• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Authors you think is a powerscaler?

Haruki_Shizu

He/Him
Is there any author that is proven or confirmed to be a powerscaler?
Is there any author that you suspected is a powerscaler? What makes you suspected them?

probably some of the marvel and DC writers tbh. Can't elaborate much on it, I just think that it is expansive enough to have a side of it dipped in powerscaling.

Dog Ningen writer is aware of powerscaling and makes a powerscaler satire character that appears in a chapter or two.

Lately definitely Murata. He already started making inflating WC feats with the constellations, sage centipede, and similar stuff, but the SP² destroying dozens of stars for no reason made it clear.
Even more so the recent use of dimensional shenanigans that hype up Gods later scaling.

I think Murata and One realized the (almost) only relevancy OPM has nowadays is in power scaling so they started feeding the PSs reasons to keep reading.

OPM Manga has always had better feats than the WC since its beginning, it's nothing new.

Better drawing lets you have better shows of destruction, and in the manga Saitama has fought way stronger beings than in the WC. Hell, the strongest fight Saitama has had in the WC was Monster Garou, which was completely skipped, unlike in the manga, where Saitama not only fought Monster Garou but fought beings amped in power by God.

Saying Murata and ONE are "feeding powerscalers to keep them reading" because the scale of the feats in the manga are way higher than in the WC is like saying that to Toei Animation because Dragon Ball Anime has way better feats than the manga

I think Yogiri's author is considered to do this? That being said, I don't read the series Yogiri's, and have only seen the discourse surrounding him, so I have no idea if it's deserved or not.

the real ones

and

Whatever on earth Chinese novel/webcomic writers cook up. If it doesn’t have dimensions or universe busting then it’s got some crazy uniquely overpowered hax.

Chinese Gacha games are more normal though

Whatever on earth Chinese novel/webcomic writers cook up. If it doesn’t have dimensions or universe busting then it’s got some crazy uniquely overpowered hax.

"Ah yes, I can feel my omnipotence becoming infinitely more omnipotent!", Shit's lives rent free in my mind and it hurts, don't know where it's actually from though

I think Yogiri's author is considered to do this? That being said, I don't read the series Yogiri's, and have only seen the discourse surrounding him, so I have no idea if it's deserved or not.
Debatable, but I'd lean toward him not being one, poor guy just wanted to write a little story but brainrotted scalers with deficiencies in reading catapulted his work into high heaven, making little powerscaling goblins read his work for nothing more than PWS.

As far as the story goes, he's just a normal isekai author, really. Nothing good or "nothing bad" if you compare it to his peers.

Last edited:
"Ah yes, I can feel my omnipotence becoming infinitely more omnipotent!", Shit's lives rent free in my mind and it hurts, don't know where it's actually from though
The fact that even Sun Wukong from the OG journey to the west is pretty haxed and is tier 1 probably says a lot about how broken characters from Chinese media are

I think people confused "coolness" factor with powerscaling.

If a verse has Multiversal feats and FTL+ statements then it isn't powerscaling necessarily. It just suppose to be super cool to impress other people.

Powerscaling is niche anyways but it is pervading in dozens of circles and has a decent growth (not the nerdy type but like "Goku can destroy a universe" "Nuh Uh my character controls Death") type beat.

Some authors are aware of it yes but it doesn't make them powerscalers

Ok now, let's say I wrote a book that somehow scales to boundless, in this situation, what you would be looking for in the book to tell whether the book is a legit book to be taken seriously or a book that's written by a powerscaler?

Ok now, let's say I wrote a book that somehow scales to boundless, in this situation, what you would be looking for in the book to tell whether the book is a legit book to be taken seriously or a book that's written by a powerscaler?
Nope Tier 0 character/thing wouldn't even get me to bat a eye,

Nope Tier 0 character/thing wouldn't even get me to bat a eye,
Let's say it only appeared at the end of the book and the book itself is about a human group that's looking for artifacts that's connected to higher beings, at what point you start to wonder whether the book is serious or a powerscaling nonsense?

