• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel_Champion_07

VS Battles
Retired
According to this, Carol's photon blasts are blasts of actual photons. If I'm not wrong, this would be Speed of Light attack speed.
main-qimg-31d32a9e11f041ef4cd588bf8ea4d791

I kind of feel you'd need more evidence for this. It's stated by BTS guys but thats not in universe and a few guidelines need to be met first

they're not shown to be instant like Iron Man's wrist laser
Seems pretty instant to me
I thought photons are light speed? If that's not the case then I retract what I said earlier
It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source

I though photons are light speed?
Photons are lightspeed. The beams however flex and bend, along with having characters react to it like Thanos. It doesn't fit the criteria for a SoL upgrade, unlike Iron Man's wrist lasers which are always straight and no one ever reacts to.

Photons are lightspeed. The beams however flex and bend, along with having characters react to it like Thanos. It doesn't fit the criteria for a SoL upgrade, unlike Iron Man's wrist lasers which are always straight and no one ever reacts to.
How does having characters react to it make it not SoL

Seems pretty instant to me
Captain Marvel fires the blast at 1:10:03 and it hits him at 1:10:19. In that 0.16 seconds light would have travelled 47,966,793.28 meters or enough to make one complete trip around the Earth's circumference.

Its not SoL in that scene, even accounting for PoV slow down with a MHS+ Marvel.
How does having characters react to it make it not SoL
Because Thanos is tens of thousands of times slower than the speed of light.

Captain Marvel fires the blast at 1:10:03 and it hits him at 1:10:19. In that .16 seconds light would have travelled 47,966,793.28 meters or enough to make one complete trip around the Earth's circumfrence.

Its fast but not that fast.
Other attacks accepted as lightspeed don't show that kind of speed either.
Because Thanos is tens of thousands of times slower than the speed of light.
Wouldn't that just be an outlier or a speed feat for Thanos?

Other attacks accepted as lightspeed don't show that kind of speed either.
Superman's beams fit more criteria that Marvel's, even accounting for a cinematic time argument
  • Superman's heat vision has a direct guidebook statement calling it lightspeed a beam of red light
  • Superman's heat vision does not bend, unlike the photon blasts
  • Superman's heat vision are shown to deflect or bounce off of mirrors/mirror like items like Cyborg's shield
  • Superman's heat vision is shown to be a beam, unlike the Photon Blasts which are occasionally shown to be simple bolts
You need to have more than one item for a SoL upgrade.
Wouldn't that just be an outlier or a feat for Thanos?
Its an anti-feat for the blasts unless you're proposing a universal Rel upgrade to the MCU.

Superman's beams fit more criteria that Marvel's, even accounting for a cinematic time argument
  • Superman's heat vision has a direct guidebook statement calling it lightspeed a beam of red light
  • Superman's heat vision are shown to deflect or bounce off of mirrors/mirror like items like Cyborg's shield
  • Superman's heat vision is shown to be a beam, unlike the Photon Blasts which are occasionally shown to be simple bolts
They're also shown consistently to be extremely high in temperature, which I believe might be more evidence

Key Strengths: Superior piloting abilities, enhanced durability, strength and reflexes, cosmic energy blasts, healing abilities, space flight
The source states its cosmic energy, likely from the space stone. So that goes more against it being SoL if anything.

You need to have more than one item for a SoL upgrade.
Iron Man's repulsors have more than one criteria for SoL but we don't have that

They can go in bursts, they have speed anti-feats and they have contradicting claims on what the repulsors are actually made out of
What are the anti-feats or claims?
Its cosmic energy manipulation, and as I talked about it doesn't show lightspeed and it bends which breaks our rules about SoL attacks.
Doesn't address that it's photon powers
That proves nothing outside that she calls her attacks Photon Blasts.
Then I guess she calls them photon blasts for no reason at all.

What are the anti-feats
There's a large swath of people who have reacted to the beams.
Doesn't address that it's photon powers
Something can emit photons without it being SoL
hen I guess she calls them photon blasts for no reason at all.
Attack names exists. Goku's main attack is turtle destruction soup and the Flash doesn't actually punch with infinite mass.

That's either an outlier or a feat for them.
Or its evidence that the beams aren't SoL. But fine to go over a list
Most lasers in fiction are not real or provable as real. Often they are supernatural in nature and do not function anywhere close to how real light should. Therefore, lasers/light beams are only accepted as real if they meet, at a minimum, a few of these criteria:
  • The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
Furthermore, there are a few criteria which show a beam is NOT real light:

• It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)
These four points are not meet
  • The beam refracts in a new material, such as a liquid or...
  • The beam diffuses in a reasonably realistic way or reflects off a material that it can be expected to, such as a non-magical mirror.
  • The beam is called lightspeed by reliable sources.
  • It has its origin at a realistic source of light, such as a camera.
The one piece of evidence for it is this one
  • It is stated to be composed/consisting of photons or light itself, again by a reliable source.
But the important point for this is the criteria for non-light speed
  • It is shown at different speeds in the same material.
  • It is tangible and can be interacted with physically by normal humans.
  • They do not travel in straight lines (unless you can prove refraction/reflection, see above.)
As follows
  • The beams do not travel in a straight line. They are shown to bend
  • The beams have shown to physically push or blow away things rather than melt or piece through objects. Though that is an inconsistent point I guess
Considering other non-listed rules like her blasts not being one solid beam and people reacting to them that's far more weight in them not being SoL in my view.

I’m confused how that’s valid for bending? The beam doesn’t bend. It fires in the direction it was fired at. The “bending” is Carol changing the direction of her hands. Just because the point from which something is emitted points in a different direction doesn’t mean that what was already emitted/fired will magically move to follow the current direction. That’s just her moving her arms faster than the attack travels.

Edit: I disagree with the CRT cuz it only fulfils one criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back