• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Amphibia 2-A?

Minaaaa

She/Her
Screenshot_2022-04-18_8.20.19_PM.png

From Season 3 episode, (Escape To Amphibia)

“infinite possibilites”

my modal realism senses, are tingling. (joke)

Anyways, is “infinite possibilites” referring to universes here or is that an assumtion we’re making, because that statement just leads me to think “infinite possibilites” for what? Seems like there’s some added context that could help finalize 2-A. Whats the timestamp for this scene?

“infinite possibilites”

my modal realism senses, are tingling. (joke)

Anyways, is “infinite possibilites” referring to universes here or is that an assumtion we’re making, because that statement just leads me to think “infinite possibilites” for what? Seems like there’s some added context that could help finalize 2-A. Whats the timestamp for this scene?
Timestamp: 1:23

It's just how we've always taken it unless directly contradicted somewhere, we assume the actual meaning of the word, not a synonym
yeah and extremely great in amount is also a possible meaning and definition of the word? its not a synonym, a synonym is a different word that has a similar definition. assuming one definition over another is fallacious.
Unspoken method, we always use it unless contradicted + proved to be an hyperbole
thats appealing to tradition, saying its was always that way therefore its the way we should do it or continue to do it, especially if its not a rule.

its kinda weird that you guys would just ignore an alternate definition of a word to get a crt past, but hey i dont have enough emotional attachment to the verse to care so, do what you want.

yeah and extremely great in amount is also a possible meaning and definition of the word? its not a synonym, a synonym is a different word that has a similar definition. assuming one definition over another is fallacious.

thats appealing to tradition, saying its was always that way therefore its the way we should do it or continue to do it, especially if its not a rule.

its kinda weird that you guys would just ignore an alternate definition of a word to get a crt past, but hey i dont have enough emotional attachment to the verse to care so, do what you want.
Assuming the primary definition the word is entirely known for isn't fallacious at all.

Assuming the primary definition the word is entirely known for isn't fallacious at all.
yes it is its an unwarranted assumption. if you are presented multiple possible definitions, you judge what is the best definition to use based on context. without that, you can't gather what the meaning is.

again i don't care enough about this verse so do whatever

yes it is its an unwarranted assumption. if you are presented multiple possible definitions, you judge what is the best definition to use based on context. without that, you can't gather what the meaning is.

again i don't care enough about this verse so do whatever
When you hear the word "infinite" what is the first Definition that comes to mind? And then think about what the average consumer is going to think when they hear the word "infinite". That's like saying "oh well time is infinite" in actuality means the other, far lesser known definition that is rarely ever used in any media.

Nor do I.

When you hear the word "infinite" what is the first Definition that comes to mind? And then think about what the average consumer is going to think when they hear the word "infinite". That's like saying "oh well time is infinite" in actuality means the other, far lesser known definition that is rarely ever used in any media.

Nor do I.
I think of the definition that fits best in the context. Arguing this definition is the case because its more popular or well known is just appealing to probability.

I think of the definition that fits best in the context. Arguing this definition is the case because its more popular or well known is just appealing to probability.
It's more like appealing to the definition that is known by basically everybody, instead of appealing to the definition that a far, far, far lower percentage of people actually know- let alone the children and teenagers who'd actually be watching the show so...

vague justification + we have no knowledge if these universes are space-times, so as it stands with the scan given, no it wouldnt be.
Ignoring the infinite possibilities part, I am pretty sure the wiki consider countless universe as 2-B unless there proven otherwise (something like they share the the same temporal dimension or it’s a quilted multiverse). Amphibians definitely had a time flow so at worst it still a low 2-c.

It's more like appealing to the definition that is known by basically everybody, instead of appealing to the definition that a far, far, far lower percentage of people actually know- let alone the children and teenagers who'd actually be watching the show so...
so in other words appealing to popularity. You are saying that because you believe this definition of the word is more popular, therefore it is the definition they are using. thats still fallacious.

They do reference Amphibia as another dimension, as you need an interdimensional portal to get there.
Screenshot_2022-04-18_10.48.06_PM.png
Screenshot_2022-04-18_10.53.46_PM.png
Screenshot_2022-04-18_10.54.50_PM.png
Then the countless worlds statement would be considered 2-B and infinite possibilities statment would mean they wound need to have infinite worlds which is 2-A. Usually we need information regarding the dimension's size since dimensions in fiction vary but considering they called it a multiverse I think it's fine.

As a whole, I'd say just rate the cosmology "At least 2-B/Multiverse level, possibly 2-A/Multiversal+" since it's odd that they would put "Countless worlds" and "Infinite possibilities" together to mean the same thing since countless really just means unquantifiable in number and infinite means... well infinite so if they wanted to have a infinite multiverse than they would have just said infinite worlds but that's just my opinion.

However, I'd need to ask, does Amphiba have a different time flow than Earth' s dimension? Like if it's day time in Amphibia, is it night time on Earth? This would prove the dimensions are temporally separate as well. If it's just not gone into then I still think At least 2-B, possibly 2-A for the cosmology is the best bet.

