• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

AM Upgrades (I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream)

The profile of AM from I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream has a few details that I deem as incorrect.

First of all, the reaction speed being below average is probably not true. As already established on the profile, this is a supercomputer we're talking about. Regular computers can comprehend loads of data in what feels like an instant compared to regular humans. This isn't even a case-by-case sort of thing; if a device can't even process information as fast as an average human could identify it, then there's no reason to classify the device as a supercomputer. Doing so would be flawed logic. AM wasn't able to stop Ted from killing the other humans because Ted was fast and AM might have not expected Ted to think this was a good course of action. "Surrounded by madness, surrounded by hunger, surrounded by everything but death, I knew death was our only way out. AM had kept us alive, but there was a way to defeat him. Not total defeat, but at least peace. I would settle for that. I had to do it quickly." "All in an instant: […]" "I knew we had only a heartbeat before AM would stop us."

Next, the lifting strength is inaccurate. AM contained the humans and manipulated them to its whim. "The hurricane hit us with the force of a glacier thundering into the sea. It was a palpable presence. Winds that tore at us, flinging us back the way we had come, down the twisting, computerlined corridors of the darkway. Ellen screamed as she was lifted and hurled faceforward into a screaming shoal of machines, their individual voices strident as bats in flight. She could not even fall. The howling wind kept her aloft, buffeted her, bounced her, tossed her back and back and down and away from us, out of sight suddenly as she was swirled around a bend in the darkway. Her face had been bloody, her eyes closed." It seems like AM did those things non-physically and was capable of creating the Hurricane Bird, but technically, AM physically became part of all of Earth anyway. "We would be forever with him, with the cavernfilling bulk of the creature machine, with the allmind soulless world he had become. He was Earth, and we were the fruit of that Earth; and though he had eaten us, he would never digest us." Based on the evidence, AM should be regarded as capable of lifting at least multiple humans. I suppose the "Superhuman" rank would be a good replacement as a minimum.

Lastly, the profile makes the mistake of putting the physical strength of the character only in the Striking Strength section, even though that also counts as physical attack potency in addition to what's already listed in the Attack Potency section.

Last edited:
Wouldn't AM have extreme reaction speeds because of being a super computer and also stating he can feel stuff in a "micro instant"
Yeah AM should have like MFTL Perception or something I dont know how fast a micro instant of a super computer AI would be
The first idea is indeed the revision I'm proposing. Supercomputers process information a lot faster than humans, so AM's profile claiming that its reaction speed is slower than a regular human should be changed. However, the "micro instant" statement could be a hyperbole, and even if it isn't, it should probably be measured before being applied. Thanks for the input anyway.
Everything in OP looks fine to me.
Thanks for the input too.

I agree with most things, albeit first point falls under perception speed rather than reaction speed.
I wrote it the way I did because the profile already considers it as reaction speed, and the two are similar. I could change it to perception speed when applying the revision, since it being perception speed seems to be the consensus. Thanks for the input.

Okay but
Change to what? Like I'm not disagreeing or anything but if we're changing, we gotta think of what to change them too
Yes, we need an actual speed stat to use.
I was thinking of just adding "at least Superhuman", because I'm not familiar with how fast supercomputers can process information, but I know it's faster than humans.
AM could scale to a super computer's processing speed which is about this fast
It would be in seconds. So this supercomputer has a processing speed of 1.102 ExaFlop/s, so one processing per 1e-18 second aka 1 attosecond (MFTL+)
That's interesting, but I have no idea how that works and if it's true or not. If the VS Battles Wiki already uses such evidence on a different page, or if the VS Battles Wiki already has a standard in place allowing your idea, then please show me it, so I can be more confident in going along with what you have presented.

Seeing as AM is a supercomputer that is literally covering the entire earth, MFTL+ make sense

That's interesting, but I have no idea how that works and if it's true or not. If the VS Battles Wiki already uses such evidence on a different page, or if the VS Battles Wiki already has a standard in place allowing your idea, then please show me it, so I can be more confident in going along with what you have presented.
As far as am I aware, i don't think other pages have this for a supercomputer. It would be good to get a mod to check this out

As far as am I aware, i don't think other pages have this for a supercomputer. It would be good to get a mod to check this out
I made a questions and answers thread about the case of AM potentially having MFTL+ perception speed based on the article that was presented to me here.

At the time of me sending this message, no staff members with evaluation power replied to that thread, but the people who did reply verified that this kind of evidence is usable and reasonable as long as the supercomputer in question is considered as the fastest one. AM was considered as "God" in the story by Ted, who was tortured by AM for 109 years and who knew about how AM independently took over the planet and killed society, so I think it's safe to regard AM as the fastest supercomputer at the time. However, the evidence must be from the right time period. Not only was the article posted decades after I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream was written, but the author died before the article was posted, so he couldn't have even known about it. I decided to try searching for evidence that would be more suitable.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream was published during March of 1967. I read on Wikipedia that the CDC 6600 was said to be the first successful supercomputer, and the fastest computer from 1964 to 1969, so scaling AM above this one would make more sense. It appears to be capable of "squeezing out a peak performance of 3 million floating point operations per second (flops)." I have yet to practice identifying what counts as impressive computer stats, so please tell me what you make of this and how fast it is, if you're able to tell. I also linked the Wikipedia article itself to this text in case you want to search for more references and information there.

By the way, a staff member replied to the questions and answers thread I made, and they told me that MFTL+ would be an illegitimate ranking for the best supercomputers, since the calculations have to do with precision and simultaneous actions, not sheer speed. This makes sense to me, since faster than light speed isn't even possible in real life. I was thinking that maybe humanity discovered a loophole to simulate something similar to such speed without truly performing it, but at this point, I think it's more reasonable to just not consider it as MFTL+ speed.

Back