In a way, I feel as though all Shonen authors are "power-scalers," but not in the traditional definition of the one we use on VSBattles

Shonen is literally, fundamentally, all about strong people beating each other up with cool abilities and blowing places up. Ground-breaking statement, I know. Constant escalation of power is almost a must in the genre. Piccolo blows up the moon? It's only natural that Vegeta has the power to blow up the planet, and even more natural for Frieza to be able to blow up a planet in his 1st form. Sasuke learns the Chidori? It's only natural that he has to create an even stronger move called "Kirin" that blows up ** because ** being blown up is cool. That's why there's manga like Black Clover straight up saying "They even had to burn [and freeze away] concepts" because that's cool and awe-striking. It's also because Dragon Ball is literally the grandfather of all Anime, but I have the feeling even without Dragon Ball, Shonen having characters blowing up ** would still remain a constant. Authors made characters blow up stuff because it's cool. In their minds, they take inspiration from Dragon Ball (God I know how much mangaka have seen and been inspired by Dragon Ball) and other factors in their life and say to themselves "Let's have our characters blow ** up"

Personally, I call it power escalation. There's probably a formal term for it somewhere, or I literally just said it and I don't know. Authors are only "power-scalers" in the way of saying "Character A would be more powerful than Character B because X, Y, & Z"

Is this just all a roundabout way of saying the obvious? Yes. It probably is.

Let's say it only appeared at the end of the book and the book itself is about a human group that's looking for artifacts that's connected to higher beings, at what point you start to wonder whether the book is serious or a powerscaling nonsense?
In such a setting talks about there being a tier 0 monad doesn't sound unlikely and it being a final reveal doesn't sound unlikely either. In fact the premise you just outlined could fit as a bonus story for Cthulhu Mythos like a glove

In a way, I feel as though all Shonen authors are "power-scalers," but not in the traditional definition of the one we use on VSBattles

Shonen is literally, fundamentally, all about strong people beating each other up with cool abilities and blowing places up. Ground-breaking statement, I know. Constant escalation of power is almost a must in the genre. Piccolo blows up the moon? It's only natural that Vegeta has the power to blow up the planet, and even more natural for Frieza to be able to blow up a planet in his 1st form. Sasuke learns the Chidori? It's only natural that he has to create an even stronger move called "Kirin" that blows up ** because being blown up is cool. That's why there's manga like Black Clover straight up saying "They even had to burn [and freeze away] concepts" because that's cool and awe-striking. It's also because Dragon Ball is literally the grandfather of all Anime, but I have the feeling even without Dragon Ball, Shonen having characters blowing up would still remain a constant. Authors made characters blow up stuff because it's cool. In their minds, they take inspiration from Dragon Ball (God I know how much mangaka have seen and been inspired by Dragon Ball) and other factors in their life and say to themselves "Let's have our characters blow ** up"

Personally, I call it power escalation. There's probably a formal term for it somewhere, or I literally just said it and I don't know. Authors are only "power-scalers" in the way of saying "Character A would be more powerful than Character B because X, Y, & Z"

Is this just all a roundabout way of saying the obvious? Yes. It probably is.
Yes, shounen authors definitely scales their own work, but more to maintain consistency than powerscaling for the sake of it, although sometimes they can failed too

The author of A Wild Last Boss Appeared is most likely one, as he references the idea of powerscaling in his work, coupled with the infamous Alovenus statement. However, the brainrot only happens at the very last chapters (the verse is only Tier 4 before that, and with good worldbuilding), so if anything, he was reasonable enough with it.
We talk smack about Yogiri but wtf is this

Anyways, tbh Xianxia authors maybeeee, wouldn't say all Chinese authors since there are genuine good shit like Three Body Problem while having tier 1, but I can see that some of them done/know powerscaling.

That said, the author of Nova Laos is a powerscaler, definitely. I remember him doing scaling stuff on his tiktok while saying he didn't make the verse for powerscaling.

In such a setting talks about there being a tier 0 monad doesn't sound unlikely and it being a final reveal doesn't sound unlikely either. In fact the premise you just outlined could fit as a bonus story for Cthulhu Mythos like a glove
Yep, whether it works or not depends on writer's skill,maybe it could be executed like this:

Fatally injured from the final battle, the protagonist proceed to drink from the divine spring they've sought all this time, upon drinking it, his consciousness is brought into an abstract state, devoid of form nor quality, he feels like being everywhere and nowhere, everything and nothing.

