• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Best/most tragic characters for every tier

So I've seen some discussions like "who's more tragic" few times, so I decided to make a thread for this, seems like not a bad idea after seeing the "worst written characters for every tier" crap, there have to be some rating of writing aspects

Basically, you got a tragic character, the guy who was through a lot of shit, but the tragic backstory is written in a good way. Let's give love and hugs for those abandoned bois.

It's not a top.

Tier 0:

1. Azathoth (Cthulhu Mythos)

Tier High 1-A:

Tier 1-A+:

Tier 1-A:

Tier Low 1-A:

Tier High 1-B:

1. The Numidium

Tier 1-B:

Tier High 1-C:

Tier 1-C:

Tier Low 1-C:

Tier 2-A:

1. Ragna the Bloodedge

2. Homura Akemi

Tier 2-B:

1. Flowey/Asriel Dreemurr

Tier 2-C:

Tier Low 2-C:

1. Makoto Yuki

2. Dante (Devil May Cry)

Tier High 3-A:

Tier 3-A:

1. D (Vampire Hunter D)

Tier 3-B:

Tier 3-C:

Tier 4-A:

Tier 4-B:

Tier High 4-C:

Tier 4-C:

Tier Low 4-C:

Tier High 5-A:

Tier 5-A:

1. Thanos (Marvel Cinematic Universe).

Tier 5-B:

1. Darth Vader

Tier Low 5-B:

5. Tier 5-C:

Tier High 6-A:

1. Zeref Dragneel

Tier 6-A:

Tier High 6-B:

Tier 6-B:

Tier Low 6-B:

1. Donquixote Doflamingo

Tier High 6-C

Tier 6-C:

Tier High 7-A:

1. Anne Mayer

2. Sion Zail

Tier 7-A:

1. Siegfried (Soulcalibur)

Tier 7-B:

1. Cole MacGrath

Tier Low 7-B:

1. Senor Pink

Tier High 7-C:

Tier 7-C:

Tier Low 7-C:

1. Raiden (Metal Gear)

Tier 8-A:

1. Beiloune

2. Kurapika

Tier 8-B:

1. Guts

2. Emilia (Re:Zero)

Tier High 8-C:

1. Shin Godzilla

Tier 8-C:

1. Akaza (Kimetsu no Yaiba)

2. Po (Kung Fu Panda)

3. Wander (Shadow of The Colossus)

Tier 9-A:

1. Connor (Assassin's Creed)

Tier 9-B:

1. Natsuki Subaru

Tier 9-C:

1. The Joker (Arthur Fleck)

Tier 10-A:

Tier 10-B:

1. Rintarou Okabe

2. Felix Argyle

3. Kaiji Itou

Tier 10-C:

Tier 11-A:

Tier 11-B:

Tier 11-C:

Tier Unknow:

Tier Varies:

Probably not correct about this (considering how many great characters there are in Low 2-C) but would Makoto Yuki work?

A man who lost his parents as a young boy, an event that is sometimes implied to have left him suicidal and which greatly affected his entire life. Yet through his experiences, he's able to find friends and people worth fighting for even after learning the true causes behind his parents death and their connection. He's able to find enough worth in the world to sacrifice his soul in order to save it. I'd say he qualifies as a very interesting, and quite tragic character. Though I imagine there would probably be better options in Low 2-C.

Natsuki Subaru for 10-A and 9-B.

He was a NEET who got transported to another world and thought it was his new start. He expected it to be like LN's where the world revolves around him and he gets superpowers, instead his only ability is to go back in time by dying.

So he meets Emilia, gets killed multiple times, finally solves things by Reinhard showing up then goes Roswaal's mansion where he is brutally murdered many times even by the people he trusted, and worse of all he remember all the time he spent with all of them but they don't and he can't tell anyone about his powers or time will stop and his heart will be squeezed, and even if he ignores that the people he cares for will die.

Arc 3 is basically Subaru being broken as a person, he watches the people he cares for die over and over and there is nothing he can do to stop it, he literally goes insane, and watched the person he cares for die in from of him, only to return back to mason to see everyone dead and himself being decapitated.

