• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Animated Shadow Potential Page Removal (Staff-only)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsican

He/Him
(I know I'm not staff, but Ant asked me to post it here)
Continuing from the Profile Deletions Requests Thread, Animated Shadow was brought up as a page for deletion, however, the topic over it extended enought to be worthy of its own thread, and so here we are.
Anyways, as we can see on the discussion above and on the page, Animated Shadow is right now too vague beyond being related to Darkness Manipulation, and editing the wording so it's more concrete would also affect other pages, Tllmbrg also pointed out that it's mishandled in pages as well.
It's also seemingly unecessary to have around for indexing purposes when it does nothing but bring needless redundancy to Darkness Manipulation, respectively. Removing this page from profiles won't be as hard as in other cases, as less than 50 pages actually have it indexed.

Last edited:
Well, I am neutral, but we would need to create a sub-section for this power in the Darkness Manipulation page, and either create a redirect link or update all of 50+ pages that currently link to Animated Shadow.

I don't think it would even be needed as a subsection, as anything it can do is already covered by Darkness Manipulation, any other effect the respective series hold for it is most likely indexed on the respective profile already out of how dubious the power is beyond being essencially Darkness Manipulation, but more poorly detailed.
Creating a redirect could be a fast solution for a while, but it would lead to redundancy in profiles as chances are they have listed Darkness Manipulation as well.

Last edited:
Well, we need more input here. Do you have suggestion for who I should notify?

@A6colute was the one who made the page (Also including Darkness Manipulation).

Outside of that, content moderators could help here, proper power indexing is in their area after all.

I can't really see the need for it either. Any unique methods of Darkness Manipulation in a specific verse can just be explained in powers and abilities. Different verses have different versions of what a soul and soul manipulation is and we usually just explain those in verse differences on the page. Just my opinion so I'm willing to wait on what other content mods think.

Imho the wording from Darkness manipulation sounds almost identical to that of Animated Shadow:
"The power to manipulate darkness/shadows." "The power to bring shadows to life"

The opening line on each page makes the latter sound redundant, and Jvando brings up a great point that the ability can just be explained in the powers and abilities section.

Darkness Manipulation does make Animated Shadow redundant; it already makes mention of shadow constructs on the page, but we can expand on this further if necessary.

Yeah, I agree with removing it for the reasons above. I'm fully convinced.

Okay. Should we just turn the Animated Shadow page into a redirect to the Darkness Manipulation page, in order to save time, or should we be more thorough?

Just like with the Hellfire Manipulation incident, it would be best to remove it and manually replace it with Darkness Manipulation where applicable, otherwise you'll see pages that link to Darkness Manipulation twice.

Okay. Would any of you be willing to apply all of these edits?

So I just remove the link and category from pages and change the power to Darkness Manipulation if need be yes?

I think that we can probably keep the Shadow Users category, but if I am going to change it, it needs to be handled today, as the wiki will likely be updated to the UCP system tomorrow, and the Fandom Developers team has not converted the Mass Categorization script to that format yet.

Never mind. I am neutral regarding if we should change it or not. What do you think @AKM sama ?

If we are incorporating the ability page in Darkness Manipulation, then the categories should be modified accordingly too, to remain consistent. I will handle it.

Okay. Thank you both for helping out.

Should I delete the Animated Shadow page now then?

Please list them all here, so somebody else can handle them.

I updated the categories and edited the remaining profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back