However, I'd need to ask, does Amphiba have a different time flow than Earth' s dimension? Like if it's day time in Amphibia, is it night time on Earth? This would prove the dimensions are temporally separate as well. If it's just not gone into then I still think At least 2-B, possibly 2-A for the cosmology is the best bet.
When Anne got transported back to earth in True Colors, it was day time. When Sasha and Grime left the castle in, Turning Point, it was night time. Sasha and Grime scene took place canonically a couple of seconds after Anne got transported back to earth.
A9AA0F33-30BC-47F8-A36F-FC0BECE8D1B6.png
3346D417-1F84-4704-976B-389DE1EC1037.png

As a whole, I'd say just rate the cosmology "At least 2-B/Multiverse level, possibly 2-A/Multiversal+" since it's odd that they would put "Countless worlds" and "Infinite possibilities" together to mean the same thing since countless really just means unquantifiable in number and infinite means... well infinite so if they wanted to have a infinite multiverse than they would have just said infinite worlds but that's just my opinion.
Completely agree, more logical to presume its 2-B and not 2-A

When Anne got transported back to earth in True Colors, it was day time. When Sasha and Grime left the castle in, Turning Point, it was night time. Sasha and Grime scene took place canonically a couple of seconds after Anne got transported back to earth.
A9AA0F33-30BC-47F8-A36F-FC0BECE8D1B6.png
3346D417-1F84-4704-976B-389DE1EC1037.png
Then yeah, they should have different time flows.

Weird, I've never heard countless being used as a term to debunk infinite before since it's generally agreed countless by itself is 2B but with evidence can also mean 2A. Infinite possibilities is evidence that the latter definition is being used, not a contradiction imo.

Nope, It has been confirmed that they have that Earth time Is Amphibia time
Could you provided a scan?

Weird, I've never heard countless being used as a term to debunk infinite before since it's generally agreed countless by itself is 2B but with evidence can also mean 2A. Infinite possibilities is evidence that the latter definition is being used, not a contradiction imo.
The problem is how it's used. It says there are countless worlds which in itself means an unquantifiable large number, yet then it says infinite possibilities. If they wanted an infinite multiverse then they would have said infinite worlds.

I'm not saying it's not 2-A, just that the wording used makes it sound odd.

There's a difference between what something can mean and what it does mean. It says infinite, so we'd take it as infinite, which means an endless amount or nonfinite. If it isn't contradicted, why would it mean anything else? And if you were to propose that it does mean something else, you'd need evidence that it does.

It's standard definition is listed as limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.

The mathematic definition is listed as greater than any assignable quantity or countable number.

The grammatical definition simply says another term for nonfinite, which automatically implies infinite

In physics, it's listed as a space or quantity that is infinite.

Why would the amount of universes/possibilities only mean "a great amount" here? There's no evidence that this is the case.
vague justification + we have no knowledge if these universes are space-times, so as it stands with the scan given, no it wouldnt be.
Vague implies that something is uncertain, indefinite, or unclear of it's meaning. There's nothing vague about the statement. It's clear cut and specific.

"There are countless worlds in the multiverse. Infinite possibilities."

There's a difference between what something can mean and what it does mean. It says infinite, so we'd take it as infinite, which means an endless amount or nonfinite. If it isn't contradicted, why would it mean anything else? And if you were to propose that it does mean something else, you'd need evidence that it does.

It's standard definition is listed as limitless or endless in space, extent, or size; impossible to measure or calculate.

The mathematic definition is listed as greater than any assignable quantity or countable number.

The grammatical definition simply says another term for nonfinite, which automatically implies infinite

In physics, it's listed as a space or quantity that is infinite
I love how you left out the definition that doesn't imply your argumen't to be true.
Anyways, if you are saying that in this context it refers to something truly non finite as opposed to extremely great in amount, then you would need to prove it. If we have multiple possible interpretations of what a word can mean, we need to be able to determine what definition we are supposed to run with, or its just inconclusive.
Why would the amount of universes/possibilities only mean "a great amount" here? There's no evidence that this is the case.
Im presenting it as a possible interpretation/definition, not a certain one. So unless you can justify why the nonfinite interpretation of the word is the greatest, we cant reach a conclusion of the meaning.

I love how you left out the definition that doesn't imply your argumen't to be true.
Because the definition you are referring to isn't the primary or most prominent definition of the word, and wouldn't make sense in the context of the scan, which is analytical in nature. Why would they be referring to "a great amount", or anything that doesn't mean nonfinite when it explicitly describes it's size here?
Anyways, if you are saying that in this context it refers to something truly non finite as opposed to extremely great in amount, then you would need to prove it.
It was already proven.

The idea that word "infinite" didn't actually mean "infinite" in the scene is unsupported and nonsensical. Likewise, this is a poor attempt at flipping the burden of proof. "Infinite" by it's standard and mathematical definition explicitly refer to something that is nonfinite in quantity, and the term "possibilities" is mathematical in nature.
If we have multiple possible interpretations of what a word can mean, we need to be able to determine what definition we are supposed to run with, or its just inconclusive.
The vast majority of definitions relating to infinity almost always boil down to something that is nonfinite. Why would it mean anything else, and why would they not just say "a large amount of possibilities" or something else of that nature? It's not my job to prove that the usage of the word "infinite" means "infinite" when used in a literal context. It's already spelled out to us.

Vague implies that something is uncertain, indefinite, or unclear of it's meaning. There's nothing vague about the statement. It's clear cut and specific.
Yes vague because why would they specifiy countless just for it to be infinite. This isnt some japanese manga so there is literally no logical sense for it to be that way.

Because the definition you are referring to isn't the primary or most prominent definition of the word, and wouldn't make sense in the context of the scan, which is analytical in nature. Why would they be referring to "a great amount", or anything that doesn't mean nonfinite when it explicitly describes it's size here?
But it's still a definition and therefore we must consider it regardless if you consider yours the most probable or likely or prominent definition. The purpose of this scan is to describe the nature of of these space times, which i can interpret to mean "a **** of them" as opposed to literally limitless. Both definitions of the word explain the nature of the multiverse and are equally applicable.
It was already proven.

thats just begging the question, that presupposes the truth of your initial claim.

The rest of your argument is just you expressing your disbelief of there being another definition "infinite" that doesn't imply a limitless value, so i don't really need to address it.

Back