• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Arachne needs an upgrade

ArachDusa

She/Her
As you can probably tell by my username and profile picture, Soul Eater is my all-time favorite manga, but I somehow managed to not touch any Soul Eater pages on the Vs Battles Wiki pretty much since the first time I logged into it. Ever since the major retroactive revelations about the series at the end of Fire Force, I assumed that the Wiki would be at least somewhat up to date about it even though it's pretty niche, and looking at it now, it sure seems like I was wrong.
The most egregious problem with the scaling for the series, and the one I'm going to focus on is with the literal pre-timeskip final boss of the series, Arachne Gorgon. For someone with power on this caliber, she does surprisingly little fighting on-panel, with the Wiki listing her base tier as only 9-A for being stronger than base Crona. Only one problem: Arachne is more than capable of threatening Medusa, who the Wiki acknowledges as much, much stronger than 9-A, and while Medusa was in a weaker body at that time, she was portrayed as at least comparable to her original body and the wiki doesn't list it as a separate key on Medusa's own profile. You might also say that Arachne wasn't explicitly saying she could kill Medusa as opposed to her henchmen, but none of Arachne's henchmen at the time are listed on the same tier as Medusa either, nor do they have the feats to support this. By all appearances the indication is that Arachne is above Medusa, and why wouldn't she be? She was considered the biggest threat to DWMA next to Asura until after she died, and Medusa needed a complicated multi-step plan that involved teaming up with her worst enemies in order to defeat Arachne.
Which brings me to the wiki's equally lackluster treatment of Arachne's pure Madness form, one that despite being blatantly shown to be above Maka and being able to defeat Medusa in an instant, is only listed as "Unknown" solely because she became a non-corporeal entity. You could again question my assessment by saying Arachne used madness/mind hax to defeat Medusa, except once again, Arachne was capable of physically staggering black blood dress Maka and shattering Medusa's vector orb, proving she is definitely capable of physically attacking people and is if anything stronger than her base form, which should logically be the case anyway.
Of course, since Maka defeated her, that means Maka should be on that ballpark too, right? Well, I wouldn't be surprised if she was, but Maka was using a durability-negating Demon Slayer wavelength to defeat Arachne, so even if Maka's AP doesn't scale to Arachne, it's still not a contradiction. Medusa herself also got stronger right after that by literally taking over Arachne's body, so this is a lot less clear-cut than the scaling for Arachne and I'm going to leave this argument for later.
Bonus round: You may have noticed that I never specified that Medusa is listed as 6-B in the Wiki throughout this post. That's because I believe this was also a mistake. Not as severe as it is for Arachne, but there's a pretty obvious reason: Medusa is listed as 6-B for being able to fight Stein, except when she fought him, he was wielding Spirit, and the wiki said Stein and Spirit together are High 6-B. I still can't believe the wiki is this mismanaged when it comes to Soul Eater profiles.
So, in conclusion: Medusa should be listed as High 6-B, and more importantly, Arachne should be listed as High 6-B for being stronger than Medusa in base. Arachne's madness form should probably not be a separate key, but if we do make it a separate key it should also be High 6-B due to being stronger than her base form. I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback, criticism, or support for my argument and perhaps equally looking forward to see more people who enjoy Soul Eater as much as I do. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back