• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The_Wright_Way

VS Battles
Retired
Bruce Wayne was casually flipping through channels when he stops on the News Channel. "The empty cruiser has arrived at Gotham Bay carrying nothing but one dead crew member and a mysterious creature frozen in a block of ice. No further information has been released at this time." Bruce scratched his chin with interest and went off to get into his work clothes.

~

It said a lot about Alfred's job when he didn't even bat an eye at Bruce returning with a small piece of a frozen alien lifeform. "So, Master Bruce, any idea what kind of extraterrestrial visitor we're dealing with?" Batman looked at the frozen specimen through the magnifying glass. "It doesn't seem to be anyone we're familiar with .... hold on." Bruce looked closer, trying to understand what he was seeing. "It's still alive. It's some kind of .... Thing that consumes and imitates whatever it comes into contact with." Batman gasped at a sudden realization. "Alfred, that corpse on the boat wasn't dead, it's a Thing and if I don't stop it, it'll assimilate all of Gotham. Meanwhile, at the funeral home, the dead body of the crewmember began to move again....

-

TL'DR: One Thing with a human forms is trying to assimilate Gotham. It starts near the heart of the city at a funeral home. Batman knows all about the Thing but doesn't know where it is or what form it's taken. He starts at Wayne Manor.

Speed Equal. Post Crisis Batman.

E28df5dec59f7396411972e1d2645fa2--batman-art-batman-poster
vs.
The Thing
Nightmare Fuel in all his power.

TitanCrusher101 said:
Is this Batman vs The Thing or whether or not Batman can save Gotham in time?
Both. Thing can win either by killing Batman or by consuming all of Gotham.

That makes it trickier, but I'm still going for Batman, due to his Equipment and Experience. Plus, you said Batman knows all about The Thing, and Batman with Prep is definitely strong enough to take down a few aliens.

TitanCrusher101 said:
That makes it trickier, but I'm still going for Batman, due to his Equipment and Experience. Plus, you said Batman knows all about The Thing, and Batman with Prep is definitely strong enough to take down a few aliens.
Elaborate. What part of his equipment lets him win and what experience does he have that will help him here?

Well, explosive batarangs highly exploit the thing's weakness to fire. And he's fought aliens before, I don't see why this encounter would be much different.

TitanCrusher101 said:
Well, explosive batarangs highly exploit the thing's weakness to fire. And he's fought aliens before, I don't see why this encounter would be much different.
This is Arkham Series Batman. Don't think he's fought anything before. Best we get is that it's implied he hung out with Superman

Batman has no clue what funeral parlor the Things are at. He will have to find it, then track the Things down. By the time he even gets close to catching them, they will have assmilated a TON of people. Gotham is based off of New York, which has a ridiculous population density. Even if the Things can't get into buildings they can easily find homeless people on the street, or walk into pubs. And that is assuming that it is night. If it is daytime, they can just walk around the streets touching people and have an army within minutes.

The Thing low-diff

Wait, yeah, this is Arkham series Batman. All he has to try and catch them is his Batmobile. Plus, I completely forgot how Thing's assimilation works. The Thing mid-diff.

Batman literally has no way to win. All of Gotham could be assimilated within hours. Hard to fight an entire city, eh?

I am being absolutely serious when I say that Superman would probably be a fairer opponent. That is how outmatched Batman is

Even Post-Crisis Batman

At the absolutely worst case for the Thing, when Batman goes directly to the exact funeral parlor, Wayne Manor would still be around five minutes away. That is enough time for the Things to break out of the parlor, walk out, and just start touching people. New York (which Gotham is based off of) is so dense that people are easy to come by. Even if Batman finds all five within five minutes, the chance that they havent touched someone is astronomical. And add to that he doesn't know exactly who he's looking for.

At absolutely worst case, the Thing assimilates a crowd and crushes him via weight of numbers

Couldn't Batman just whip up an antidote or virus to counter the Thing and use the batwing to spray it over Gotham or something? Like a virus that specifically targets Thing cells or something? I really want this to be fair.

I can remove the "saving Gotham" thing from the win conditions. Thing only wins if it can kill Batman.

TitanCrusher101 said:
What are the weather conditions? Gotham is a cold place and Thing is dormant is colder temperatures.
I doubt Gotham gets anywhere near as cold as the Arctic.

I don't see Batman winning unless he has the Hellbat suit. He's going to either die with Gotham or go insane for not being able to save anyone.

TitanCrusher101 said:
Batman would go insane if he ends up killing all of Gotham though, it would be a lose lose situation.
Kind of like the movie itself actually. And with how grimdark Elseworld Batman stories can be it seems oddly fitting. At least Alfred's still alive and potentially the rest of the Bat family assuming they aren't in town. (Let's assume so for the sake of keeping this between Bruce and Thing.)

The Wright Way said:
TitanCrusher101 said:
Batman would go insane if he ends up killing all of Gotham though, it would be a lose lose situation.
Kind of like the movie itself actually. And with how grimdark Elseworld Batman stories can be it seems oddly fitting. At least Alfred's still alive and potentially the rest of the Bat family assuming they aren't in town. (Let's assume so for the sake of keeping this between Bruce and Thing.)
inb4 this creates Batman Who Laughs 2.0

One thing, Batman has a much better chance. I'm not sure if he would win though, as Crimson stated, Gotham has a VERY dense as it is based off of New York. I say Batman wins with High-Diff. Ending in Batman Who Laughs 2.0

It's probably worth noting that Batman could end up going to the funeral home first thing. He saw the news report and knows that the Thing was disguising itself as a corpse. He'd likely go to funeral homes just in case it's still doing that.

Going to the funeral home first thing would be a very dumb move that Bats would not make. Thing could spot for him before he spots it and kill him when he least expects it.

TitanCrusher101 said:
If bats knows all about The Thing, he needs to plan all of his moves out. If Thing gets close enough to Batman, it's all over.
Only if it hits his face. It can't assimilate him through his armor.

Seeing as to how huge Thing can make its mouth, yes. I never said it would kill Batman if Batman was looking at him, but if he catches him off guard, he's dead.

Back