• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

PaChi2

VS Battles
Retired
Cloud can be resistant to every single Status ailment he can inflict except for instant death, iirc.. so it should be added (to be honest, I thought it was already added).

The ribbon equipment makes him immune ingame (translated into resistant here) to everything except Slow,stop and Death.

And...: VII Stop halts the time counter for the afflicted target, preventing their ATB gauge from filling, but also halting time based effects such as Barrier or Regen. Linking Added Effect Materia with Contain, Time or Choco/Mog makes the character immune to the effect.

So... yeah. that's it. Also, tifa needs this.

bump. This is something straightforward, so there shouldnt be a problem adding it.

Ever and I are kind of uneasy about this to be honest.

We're not sure if we should count these as game mechanics or not.

If a ribbon makes him immune (resistance) to that stuff, why is that counted as Game Mechanics?.

We give game Characters items that have effects... Don't we?

Typically speaking, I always interpret this kind of stuff as game mechanics because the resistances are never actually displayed, there's just an item that says it is.

It's the same reason why all FF bosses don't have resistance to every status ailment in the game.

Wait so they give you an item that gives you resistances but it doesn't show it?

Has this been tested, I mean have the chances of you not being effected increased?.

Yes.

Again, this is the same reason why all FF bosses don't have resistance to stuff like Poison Manipulation, BFR or Instant Death.

I can understand the bosses as it would make the fights to easy. Well I guess your right, this would be game mechanics.

To be fair, in FF7's case you can make the characters resistant via Added materia, which should be not considered game mechanics because is just the effect of said Materia and no any equipment. Considering that mechanics and no every materia there are would be fallacious nitpicking, i believe.

I never quite got the criteria of when something counts as a real ability and when they are just gameplay mechanics. It does kind of hurt RPG characters the most when it comes to abilies given they have the least "cutscene use" of abilities, though.

Gameplay wise at least, Cloud also gets resistance to Slow, Stop and Instant Death with the Resist spell of his game (learnable with Heal Materia and the Master Magic) which puts him under a status of the same name that prevents him to being put in any other statuses and locks the status he currently has.

The Everlasting said:
Show as in, in the story.
I am a bit confused about this. Well, yeah, it's pretty straightforward in theory, but characters like Mario do have among their abilities power-ups that appear only during stages and that never pop up in story cutscenes nor are alluded to. Not to mention wouldn't this discard abilities and items that are optional as well (meaning they aren't part of the main story and don't pop up there)?

I believe in game items are counted towards a character's arsenal. So if it's an item, I think they are allowed.

I see your point, but what's kinda confusing is that for example gear pieces are also items you find in game, then during battle their effects can be seen, such as... let's say the Ribbon (which is in the character pages), if a character has it equipped and someone tries to use stats on them, they won't work, or if you equip the Sprint Shoes, the character will start with Auto Haste and increased action speed.

At first I thought (before coming here at least) that powers that seem to contradict the story events didn't count, but stuff like Sephiroth's Supernova, Zell running around the world with his Limit Break or Griever's Shockwave Pulsar are considered in the pages.

And according to Everlasting's post above, things count when they appear in-story and cutscenes, but many game characters have stuff that doesn't come up in story in any way and are still considered.

The Everlasting and Reppuzan arent interested in discussing this, sadly.

PaChi2 said:
The Everlasting and Reppuzan arent interested in discussing this, sadly.
Too bad, actually. I do get the impression RPG characters get the worst of it. I mean, Link gets all his items, Megaman gets all his weapons, others get all their powerups and so on. The times I've seen items forbidden is when the discussion openly bans specific things. Maybe because I am still new here and all, but still.

Back