• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cloud Moving Calcs Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ayyo what's up, I'm making this because the greatest possible repercussions will have no effect on me on real life so I got nothing to lose. Wow!

Most cloud calcs that are approved and used right now assume that the character that moves the clouds moves both the air and the liquid water within them. This is inaccurate much of the time, because if the character did truly move the air, they would create a vacuum as a result. This is rarely accounted for in fiction, at least as far as I've seen.

What I'm proposing, therefore, is that every cloud splitting, dispersing, moving, etc. calc be revised to take into account the liquid water content only unless of course it's made clear that the feat creates a vacuum.

If you want to learn what the liquid water content density of each cloud type you can look here: https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Cloud_Calculations#Cloud_Mass

Now, either post a reaction gif involving shock and/or popcorn! But only if you also have an argument or agreement or question to go with it! Thanks!

Edit: I'm also proposing that this be the standard for cloud moving calcs in the future.

Last edited:
Most cloud calcs that are approved and used right now assume that the character that moves the clouds moves both the air and the liquid water within them. This is inaccurate much of the time, because if the character did truly move the air, they would create a vacuum as a result.
From what I can see this is correct. You'd only ever use the large density numbers if the character's attacks formed a vacuum from the attack. Like an uppercut that punches a hole into outer space or something like that.

This would nerf basically every cloud calc on the site, but, it would be the correct way to do it unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Side note, I'm obviously new to big revisions like this; this might be better suited for the Calc Group Discussion board. If Qawsed or any other staff member that happens to see this thinks it should be there, please move it for me. Thank you!

Most cloud calcs that are approved and used right now assume that the character that moves the clouds moves both the air and the liquid water within them. This is inaccurate much of the time, because if the character did truly move the air, they would create a vacuum as a result. This is rarely accounted for in fiction, at least as far as I've seen.
There's a distinctly lower density used, though (and it's not like one can really view the vacuum up close in a lot of cases, considering the clouds would likely be several kilometers above whoever's affecting them)

There's a distinctly lower density used,
The density we use currently is the average density of the atmosphere, rather than the density of the clouds themselves.
and it's not like one can really view the vacuum up close in a lot of cases, considering the clouds would likely be several kilometers above whoever's affecting them
The aftereffects of them suddenly rushing back or a void into space would be obvious visual examples wouldn't it?

There wouldn't be a vacuum created because air would just flow into the displaced parts again, though? It's not like 100% of all air is clouds.
Similarily as to how if just the water were displaced air would also rush into the regions priorly occupied by water to replace that.

I'd rather wait for DontTalkDT and/or Executor, but they already went over it back in 2018 that blowing extreme wind would inherently be blowing the air as well as the nitrogen and hydrogen liquids in all that. Or I could dig up what they said back then.
Oh yeah, that too. If you move clouds via shockwaves or stuff there is absolutely no way you could move the water without moving the air.
The only case in which you could move just the water is basically if you use water manipulation to move clouds. (and even then it's hard, as the water would probably drag the air along)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back