• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Calculating energy from a building's tremor

So, a character break a wall and it shakes the entire building.
Is it possible to calculate the energy released by the building tremor itself?

Peak ground acceleration, but there's a problem with that.

You will need to find the mass of the building first.

Yes, given the mass of the building is calculated first.
I can't find anything about Peak Ground Acceleration on the wiki, I went to wikipedia, which gives elements to compare it to earthquakes. But I have no idea what formula to apply.
Is that like... kinetic energy? Like, building of a hundred ton move at 0.2m/s²?

Last edited:
Yes, given the mass of the building is calculated first.
I can't find anything about Peak Ground Acceleration on the wiki, I went to wikipedia, which gives elements to compare it to earthquakes. But I have no idea what formula to apply.
Is that like... kinetic energy? Like, building of a hundred ton move at 0.2m/s²?
Unfortunately, yeah. Shaking speed is also given in cm/s, without the square.

Unfortunately, yeah. Shaking speed is also given in cm/s, without the square.
But wouldn't it also depend on the duration of the tremor and the number of shaking to get the entire energy output? Because that's just the energy given by a single movement.

But wouldn't it also depend on the duration of the tremor and the number of shaking to get the entire energy output? Because that's just the energy given by a single movement.
No, only the single movement is taken into account for, as we do for feats-over-time.

Back