• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight237

VS Battles
Calculation Group
Hey there. So, there is a lack of information on the destruction value of bricks. I did some Google searching in order to try and find the necessary values for brick destruction, especially considering that somehow bricks are WEAKER than stone. From what I can tell, here's what I can gather.

Fragmentation (using the average shear strength of brick-and-mortar masonry): 0.51 j/cc (based on the average value gathered here: http://www.scielo.org.pe/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2309-04132019000200006 )
Violent Fragmentation (using the compressive strength of brick-and-mortar masonry): 2.81 to 5.65 j/cc (based on this: https://www.ancientportsantiques.com/wp-content/uploads/Documents/ETUDESarchivees/Maçonnerie/CiasaillementMaçonnerie-NAMC-2011.pdf )
Pulverization (using compressive strength of the bricks themselves): 19.28 (https://www.ancientportsantiques.com/wp-content/uploads/Documents/ETUDESarchivees/Maçonnerie/CiasaillementMaçonnerie-NAMC-2011.pdf ) to 24.37 j/cc (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2214509520301418 )

Why not add this to the wiki already? Bricks are a very common and thus important material for the Vs Debating environment!

IIRC we also use concrete as a mainline standard for bricks now.

I guess this would work for red clay bricks. Maybe a value for clay as a whole too?

I wouldn't go that far considering how fragile pottery is compared to bricks.
Ah.

As for the concrete, I'd recommend getting an average of the values on both links, or maybe using them all to suit the concrete build quality.

Best quality would use the highest value, lowest quality would use the lowest value, in-between uses the in-between value.

Ah.

As for the concrete, I'd recommend getting an average of the values on both links, or maybe using them all to suit the concrete build quality.

Best quality would use the highest value, lowest quality would use the lowest value, in-between uses the in-between value.
Yeah, I personally agree with this given build quality is important. Concrete is essentially powdered limestone mixed with water then hardened after all. Going through with it, I can more reasonably see these values listed for each.:

Fragmentation: 2 to 6 MPa or j/cc (First value sourced from university listing, second value listed from current reference)
Violent Fragmentation: 17 to 20 MPa or j/cc (same as before)
Pulverization: 14 to 42 MPa (University listing; includes current 40 j/cc value for pulverization)

That's kinda the reason why I do what I do instead of what the wiki wants me to do: generally studies and especially university and government sources are more reliable than some list off the internet (I mean, Christ, you guys sourced this using completely wrong values months ago and it probably got removed because I pointed out how off the rails you guys went: https://www.matweb.com/search/DataSheet.aspx?MatGUID=3d4056a86e79481cb6a80c89caae1d90&ckck=1 )

Bump (I don't think this was concluded; just that the destructive capacity values of brick (those red things) basically accepted and it turned into a debate for concrete.)

Is it safe apply any of this to the calc page under "Brick" or "Red Brick"? It seems accepted by many calc-groupers.

If our calc group has collectively accepted this, it should be fine to apply, yes. It is their area of authority after all.

Would any staff member here be willing and able to properly handle applying the change?

Thank you for helping out. I have done so.

Tell me here when you are done please.

Well, I think having the citations around would be appreciated just in case. Not sure how people would react to brick's values being listed without sources.

Well, I think having the citations around would be appreciated just in case. Not sure how people would react to brick's values being listed without sources.
You can link them below the table like we did for our other sources. I can do it if you like.

I have done so. Tell me here when you are done please. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Done. Please check for any errors or if it looks too out of place.

No problem. I will close this thread then.

Thank you to everybody who helped out here. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back