• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Calypso VS Zatanna
A.K.A. "A Genie VS A Stage Magician"

This looks really good on paper. Let's just hope the thread itself turns out that way.

Vote Count
Calypso: 0

Zatanna: 1 (GalaxianAegis)

Inconclusive: 2 (DMUA, Gargoyle One)

Rules

• Random encounter
  • Speed is equalized
  • Post-Flashpoint Zatanna
  • Battle takes place at the Smithsonian National Museum
  • Winner by death or incapacitation
Give proper reasoning.

Optional Fight Music:

Zatanna needs to speak, right?

Calypso BFRs immediately and poof.

"Winner by death or incapacitation"?

Wouldn't work anyway even if this match allowed that as a win condition. IIRC, she can teleport across dimensions if she needs to.

She comes back and gets turned into ice cream.

She can do the same to him, though.

I had a reason for picking her to fight him. In terms of her magic VS his reality warping, they're close to equals.

I suppose I'll count that as an inconclusive, for now.

Also speedbump.

How long did it take for her to manage that? I can't remember which comic that happened in.

Ah.

Also, ninja'd. Meant to ask whether that was a Post-Crisis or Post-Flashpoint feat, but I guess that one's been answered already.

Gargoyle One said:
Can't calypso just shrug his shoulders BFR and call it a day.
MrKingOfNegativity said:
"Winner by death or incapacitation"?
Wouldn't work anyway even if this match allowed that as a win condition. IIRC, she can teleport across dimensions if she needs to.
Also worth noting is that Zatanna can BFR people as well. (though her record of actually doing so IC is spotty)

Calypso is variable. Some versions activate their powers with hand motions, while others (TM2012, most notably) can activate with a thought. I assume that since his profile is composite, we'll be going with the latter.

Zatanna can activate some spells with handwaves, but her magic usually requires speaking. Her Post-Crisis version was capable of speaking so fast that she could get multiple transmutation spells off before a nearby speeding car could hit her, but I don't remember if her Post-Flashpoint variant has done anything like that.

I also just realized I forgot to equalize speed, but whatever. Their speed rankings functionally aren't that different, so it shouldn't matter that much.

Huh.......

Speaking and thinking aren't too far about from each other.....

Inconclusive as well

Zatanna will BFR, although it depends on her mood. She got attacked by some witch hunters and she sent them to the 17th century for a Salem Witch Trial in revenge.

For Zatanna's spells in activation speed, I know she was able to activate one to turn several machine gun bullets headed towards her into harmless paper.

I think the one involving transmuting bullets was Post-Crisis. I don't remember for certain though, so I could be wrong.

Calypso's BFR and his willingness to do it are basically the same as hers. Preacher showed up in front of his HQ building mouthing off, and he immediately sent the poor guy to a castle prison inside of the pocket dimension he has housed in his painting. He also replaced Preacher's clothes with a straitjacket. He can also send people backwards in time as well as teleport them into space.

Though again, BFR isn't being permitted as a win condition in this matchup. Since it makes the match kind of boring tbh.

The bullet transmutation was Post-Crisis, but I don't know that her Post-Flashpoint version wouldn't be capable of something similar.

Is Calypso capable of travelling through dimensions to get back from a BFR though? Zatanna could either travel or teleport herself back if she was displaced.

I didn't know you could turn off win conditions like that, but ok.

As far as I can tell, he only has the 5-A durability with his Size Manipulation making him large. In raw AP before he changes size, Zatanna might be able to get the win.

Well, from what I recall, her Post-Flashpoint version has like no speed feats of her own. (sadly) Her powers are basically exactly the same, but I don't remember her showing the reaction times that her Post-Crisis self had.

I don't know for certain. On one hand, he's never blatantly shown time traveling himself. But on the other hand, his trophy case in TM2012 has items from previous winners of his contest, one of which was taken from a guy he sent back in time. Which pretty strongly implies he can go back in time at will. Can't say for certain about dimensional traveling either.

I'm not sure if it's allowed tbh, but I've seen it done before, so meh.

And yeah, he's only got Wall level durability when he's normal-sized. But none of his "attacks" are really AP-based in the general sense. (The only reason he even has an AP rating is because the feat of him growing enormous and stretching a man's face across the Earth was calcable.) Almost everything he's done is pure hax and reality warping.

I'll be real, activating her spells before something several millions of times slower than her hits isn't an impressive activation feat.

DMUA said:
I'll be real, activating her spells before something several millions of times slower than her hits isn't an impressive activation feat.
...What.

Bullets aren't "several millions of times slower" than Zatanna.

Isn't Zatanna MFTL+ like anyone worth their salt in DC?

Yeah, considering she can fight with the Justice League and not appear as a snail, I'm pretty sure she's MFTL+.

Not sure why she's not listed as such by now, if she is. There may be a discrepancy involving her scaling in that regard. I don't know.

Time for some stando powa.

『Za Content Revision』!

Lol, since speed was equalized the revision thread's outcome doesn't matter, I suppose the discussion can continue.

As far as AP is concerned then, I think that Zatanna definitely has an advantage there unless he decides to start growing. Although, I feel that him growing to that size also makes him a huge target for her spells.

I think that all she needs to do is land a solid hit. Also, while she might not have outright resistances to everything he has, she does have the ability to use her magic to restore herself if she's warped like how she got out of being turned into a puppet. She could also potentially counter his warping in the same manner with her spells.

I mean, like I said, Calypso doesn't use AP. He always uses hax, which includes stuff like stealing souls, de-aging people and changing their pasts. I'm not sure how good her mind resistance is either, or whether it'd be enough to resist Calypso's empathic manipulation. (Which is planetary)

Regardless, I'll count that as a vote for now.

Zatanna didnt just instantly warped herself to bocome human again when she was turned into a puppet, she first needed to regain her conciousness/sentience and to become human, she needs a magic item.So I'm not sure if she could do the same here, she could maybe regain her sentience back I doubt she can return to being human by herself.Unless you're talking about a different instance where she was turned into a puppet

Back