The abstract sensation that overwhelms him manifested itself in the form of an avatar, a young woman unfathomably immaculate, she pointed to his wounds and they vanished as if they were never there to begin with, she then speak to him "go home.. you're excellent!", His consciousness then returned to reality, he and his comrades then proceed to collect the spring's water and return to their homeland

I don't know where that would actually scale lol

Anyways, tbh Xianxia authors maybeeee, wouldn't say all Chinese authors since there are genuine good shit like Three Body Problem while having tier 1, but I can see that some of them done/know powerscaling.

That said, the author of Nova Laos is a powerscaler, definitely. I remember him doing scaling stuff on his tiktok while saying he didn't make the verse for powerscaling.
Nova Laos huh? What's coming next, Nova Vietnam? Nova Thailand?

Lately definitely Murata. He already started making inflating WC feats with the constellations, sage centipede, and similar stuff, but the SP² destroying dozens of stars for no reason made it clear.
Even more so the recent use of dimensional shenanigans that hype up Gods later scaling.

I think Murata and One realized the (almost) only relevancy OPM has nowadays is in power scaling so they started feeding the PSs reasons to keep reading.
I completely agree and it's my biggest worry for the series.

When people were complaining about the end to the Garou V Saitama fight, they retconned the ending and made that huge spectacle of huge feats and whatnot with cosmic Garou. While there were a lot of people that disliked the story of it, it made a LOT of noise in the community and drove up the popularity.

So now I do get the feeling that they will just continue to make these gigantic fights with massive feats to keep the series popular... while the story suffers from it.

When people were complaining about the end to the Garou V Saitama fight, they retconned the ending and made that huge spectacle of huge feats and whatnot with cosmic Garou. While there were a lot of people that disliked the story of it, it made a LOT of noise in the community and drove up the popularity.

So now I do get the feeling that they will just continue to make these gigantic fights with massive feats to keep the series popular... while the story suffers from it.
I agree here too. Blast and saitama (well you kinda expect it with saitama, but still, he’s supposed to be unequaled) are like way too high up there right now. The whole cast even on the strong end is low tier 5, but these guys are up to 4-A/3-C including the cosmic garou stuff, and I think they are setting up empty void to be the same if not even higher still. And we’re supposed to expect flash and sonic to hold him off 🗿

Murata makes it look super cool, but it’s frustrating. Idk how the series will go if they keep upping the ante in this manner

Yeah I reread the WC version of the fight afterwards and I was actually surprised just how much better it was in terms of story and character development.
The manga version basically just gave up ridiculous feats to scale and retconned them with time travel meaning 0 actual character development happened.

I also noticed the manga just spoiled all the mysteries. Blast, Gods existence, Saitamas power to an extent, etc. All of these were super mysterious in the WC and actually interesting to theorize about meanwhile in the manga it was just "wow Blast is like SUPER strong and God made Garou vedy OP 🤯"

Xianxia and Xuanhuan aren't really written by a powerscaler, they are more of a power fantasy. Plus their own culture, religion and myths like Daoism, Classical and Buddhism are actually written like that.

Hell, I dare you to call some Buddhisavata a powerscaler because some of the work they write or even Wu Chang'en for writing Journey to the West. Recent CN webnovels are just power fantasy that follows those cultural styles of writing.

Chinese authors
any work that has surpassed tier 2
I've seen some examples of xianxia bullshit fights and got brain damage from it lol, I don't know where it's from though, got any example that lives rent free in your mind?

Xianxia and Xuanhuan aren't really written by a powerscaler, they are more of a power fantasy. Plus their own culture, religion and myths like Daoism, Classical and Buddhism are actually written like that.

Hell, I dare you to call some Buddhisavata a powerscaler because some of the work they write or even Wu Chang'en for writing Journey to the West. Recent CN webnovels are just power fantasy that follows those cultural styles of writing.
bro the author of blue and white was definitely a powerscaler

the lan mu character

I don’t think Gege Akutami is a powerscaler, but he definitely tries to keep consistency when writing things like the speed of his characters and things like stronger characters will always be stronger and weaker characters won’t do anything to them unlike, I don’t know, Marvel and DC where these things happen.

Back