• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Catching fire while moving

Depends on what the person was wearing. A naked person wouldn't catch fire until Mach 5 (according to data from NASA), but someone wrapped up in a bunch of clothes would catch fire at the leasurely pace of 2500 kph or Mach 2.

Crimson Azoth said:
Depends on what the person was wearing. A naked person wouldn't catch fire until Mach 5 (according to data from NASA), but someone wrapped up in a bunch of clothes would catch fire at the leasurely pace of 2500 kph or Mach 2.
This is the feat.

American Football armour is made of polycarbonate. Polycarbonate has has a ignition point of 853.15 kelvin. I will assume that the temperature is rising from room temperature, or 293.15. Which means that the polycarbonate shell needs to get 560 K hotter.

Specific heat of polycarbonate=1.3kj/kg K

Density=1.22g/cc

I will assume that the zombie is heating up just the front of his helmet, and the fire is trailing back, which is a half-sphere with no core. The helmet has a diameter of 40.64 cm, and a thickness of 1.27 cm (standardised) That means that the total volume of the helmet is approx 25000 cc. That means that it weighs 1.525 kgs.

560 x 1.525 x 1.3 = 1110.2 kilojoules or 3,642,388.4473 newtons of force exerted by the charge. Just FYI, that makes the All Star Wall Class with this charge.

Time for the acceleration formula! A=F/M. Your average American Football player weighs 113.398 kilograms.

3,642,388.4473 / 113.398 = 32120.39 ms^-2

Now, to turn that into speed. V=AT. The power of a stopwatch tells me that that he charges for 0.13 seconds before his helmet catches on fire.

32120.39 x 0.13 = 4175.65 m/s or Mach 12.17 | Hypersonic+

Sorry that this took so long, this was actually kinda tough for me to wrap my head around.

Always happy to help. If you are required to make the calculation into blog form, just copy and paste my version across with a link to the feat.

Back