• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Cap Marvel (MCU) attack speed upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
This honestly should've probably waited a bit to be paired with more canon CM MCU novel stuff since we have more we want to have in revisions, also I think there was already a thread made about this before

I'm tempted to say that's just the author being hyperbolic. Later on in the book you have this passage
Which opened a window for Vers to unleash another blast of photon energy. She heard the buzzing sound in her ears again, the build, and the release. This one seared the air itself, leaving a stench of ozone in its wake. The beam extended upward from her fists to the Skrull hovercraft above, punching a hole right through the hull. The blast soon enveloped the hovercraft. There was no explosion. In a matter of two seconds, the hovercraft simply ceased to be. Its pilot had thrown himself out of the ship right before, dropping twenty meters into the soft mud below.

Captain Marvel: Starforce on the Rise Pages 29-30
There's also this
The two were nearing the edge of the forest, the rocky clearing now visible just beyond. They had come to a large tree stump that had to be at least the size of a small building. It was enormous. But where was the rest of it?

Captain Marvel: Starforce on the Rise Page 114
And then Vers let loose. Her body glowed, power gathering from all through her and centering itself in her fists. A microsecond later, photon energy erupted from her hands, following a straight line, until the blast reached the top of the stump. There was an explosion, then a scream. Fire erupted where the photon blast had struck. The assailant fell from the top of the stump, landing on the ground below with a dull thud. The body wasn’t moving, but Vers could see that whoever it was, he was still breathing.

Captain Marvel: Starforce on the Rise Page 126
The blast are rather inconsistent in the novel speed wise and the usage of incredibly small units of time is a time honored tradition in comic mediums. Though assuming the second passage happened in a literal microsecond would get you a Sub-Rel feat which is along the lines of what Infinity Ultron scales to.

Is it really hyperbolic for a photon to move in a nanosecond? In all serious, read the statement again.
And then Vers let loose. Her body glowed, power gathering from all through her and centering itself in her fists. A microsecond later, photon energy erupted from her hands
It's saying she powered up --> then a microsecond passed --> then she fired out energy.
And in regards to this? We literally do this for Marvel Comics all the time. It's the same reason they’re the fastest MHS+ characters on the wiki.

It's saying she powered up --> then a microsecond passed --> then she fired out energy.
Yeah I know, which is why I clarified it here
passage happened in a literal microsecond
The thing itself was just her tapping into Binary to fire a beam, since the novel was about her fighting against the inhibitor and drawing more power throughout the plot.
And in regards to this? We literally do this for Marvel Comics all the time.
Because 616 Marvel characters have more than just a single statement and have more supporting evidence than one feat that is contradicted speed wise a couple pages later.

Yeah I know, which is why I clarified it here

The thing itself was just her tapping into Binary to fire a beam, since the novel was about her fighting against the inhibitor and drawing more power throughout the plot.
How could you get sub relativistic results? The microsecond passed then she fired a blast of energy.
Because 616 Marvel characters have more than just a single statement and have more supporting evidence than one feat that is contradicted speed wise a couple pages later.
You said it was traditional, so I felt the need to point it out.

How could you get sub relativistic results?
Like I said, with the assumption that it happened in a microsecond. Small buildings are at least 20 feet/6 meters tall, which if something crossed it in a microsecond, would be about 2% lightspeed.
You said it was traditional
True. But even then there's plenty of examples of both Marvel and DC where the narration doesn't align at all with what is being shown as well.

Like I said, with the assumption that it happened in a microsecond. Small buildings are at least 20 feet/6 meters tall, which if something crossed it in a microsecond, would be about 2% lightspeed.
That's assuming that the blast was happening during that microsecond, which isn’t the case. It says "a microsecond later", which obviously means a microsecond passed, then the energy blast. Not both at the same time. That's what "X time later" means.

I'm tempted to say that's just the author being hyperbolic. Later on in the book you have this passage
I personally don't see anything to suggest hyperbole or inconsistences in the speed of her blasts.
Which opened a window for Vers to unleash another blast of photon energy. She heard the buzzing sound in her ears again, the build, and the release. This one seared the air itself, leaving a stench of ozone in its wake. The beam extended upward from her fists to the Skrull hovercraft above, punching a hole right through the hull. The blast soon enveloped the hovercraft. There was no explosion. In a matter of two seconds, the hovercraft simply ceased to be. Its pilot had thrown himself out of the ship right before, dropping twenty meters into the soft mud below.

