• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
That's quite wrong...

Skeleturtle said:
So the total mass of the erupted lava would be 2766195314.69 kgs.
So... By this logic... If I throw 1 kiloton bomb into vulcan and somehow distabilize balance of crust... Those 1 kiloton bomb could be actually... Hm... Continent level... If I managed to hit critical spot... Just... Wow...

Edit: We need more information about geo-state of location.

Yamatohime said:
That's quite wrong...
Skeleturtle said:
So the total mass of the erupted lava would be 2766195314.69 kgs.
So... By this logic... If I throw 1 kiloton bomb into vulcan and somehow distabilize balance of crust... Those 1 kiloton bomb could be actually... Hm... Continent level... If I managed to hit critical spot... Just... Wow...
Edit: We need more information about geo-state of location.
Key words: into volcano and critical spot. Armtrong punched the surface, he didn't hit any criticl spot to distabilize the crust.

What exact info you want to know about the location?

It's actually irrilevant. Since I didn't saw any explanation about geo-state: first of all vulcanic activity nearby (around 1000 km) and seismic activity.

Yamatohime said:
How deep magma chamber, how high pressure in the said magma chamber.
I adressed how deep the chamber should be in the blog itself. And keep in mind, that's the minimal distance that Armstrong had to punch through given the Pakistan low volcanic activity. As for the pressure... That volcano I mentioned is active, meaning the magma chamber is actually open and the pressure in it should be minimal.

Yamatohime said:
It's actually irrilevant. Since I didn't saw any explanation about geo-state: first of all vulcanic activity nearby (around 1000 km) and seismic activity.
Okay, gimme some time.

Skeleturtle said:
That volcano I mentioned is active, meaning the magma chamber is actually open and the pressure in it should be minimal.
Well, actually even active vulcan can have super pressured magma chamber especially if seismic zone is dangerous.

Yamatohime said:
So here's the thing. First, the place where the fight against Armstrong happened, the US Air Base situated in Pakistan. The exact location of the base wasn't shown and the in-game name for it is fictional. According to this map, the closest to America US Airbase in Pakistan is Shamsi Air Base (which is no longer used by US anyway), the second closest one is Dlabandin Base. But it doesn't really matter which base it is. According to this earthquake map, all four bases are situated within zones with low seismic activity. As for the volcanoes within the 1000 km radius, according to this useful site that shows the location of all currently active volcanoes in the world, there are no active volcanoes in the vivinity of 1000 km. The volcano I was talking about in the blog, Tor Zawar, is situated 233 km from the closest US Air Base. It is the only recent erupting magmatic volcano in the area. Is this info enough for you?

Yamatohime said:
Pakistan is situated within moderate-to-extreme seismic zone. So an active volcano can be extremely weak point if its location is close to mountain ranges while pressure is higher there.
So what is your point? There are no active volcanoes in the range of 2000+ km of the supposed fight place and the possible places of the battle lie in the low-to-moderate seismic zone according to the map I linked. In fact, that only means that the lava is situated BELOW the 60 km range, which I used as a low end. So Im not really sure what are you tryimg to say.

My point is that pressure is quite high in seismic zones (earthquakes is "less violent" methode to lower it). And inactive vulcano in such zones means even more pressure for magma chambers compared to active ones.

As I remember right from my science lessons: Average vulcano erruption is usually vary from 0,5 megaton up to 50 megatons. Nice ones can give you around 100-500 megaton. Super-vulcano can go up to gigatons.

Yamatohime said:
My point is that pressure is quite high in seismic zones (earthquakes is "less violent" methode to lower it). And inactive vulcano in such zones means even more pressure for magma chambers compared to active ones.

As I remember right from my science lessons: Average vulcano erruption is usually vary from 0,5 megaton up to 50 megatons. Nice ones can give you around 100-500 megaton. Super-vulcano can go up to gigatons.
Why does it matter if the only inactive volcano is situated 200+ kilometres away? And yet, Pakistan's seismic map shows that the possible locations of the base are NOT sitauted in the points of high seismic activity.

That still means that Armstrong had to punch through 60+ km of rock to do that. And the eruptions he caused cannot be called ordinary due to the speed of the rising magma which was caused by the punches.

Skeleturtle said:
Why does it matter if the only inactive volcano is situated 200+ kilometres away? And yet, Pakistan's seismic map shows that the possible locations of the base are NOT sitauted in the points of high seismic activity.

That still means that Armstrong had to punch through 60+ km of rock to do that. And the eruptions he caused cannot be called ordinary due to the speed of the rising magma which was caused by the punches.
Actually magma erruption is not something that happened because of impact. After all magma under the crust is... Mantle magma. So we need to calculate how much enery we need to throw for crust shatter a little (to create local weak point in seismic active region).

Yamatohime said:
Actually magma erruption is not something that happened because of impact. After all magma under the crust is... Mantle magma. So we need to calculate how much enery we need to throw for crust shatter a little (to create local weak point in seismic active region).
It should have actually happened because of the impact, cause the regions where the base could be situated are hardly an active ones and that it's very doubtful that the magma can reach the surface from the 60 kilometres below the ground in such a short period of time just because of pressure (once again, the region is seismically stable, and lava can't naturally move at hypersonic speeds).

As I said before, City level sounds like something I can buy, but Country? No dice from me on that one, sorry. Much too outliery.

ThePerpetual said:
As I said before, City level sounds like something I can buy, but Country? No dice from me on that one, sorry. Much too outliery.
Well, dont we usually tend to go with the higher showings for self-contained franchises, like Metal Gear? There's also the fact that characters don't really have that many feats of destructive capability that don't rely on scaling to each other.

Back