After all this effort of dying and trying to fix things, he couldn't save the person he loved, of course he immediately committed suicide, but that person's "death" is a fixed event and couldn't be changed.

This would really get repetitive going into every single one of his deaths, he had to have one of his friends kill him before his body was taken over, has been frozen alive, literally eaten from the inside out while conscious so he heard his bones and flesh being eaten and felt all of it, burned alive, lost his memories etc etc.

For me the worst of all this is the possibility that parallel worlds may exist, he believes that by dying he can save those he cares for, Arc 4 resolves around this, being willing to die, and not caring about himself, but eventually being taught to treasure his life, anyway it is possible that he hasn't saved anyone by dying.

This is a really basic run down of Suffaru, he has been through some shit.

Beiloune for 8-A or High 4-C.

He just wanted to create a perfect world for his daughter to play in. However, when she vanished, he started to lose his mind. He created a new Marlene by giving life to a doll and classifying it to be just like her. Time and time again, the doll would keep disappointing him and deviants would appear and cause his world to change from his orginal vision. He continued to reset the world over and over, never achieving the happiness he once had. Not knowing the his real daughter was outside his world, watching everything through the eyes of the doll he created.

He soon loses his mind completely and starts using telekinesis to chock doll and what makes this really messed up is the fact that his daughter visually sees it as him chocking her since both she and the doll have a link. After his defeat at the heads of the main cast. Beiloune gives up and leaves to find his daughter but never does. Beiloune has lived through many stories, some of which last over 300 years and something always goes wrong even though he possesses the ultimate form of power in his verse. Even his own people turned on him. He's got it pretty bad in my opinion.

Is tier 0 really necessary? The only one that can be considered tragic is ANU.

This was already done, Ragna the Bloodedge should get spots for ever tier he's in for something along the lines of dying an infinite number of times trying to save his siblings, resulting in timelines being reset over 70,000 times, and ultimately erasing himself from having ever existed from all of time by the end of his story. BB super nerds can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

A nonexistent one that gets nulled by his passive skill that he can't control. I'll wait and see what sort of tragic characters take 7-B

Noelle Silva for her tiers.

In a world where Nobles treats commoners as pieces of thrash, Noelle even though she was a royal, her siblings treated her worse than a commoner. She was considered a matricide (because her mother died after giving birth to her) and a waste (because she couldn't control her Magic). Despite that, she never gave up and she eventually have learned to control her Magic and became exactly like her mother, a powerful human. She is very different than Nobles as she wants everyone to be happy no matter who they are and where they come from.

Oh and she has a crush on a peasant.

so marge simpson is a character that can get pretty dark it isn't really shown in the series because it's a comedy but marge is in a abusive relationship in one episode she got a dui becaue homer framed her she can get pissed at him but she sucks up most of her feelings and isn't really expressive of her emotions because her mother told her to suck it up and this abusive side can show in episodes like the one when she takes steroids and beats up random characters and even rapes homer. marge has also faced abuse in her childhood with constent bullying from her sisters they even shoved her in a little toy house and were horrible influences. Her mother was also pretty shitty with a pretty pesismistic outlook and as mentioned earlier told marge to suck up bad emotions

Emilia (Re:Zero) for either 8-B or 8-A. Btw spoilers for season 2 if anyone here cares for re zero.

Emilia grew up without knowing her parents as they were murdered when she was young. Her aunt raised her along with Betelguese.

Pandora (Re:Zero), cough cough real final boss, shows up with Regulus Corneas and The Black Snake, which murders one of Emilia's elf friends.

Pandora wanted Emilia to open the seal in the forest she lived, so she tried tricking Emila with her words but from i remember was prevented from doing that by Emilia's aunt Fortuna.

Long story short Betelguese shows up and fights alongside Fortuna to defeat Pandora, Pandora reality warps Betelguese into killing Fortuna, the one he loves, in front of Emilia.

Emilia goes crazy, freezes the entire forest and everyone in it including herself. Fast forward 100 years, she breaks out of the ice, and has to grow up by herself as a 7 year old mentally, cause everyone she knew is practically dead, until she met Puck and later taken in by Roswaal L Mathers.

