• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
from what I have seen, this has not been asked yet (looked over the page a few times and checked relevant threads with the Black Hole Feats in Fiction tag)

if an object behaves and looks like a black hole in a fiction but is not referred to as one, would it be considered a black hole regardless?

also, I've noticed E = mc^2 used to be used for black hole creation calcs, but it isn't in every case. Is that just a dated standard or am I missing something? Is it because the black hole is below five solar masses maybe? (Which is what would legitimately create a black hole irl iirc)

Both are sort of relevant to a thread i have going on, but more so the first question is the important one.

To answer your first question, it would need to display most of the properties of a black hole for it to be considered one. So an event horizon that light can't escape e.t.c.

Would stretching matter in a spaghettification like fashion be one? Or described as an infinite gravity well?

Would anyone know the reason behind the second one then? Are calcs that used to use E=mc^2 for black hole creation then obsolete, or is there something I am missing?

@Nekroz

I'm not exactly a math person, so I don't know the exact reasoning why it isn't used anymore, but I believe it was because E=mc^2 was used under the basis of "Mass requires energy and thus creating a black hole out of nothing requires the use of a proportional amount of energy". But since most black holes are not created that way in fiction, the use of E=mc^2 was discontinued.

Back