• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Aura

So, we still have a page for characters that can use Auras.

I propose we get rid of this page, as it's virtually useless. What do we lose from indexing "Fire Manipulation (Can create an aura of fire around themselves)" instead of "Fire Manipulation & Aura (Can create an aura of fire around themselves)"?

Is there even a scenario where it's worth listing the ability AND saying aura instead of just listing the ability and explaining they can use it like an aura, which you would preferably do either way? I have failed to find any.

TBH Aura seems like a fancy way of saying "A power for characters that can surround themselves with something offensive", which isn't really unlike Danmaku, and so it'd be fine, but the fact we're giving it to anyone that uses something called "aura" regardless of how speaks by itself, and so I wouldn't mind a rename or something.

But at the very least the "types" should be changed to "possible uses" as I'm sure we don't use them like that.

Last edited:
I think Aura is completely fine since it's easier to index certain powers as "Aura" as opposed to something else.

Though I 100% agree with Bobsican that "Types" should be replaced with "possible uses" on the verse page. Not only is that list not fully comprehensive with all of the near-limitless ways Aura is portrayed in fiction, it's also kinda not that helpful when most pages don't really list the aura type to my knowledge.

Auras are very iconic and common powers, and are often far more specific than the vague powers they could technically be classified under.

We keep powers which are distinct rather than remove them just because they could technically be described with a combination of other powers.
There's countless existing examples of this, especially around things which could all be considered "reality warping".

Part of the problem with your proposal is also that we're now using the term "aura" without defining it. A lot of people don't know what it means if someone has a "fire aura".

I think Aura is completely fine since it's easier to index certain powers as "Aura" as opposed to something else.

Though I 100% agree with Bobsican that "Types" should be replaced with "possible uses" on the verse page. Not only is that list not fully comprehensive with all of the near-limitless ways Aura is portrayed in fiction, it's also kinda not that helpful when most pages don't really list the aura type to my knowledge.
We can index something as a "Fire Aura" without having the aura page.

Auras are very iconic and common powers, and are often far more specific than the vague powers they could technically be classified under.
Yeah, a lot of things have auras. That function extremely differently, and are very dependent on what the verse says it is.
We keep powers which are distinct rather than remove them just because they could technically be described with a combination of other powers.
There's countless existing examples of this, especially around things which could all be considered "reality warping".
This isn't a distinct power. At all.
Part of the problem with your proposal is also that we're now using the term "aura" without defining it. A lot of people don't know what it means if someone has a "fire aura".
A lot of people don't know what an Aura is? I didn't think someone would actually say this. I'd argue a vast majority of people know, or at bare minimum have an idea of what an aura is. "Aura" isn't even a power by itself in a void. It's just having an aura, which is extremely vague and like I said, verse-dependent.

What abilities can't be explained properly without slapping "Aura" onto it?
Well, on top of my head, I think of Superman's bio-something aura from all star superman.

Also energy auras.

I honestly don't see an issue with this power, it's a notable power that's used often in verse, and also pretty useful.

Well, on top of my head, I think of Superman's bio-something aura from all star superman.
So the ability can't be explained without the Aura page? At all?
Also energy auras.
It'd be a bit silly to just give ghosts "aura" because they glow a bit or dragon ball characters aura as if it's actually some kind of power. It's purely aesthetic.
I honestly don't see an issue with this power, it's a notable power that's used often in verse, and also pretty useful.
It's not even a power by itself. You have an aura OF something, which is the power.

How is it useful?

Again, as useful as Danmaku, but I do agree the power could use some better regulations/renaming as it's very easy to misuse by mixing it up with whatever a verse calls "aura" (hell, the image for the power features this very issue), or otherwise surrounding the user with something "useless" as you've said.

So the ability can't be explained without the Aura page? At all?
Basically
It'd be a bit silly to just give ghosts "aura" because they glow a bit or dragon ball characters aura as if it's actually some kind of power. It's purely aesthetic.
Uh not sure I get the example but not everyone has it for silly reasons like that
It's not even a power by itself. You have an aura OF something, which is the power.

