stuff

What feats? Cuphead has 0 feats. The only feats in game are his enemies which are never above 8-C and that is via size.

If a series has no destructive feats, no hax feats, no manipulation feats, nothing to calc, nothing to base on, then suddenly bringing up a High 7-A "Feat" which is total bs is wrong. And the textbook definition of an Outlier.

Also, yes Tsunderplane's attack is the only Tier 7 feat in Undertale, but two things:

• Undertale has far more feats than Cuphead.
There's Lv.1 Frisk surviving a huge fall, Frisk destroying a wall, that wolf hurling ice cubes, Undyne slashing a bridge in half and suplexing a boulder, a place so hot that a glass of water literally melts glass included, Tsunderplane firing (small) missiles, Metatton having bombs that can blow up large areas, and busting a wall like the Kool Aid Man, that monster firing volcanic lightning.

• Undertale differentiates power levels
So The 7-C Stuff won't scale to everyone cause most monsters are much weaker than that. Simple. Meanwhile Cuphead literally everyone would since nothing differentiates between the bosses in lore.

Saikou The Lewd King said:
It's not just Undertale. We have literally tons of verse with ratings based on a single feat. Should we demand that verse with a lot of feats now have at least 2 feats to explain their highest rating?

I ask once again. Why is Cuphead so different, especially when most feats are just sheer size?
Sheer size feats are bad in general. Unless it is literally hundreds of meters tall, it doesn't make them impervious to damage. If you shoot a stegosaurus with a machine gun 200 times, it isn't going to survive. The same goes for Cuphead and his finger gun.

And if we have verses at crazy ratings for a singular rating, I am down with changing them.

But that isn't the only reason Cuphead needs to be downgraded: Grim didn't make it and nothing but a transition indicates he did.

Well we can assume that Grim feat is just a normal weather change since is just a normal weather transition to homage the sudden weather changes in older cartoons, one other boss does the same.

Transition feats are one hundred percent unreliable. The very same logic at stake upgrades Cuphead to 5-C, since Hilda changes the stage from day to night in seconds once she transforms.

Either downgrade them to 9-A or 8-C.

Or Hilda making mini-stars, well at this point i agree with the downgrade and other verses such as Undertale and etc. to not be brought up for this.

How can something lie outside a pool of data when there that something is the only thing on the pool of data?

But there is a pool. Him fighting is a pool. Harming the beings he harms is around 9-B to 9-A, so every instance of this is a data point. The calc for 9-A is a data point. Nothing else even begins to indicate that Cuphead is as strong as he is listed at outside of a singular "feat" that probably isn't even a feat.

As Ryukama said, there really is no point in arguing over the outlierish nature of the feat considering Grim has no evidence of causing it.

Also, why is the page and verse called "Cuphead: Don't Deal With The Devil"? That's just the tagline, not the title of the actual game.

The weather changing in order to set the mood of an event is one of the oldest tropes in storytelling. How it get's so often interpreted as a feat I have no idea.

The Everlasting said:
Also, why is the page and verse called "Cuphead: Don't Deal With The Devil"? That's just the tagline, not the title of the actual game.
Yeah, that needs to be changed. In Steam you buy it as Cuphead, it is titled as Cuphead, and in the description is called Cuphead. Only in the picture does it show the tagline "Don't Deal with the Devil."

@Ryu

I mean, it often is. If a character legit powers up and weather changes in a abrupt way it can be assumed. Something like a character with a burning aura, you can see wind around him, his apparence changes and then dark clouds start to gather and thunder falls.

Or a mage waves his hands and clouds forms, or his eyes glow alight and a storm begins to rage where there was none before.

But the Matchstick Dragon has none of this. He just grows another head and the background changes completely in a second.

@Matt Of course there are many characters who actually change the weather with their powers. I'm referring to the weather itself just changing to set the mood, which is one of the oldest tropes out there and obviously not a real feat.

Ryukama said:
The weather changing in order to set the mood of an event is one of the oldest tropes in storytelling. How it get's so often interpreted as a feat I have no idea.
This is an example of when a character changes the weather to suit the mood, but it is directly shown to be caused by her, and further backed up by her claim that she feels like she can "rip worlds apart." Though hyperbolic, she clearly gained a lot of power and displayed it.

So is there any more opposition for the downgrades, or are we OK with bringing Cuphead back down to 9-B and 9-A?

I dont oppose, and honestly we have a very loose definition of outlier on this wiki.

Just chalk it up to an outlier and call it a day imo.

KinkiestSins said:
I dont oppose, and honestly we have a very loose definition of outlier on this wiki.

Or we could just go with the easier one and say that Grim didn't even cause it and not even have to worry about the outlier part (which I still firmly believe to be the case here).

Assaltwaffle said:
KinkiestSins said:

Or we could just go with the easier one and say that Grim didn't even cause it and not even have to worry about the outlier part (which I still firmly believe to be the case here).

That works too, but come with me to chat, I need to ask you something ovo.

Bump. Any more opposition to this? I'm going to give it like 12 more hours or so before assuming no one else has a conflict that hasn't been addressed.

Still falls into the same "mood setting background transition" category as Grim's storm.

I was just showing pointless information. I'm happy to see background transitions still being a thing under relatively simple circumstances.

Assaltwaffle said:
Alright. I'll cover all of them, then. Are the bosses all 9-A?
The weaker ones should at least 9-B+, the strongest 9-A. Seems strange that the Devil should be comparable to the first island bosses.

Ok:

First Island: 9-B+.

Second Island: At least 9-B+.

Third Island and etc.: 9-A

Kepekley23 said:
What about sheer size?
I really don't want to use that. There is a difference between harming something and destroying it outright. Being big doesn't make your skin impervious to damage until you get into the hundred meter+ territory.

Alright, I'll remove the second key then. Wouldn't that just make all bosses 9-A though?

No, in the game it is mentioned that Cuphead becomes stronger after defeating a boss, so they weren't 9-A at the start, only at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back