Captain Marvel: Starforce on the Rise Pages 29-30
This one details the time taken for the craft to be destroyed after it was hit. It don't refer anything to the speed of her photon beam.
The two were nearing the edge of the forest, the rocky clearing now visible just beyond. They had come to a large tree stump that had to be at least the size of a small building. It was enormous. But where was the rest of it?

Captain Marvel: Starforce on the Rise Page 114
Don't see anything weird with this. This passage is literally just describing the size of a giant tree stump.
And then Vers let loose. Her body glowed, power gathering from all through her and centering itself in her fists. A microsecond later, photon energy erupted from her hands, following a straight line, until the blast reached the top of the stump. There was an explosion, then a scream. Fire erupted where the photon blast had struck. The assailant fell from the top of the stump, landing on the ground below with a dull thud. The body wasn’t moving, but Vers could see that whoever it was, he was still breathing.

Captain Marvel: Starforce on the Rise Page 126
This passage also doesn't refer to the speed of her beams so there is no inconsistency. Its only stating that it took a microsecond for her to power up to fire the beam, nothing on the speed of the beam itself.

We are directly told by the author her beam took a nanosecond to travel between her and a hilltop and non of the above passages discredit it as they don't refer to the speed of the beam itself.

non of the above passages discredit it as they don't refer to the speed of the beam itself.
The first passage refers to the time frame of the craft existing from start to finish. I'm just not seeing the first one as solid evidence of consistent speed considering other showings in the novel and other showings in movies at the moment.

This isn't a real supporting feat for our mainline CM but the What If Captain Marvel's did have some sub rel and relativistic feats so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The blast happened after the microsecond but like Qawsedf said if it did happen during it would be 2% lightspeed something that would be in line with what we've seen with a version of MCU CM. That's all I had to say really, if there's really another other statement or feat for our mainline CM to back up this one up then I don't think it'll be too outrageous to consider

The first passage refers to the time frame of the craft existing from start to finish.
Exactly. Its not just referring to the speed of her beam, its referring to the amount of time taken for her to powerup, time taken for the beam to reach the craft and the time taken for the craft to be destroyed. Therefore it doesn't contradict the nanosecond speed of her beam
She heard the buzzing sound in her ears again, the build, and the release. This one seared the air itself, leaving a stench of ozone in its wake. The beam extended upward from her fists to the Skrull hovercraft above, punching a hole right through the hull. The blast soon enveloped the hovercraft. There was no explosion. In a matter of two seconds, the hovercraft simply ceased to be.
2 seconds = Buildup (1 microsecond) + speed of beam (1 nanosecond) + destruction of craft (1.999999 seconds)
I'm just not seeing the first one as solid evidence of consistent speed considering other showings in the novel and other showings in movies at the moment.
The author has provided a direct statement of the time of her beams and going by the passages seems to have a good idea of how time works as he doesn't clump everything together as a single unit of time. Is there other instances from the novel of inconsistent speed because the above ones don't contradict it.

Also what are the showings from the movies? Do you mean Thanos reacting to it? If so that's hardly a reaction feat, judging by what happens.

This isn't a real supporting feat for our mainline CM but the What If Captain Marvel's did have some sub rel and relativistic feats so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The blast happened after the microsecond but like Qawsedf said if it did happen during it would be 2% lightspeed something that would be in line with what we've seen with a version of MCU CM. That's all I had to say really, if there's really another other statement or feat for our mainline CM to back up this one up then I don't think it'll be too outrageous to consider
even assuming the relatively short (considering the AOE of 3 meters and the fact that it's a ranged attack) distance of 10 meters, It looks like it would easily yield in the dozens of times FTL, even lowballing to the extreme by assuming 3 meters, it would still be a bit above 10 times FTL, so it doesn't really work for what if.

even assuming the relatively short (considering the AOE of 3 meters and the fact that it's a ranged attack) distance of 10 meters, It looks like it would easily yield in the dozens of times FTL, even lowballing to the extreme by assuming 3 meters, it would still be a bit above 10 times FTL, so it doesn't really work for what if.
Probably necro, but the hilltop was stated to be 100 metres or more away

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back