How is it useful?
It is more useful than time travel our spaceflight or superhuman physical characteristics or pressure points or danmaku or or magic or so many other abilities

Basically
So you can't just list "Bio Manip" or whatever it is and explain the ability without having the Aura page existing. This ability makes no sense without the existence of the page?
Uh not sure I get the example but not everyone has it for silly reasons like that
A lot of people getting for having an aura of (whatever) power. But that doesn't mean we need a page for auras, explaining what they are and what potential uses they can have. Even when it comes to indexing, you don't need the aura page to list an ability as "Fire Aura".

Edit: someone does not typically have "Aura" as an actual ability. They can just use an ability they already have for say, a poisonous aura or the like. "Aura" is not an ability that people just, have.
It is more useful than time travel our spaceflight or superhuman physical characteristics or pressure points or danmaku or or magic or so many other abilities
I would disagree with all of this besides spaceflight. I get you on that one, but the others are worthwhile. I don't even see how you can doubt most of those pages.

Last edited:
you don't need the aura page to list an ability as "Fire Aura".
Yes you don't need to use it for fire aura, but remember, not everyone has "fire aura" my dude. Other auras are different.

I would disagree with all of this besides spaceflight. I get you on that one, but the others are worthwhile. I don't even see how you can doubt most of those pages
As useless and worthless as Aura, allllll of them can be counted under specific abilities, yet we have pages for it.

If anything, we need more powers because putting certain abilities under another is doing it disservice. We already do a lot of comprising and listing stuff under abilities which sometimes wouldn't fit for the lack of better option.

So, yes, if it wasn't clear, I obviously disagree with yeeting this ability. It's important, useful, and unique as far as I can see it.

Yes you don't need to use it for fire aura, but remember, not everyone has "fire aura" my dude. Other auras are different.
Yeah. We don't need a page explaining what abilities can be used like an aura. Fire Aura is just an example.
As useless and worthless as Aura, allllll of them can be counted under specific abilities, yet we have pages for it.
Aura isn't "under a specific ability" it's literally not a power. It's a way people can use a different power.
If anything, we need more powers because putting certain abilities under another is doing it disservice. We already do a lot of comprising and listing stuff under abilities which sometimes wouldn't fit for the lack of better option.
I mean, sure. But this power just isn't necessary.
So, yes, if it wasn't clear, I obviously disagree with yeeting this ability. It's important, useful, and unique as far as I can see it.
It is none of the above things. It's not important, people are going to know what an aura is and calling something an "explosive aura" "poisonous aura" "light aura" does not require the Aura page to exist, explaining what potential auras could arise in fiction. It is not useful, unless you think a large number of people just do not know what an aura is. It is not unique, it is not even a power by itself. Unless it's specifically a power in-verse, like it is in say, RWBY. It's having a power and it functioning a certain way.

It could be made into a term page, or go onto the VSBW dictionary. But it is literally not a power on its own. It is the way an ability can function. A potential way for an ability to function. Something that is not a power should not have a power page.

There's a lot of Aura's that are more than simply surrounding themselves with an ability, so I think we should still keep it

Why is the aura page needed for things like that? Linking to the Aura page doesn't help clarify anything. There has genuinely been no reason presented that showed why the Aura page itself is necessary.

Aura makes the explanations of specific abilities easier. Some people have an aura of abilities that don't fall under the one in the OP, like
Aura and Existence Erasure (_____ emits an aura around him/her/them that passively erases whoever touches it)

Me personally I think it's still relevant

Aura makes the explanations of specific abilities easier. Some people have an aura of abilities that don't fall under the one in the OP, like

Me personally I think it's still relevant
"Existence Erasure Aura (Emits an aura that erases things around them)" still, like i've said, the Aura page is not necessary for. There is no part of this where linking to the Aura page helps or clarifies anything.

And, it is still not a power on it's own. Aura would fit better as a term page or just being on the VSBW dictionary.

Back