• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Authorised staff evaluations of content revision threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BlackeJan, since this thread is staff-only, I believe you shall ask permissions to an Administrators with valid reasoning to contribute here in the thread.

@Qawsedf234

Well, we use administrators and discussion moderators as a safety valve, so regular members do not suddenly start to make massive statistics revisions on their own. However, the regular members can still offer valuable input, analyses, and explanations that the staff should evaluate, and recurrently accept.

No, their opinions are definitely not the only ones that matter, but they are supposed to make an effort to evaluate all of the most sensible arguments, and then possibly give a go ahead affirmation.

This is essentially a "tyranny of the majority" versus "elitist minority" issue. If we remove staff involvement statistics and the system in general will devolve rapidly as revisions focus more on gathering enough heads than pursuing the correct outcome. If we give staff too much power, the site can very easily turn into an echo-chamber for similar opinions that increasingly isolates itself from the user base.

We should therefore act more as facilitators rather than instigators of change, or if we wish to push revisions ourselves, have other staff members act in that role. Yes, revisions to the system itself would be staff-only, but for single verses this dichotomy should be kept in mind.

@Dargoo

Mostly agreed. I have actively been trying to pursue a balance between the staff and regular members in this regard.

Antvasima said:
No, their opinions are definitely not the only ones that matter, but they are supposed to make an effort to evaluate all of the most sensible arguments, and then possibly give a go-ahead affirmation.
The argreements was meant to be synonymous for evaluations. I do believe in all CRT evaluation, most wiki members, strive to evaluate all of the most sensible arguments. Hence, I made my points and there affirmations, re-affirmations, votes, evaluations, and agreements are all synonymous. Of courses, all valid points by staffs in a general and supporters should matters.

I agree with Dargoo about being facilitators. My belief is this, It shouldn't be the personal opinions of staffs that get a revision rejected or accepted they should only be trying to make sure the reasoning behind the revisions is sound and if they can verify this, even things they personally disagree with shouldn't be kept from bring applied just for that difference in opinion.

@Andytrenom

Generally agreed. I am glad that you have a responsible attitude concerning this.

In all honesly, I do believe that we all already strive to evaluated CRT based on valid arguments not just personal opinions.

So, since we seem to have come to an agreement, should we better clarify the descriptions linked to in the first post?

Antvasima said:
So, since we seem to have come to an agreement, should we better clarify the descriptions linked to in the first post?

• Before making sweeping or significant changes to an established and/or popular character or verse, please make a thread in the Content Revision forum first, so that the suggestions may be evaluated by the Staff and the community at large, to ensure that they are acceptable.
  • The resolving evaluations must be be taken by Discussion Moderators or Administrators with their evaluations being based on valid arguments, not personal opinions.
Inputs are welcome.

• Before making sweeping or significant changes to an established and/or popular character or verse, please make a thread in the Content Revision forum first, so that the suggestions may be evaluated by the Staff and the community at large, to ensure that they are acceptable.
  • The resolving evaluations must be taken by Discussion Moderators or Administrators with their evaluations being based on valid arguments, not personal opinions.
I did some clean up.

Noted. I made the changes and added the letter s to the first evaluations.

@Crabwhale, we just need the approval for the new rule texts, then makes changes to the relevant pages and we will be done here.

I think that probably seems fine, but we should preferably wait for input from a few administrators as well.

However, just to clarify, do all of the regulation pages that you linked to in the first post really mention this? It seems very unnecessary to mention the rule over and over.

This seems to make sense; though, I do think other staff members are allowed to give input of course. Yes, it is Discussion Mods and Admins whose input hold the most weight, but if a Bureaucrat's input if they decide to step in would also hold much weight. But there are some details in which a Calc Group member's input would also hold just as much weight as a Discussion Mod or Admin's. And some verses where the supporters and knowledgeable members happen to just be Content Mods, Chat Mods, and regular users might require help from at least one Discussion Mod or Admin to take a look.

It seems like you are correct. In that case the relevant text segments in all of the regulation pages should be replaced.

Is something like this acceptable? It better clarifies that although the staff can make an effort to be impartial, we are not perfect in this regard.

• Before making sweeping or significant changes to characters or verse pages, please start a thread in the Content Revision forum first, so that the suggestions may be evaluated by the Staff and the community at large, to ensure that they are acceptable. The concluding evaluations must be handled by Discussion Moderators, Administrators, or Bureaucrats, who should make an effort to base their evaluations on valid arguments, not personal opinions.

@Medeus

We should probably clarify that calc group members are authorised to evaluate threads related to calculations, and that help from other staff members is still appreciated, yes.

Antvasima said:
@Medeus
We should probably clarify that calc group members are authorised to evaluate threads related to calculations, and that help from other staff members is still appreciated, yes.
I just saw this post after my message. I would be fine with this proposal.

Feel free to improve on the text that I wrote above.

We have already debated the staff roles and the elitism issue to near-death - we have managed to deal with this issue with far more satisfaction since the end of the last year, so there is no need to keep striking the same bell on that regard.

We should probably just apply the changes to the page and close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back