• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Armorchompy Revises Random Old Games Pt. 6 - Ristar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armorchompy

He/Him
VS Battles
Thread Moderator
Calculation Group
Ristar! Quite an odd game, it was based on one of the original designs for Sonic The Hedgehog (A rabbit creature that would grab things with its long ears- which come to think of it kinda reminds me of Klonoa a bit), obviously Ristar isn't a rabbit at all but he still does grab things. It's a very cozy game, most of it isn't too challenging but it has a really nice playground vibe (Many of the people who developed Ristar would go on to work on NiGHTS which has a very similar feel).

Ristar did pretty well but it never got any sequels, probably because it was pushed out right at the end of the Genesis' era, which is a shame as I could see it adapting pretty well into a 3D environment. Regardless, I do absolutely recommend Ristar, it's a very nice, cute and charming game, though it does get pretty tough at the end (The final boss in particular is more than a bit cheap). Now, let's move on to the revised profiles themselves, as there is a bit to talk about. Specifically, a lot of feats that it does not use.
  • Ristar lighting up a galaxy (4-B) - Well, this is still on the profile, it simply has no reason to scale to Ristar's physicals, we don't know how it's done, there's no Universal Energy System or anything like that and so on.
  • Kaiser Greedy's black holes (5-A) - No reason to accept them as legitimate. They act as a fairly simple videogame black hole, suck in stuff gently and disappear after a while.
  • Kaiser Greedy shaking a planet (5-A) - From the same narutoforums blog as the 4-B feat, there's Kaiser Greedy shaking the planet a bit. That is clearly just a visual effect, considering that hitting a planet with 5-A force would destroy it. There's another issue with this scene, but I'll get to it in the next feat
  • Kaiser Greedy's explosions (6-B) - I know it's 6-B because I calculated this and originally planned to use this feat as the verse's primary feat, but it was pointed out to me by SamanPatou that this is actually just the enemies crash-landing on to the planet, not a direct attack, given that the very next scene is the planet being raided by enemies: Kaiser is likely not actuallly there, a lot of games of this era use "big bad appears in the sky" as a visual metaphor- think Streets of Rage 2 or Rocket Knight Adventures. Not only that but the explosions don't seem to leave any actual damage and might just be flashes of light. The planet does shake as if it was impacted though and the whole thing is generally quite weird, but still, better to be safe.
Beyond that, there isn't much else to talk about, flight speed shouldn't scale to reactions, and some P&A was changed. That's all, have a good day.

Unrelated to this specifc game but @Armorchompy can you link the blog you had that covered the list of games you wanted to tackle, I think I remember seeing Golden Axe which should be pretty extensive since it's got a couple of games under it's belt

I want an excuse to play it again lol

Here you go, it's nothing official or anything eh. I think Saman as well as I also had ideas to maybe do something about GA lol. I know Revenge of Death Adder has a High 8-C-ish feat.
Thanks fam, that sounds interesting 👀 I don't remember a lot from it since the last I played or it was actually at least 7 or 8 years ago

Thanks fam, that sounds interesting 👀 I don't remember a lot from it since the last I played or it was actually at least 7 or 8 years ago
It's classic arcade stuff where it's fun to play but kinda bullshit hard, RODA has some very fun flourishes tho. Verse is also kinda wack in that it has like, a lot of games that are only connected by Death Adder, there's a whole ass fighting game with literally all OCs but him.

Anyway, is this fine to apply?

It seems fine to me and it seems that the support is enough for you to apply this.

I can't believe that you still have time doing this even when the Mario CRT is still being discussed. Mario revision really causes headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back