Because Emilia is an half elf, who looks like Satella (Re:Zero) literally like the Satan of re zero, i mean parents tell bed time stories to their children about Satella so they behave, Emilia is universally hated by everyone.

Not to mention in arc 4, Puck, her only family, leaves her.

Man even Reinhard van Astrea is tragic despite being op, can post about him next.

Okabe is different from Subaru imo, he just had to watch the people he cared for die, Subaru has that in addition to himself dying over and over again, and it never gets any less painful, if anything his deaths get more and more gruesome.

Not to mention he can't tell anyone about his situation and even when he finally does in Arc 4, everything goes to shit.

The person he thought he could trust, turns out to be a sociopath who just wants to use him as a tool, basically have him die over and over just to see the results.

And after he told her about his power the first time, he finally gets the weight off his chess of not being able to tell anyone about his situation, he gets so happy he says the forbidden words over and over, "I return by death", "I return by death", "I return by death", guess what happens?

The witch didn't like that and massacres everyone.

That said Okabe should have a spot in 10-B indeed.

Akaza seems to be a pretty good contender for most tragic 8-C and 8-B. He was given the title of most tragic character in the verse by the KnY fandom. And that's saying a lot since almost everybody in the series has a tragic backstory.

Celestial Pegasus said:
Okabe is different from Subaru imo, he just had to watch the people he cared for die, Subaru has that in addition to himself dying over and over again, and it never gets any less painful, if anything his deaths get more and more gruesome.

Not to mention he can't tell anyone about his situation and even when he finally does in Arc 4, everything goes to shit.

The person he thought he could trust, turns out to be a sociopath who just wants to use him as a tool, basically have him die over and over just to see the results.

And after he told her about his power the first time, he finally gets the weight off his chess of not being able to tell anyone about his situation, he gets so happy he says the forbidden words over and over, "I return by death", "I return by death", "I return by death", guess what happens?

The witch didn't like that and massacres everyone.

That said Okabe should have a spot in 10-B indeed.
Yeah, but the difference is Okabe had to give up trying to get past 4D Fate and erase his foot prints from time. Then, he had to let the one he loved the most die. There was a happy ending for Steins;Gate but Steins;Gate Zero further the hell.

In Steins;Gate, the universe taunted Okabe to give up and for awhile (years), he did.

@Celestial

Okabe has a lot more than just watch the people he cared for die, specially in Steins;Gate 0. There, he had to murder the person who he loved the most and give up on trying to reverse it, gaining severe PTSD and depression. He has to deal with the fact that he doomed the world into a apocalyptic war and that he can't stop it.

Depending on what ending you get, he is betrayed by the man who... actually i'm not even sure how to start describing what he does, but he takes Okabe put of his depression hole. The man tortures him for days and removes his memory even.

Or he could shift into a timeline where his body hasn't moved in 9 years, after which he has to crawl out into a pile of human ashes and avoid getting killed by soldiers, and then slowly repeat this process thousands of times to go back 20 years or so.

Or he can just die alone after everyone gave up on him.

Idk, i feel like it's tied.

This dude for 2-A. Lost his mother and the normal world around him, had his dog turn into a demon, forced to fight and kill his friends, and had a tragic ending in the long run if I recall correctly. I even heard all his accomplishments were undone by Raidou to in another timeline.

I'll add a character for 9-A - Connor Kenway

The man who had his village burned to ashes along with his mother at young age, had to leave with nowhere to go and only was seeking for vengeance until he got to know what is right from his assassin master Achilles, and fought for freedom, but alongside men who later betrayed and abandoned him. Was forced to kill his best childhood friend who was one of the last ones who understood him and his own father Haytham, and later after killing the man who burnt his village, found his master in his house dead because of old age. He eventually fulfilled his mission and more importantly life but with heavy costs, fighting people who actually got valid reasons to fight, understanding that as he progressed in story, but he never gave up his will to fight, as he believes he is fighting for what is right and because no one else will.

One of the most underrated characters ever tbh

Back