• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Allegedly Toriyama hates DBS anime

I heard this from forneverworld on youtube today. He has a link on the video to a translated tweet. Anybody hear anything about this and if it's true would the anime still be considered canon over the manga? This is a big deal since there are differences in the manga compared to the anime.

You are right. Toriyama is not happy with the DBS anime adaptation of the BoG and RoF.. It means we would have to considered the first two arc of the anime as secondary canon compared to the movies (which Toriyama wrote himself completely)

Toriyama on DBS

Faisal Shourov said:
You are right. Toriyama is not happy with the DBS anime adaptation of the BoG and RoF.. It means we would have to considered the first two arc of the anime as secondary canon compared to the movies (which Toriyama wrote himself completely)
Toriyama on DBS
Does this mean that DBS could be considered GT soon?

Antoniofer said:
Does this mean that DBS could be considered GT soon?
I can't wait for the third dragon ball 'canon' sequel series

Antoniofer No, Toriyama said Super is a direct continuation of the manga. However the BoG and RoF movies will be considered canon over the anime adaptation of those two arcs. Universe 6 arc and beyond are 100% canon as they're fresh material.

But yes, the first two arcs of DBS can't be considered primary canon. The feats are legit though

Here's the quote from Toriyama

"Dragon Ball Super" is a complete continuation of the Majin Buu story arc. It's got a bit of post-battle aftermath, continues with the "Battle of Gods" arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the "Revival of 'F'" arc where Freeza comes back to life, and then, I've written a strange new story where they finally depart from this universe. They're fighting against their neighbors, Universe 6! They'll yell at me if I give away too many spoilers, so I'll keep the rest a secret, but they're chasing after giant Super Dragon Balls; I think things will unfold in a bright and simple way, that will be really fun and exciting!

Basically, first two arcs of the anime can't be considered main canon, since they might have been tampered with by Toei, whatever happened Toriyama didn't like it.. That has nothing to do with the feats though since DBS is still valid, primary canon or not. So don't worry about stats

"However the BoG and RoF movies will be considered canon over the anime adaptation of those two arcs"

What are you even talking about?

So, Toriyama not liking the DBS animation makes it non-canonical? What. Also, why is Toriyama the end-all be all of Dragon Ball now? He hasn't completely written neither the two movies, nor the series nor the manga, yet he himself stated that Dragon Ball Super is canonical. Sure, he might not have liked the animation, but so what? We see plenty of divergences, changes and additions to the plot, plenty of which he at least had involvement, and that's to say nothing of the appearances of Champa and Vados so far. Is all that non-canon? Wow.

^dont worry it's not non canon. DBS is more canon than DB Kai or daizenshuu. And certainly it doesn't affect feats or stats. So it doesn't matter really.

As a vs site, we have to treat DBS anime conituinity favourably over the movies, main canon or not. So that there's no inconsistency since the anime has changed lots of stuff. Canon wont matter much in this case

Faisal Shourov said:
Wbaez93 said:
"However the BoG and RoF movies will be considered canon over the anime adaptation of those two arcs"What are you even talking about?
Canonicity
Its obvious that Anime>Movie. Akira not liking the animation has nothing to do with it.

What so because toriyama doesnt like what toei is doing with super its suddenly non-canon?I knew people were gonna make this arguement as soon as i saw this on kanzenshuu.People just love to be pick and chose whats canon and non-canon based on what they like just because you dont like something doesnt make it canon.Though i guess they could since there has never been a definitive canon in dragon ball the only thing that could be considered canon is the original 42 volumes of the manga everything else is just a headache to try and figure out whats canon.

GTgokussj4 said:
Its obvious that Anime>Movie. Akira not liking the animation has nothing to do with it.
You're right, if the movies create inconsistency for DBS it can't be considered valid for this site. We have to pick anime continuity for consistency. Since Akira said the anime is direct continuation of manga all canon debates are pointless

Celestial Pegasus said:
What so because toriyama doesnt like what toei is doing with super its suddenly non-canon?I knew people were gonna make this arguement as soon as i saw this on kanzenshuu.People just love to be pick and chose whats canon and non-canon based on what they like just because you dont like something doesnt make it canon.Though i guess they could since there has never been a definitive canon in dragon ball the only thing that could be considered canon is the original 42 volumes of the manga everything else is just a headache to try and figure out whats canon.
well we don't really need to worry about canon lol, fact is DBS is a single continuity and thats all it matters. If anybody said DBS is non canon we could just quote Akira's statement about direct continuation of manga. I do agree it's a mess, very confusing for fans

CHILLVIBEZZ said:
The animation looks like those drawings kids make in elementary school and have it hung on there refrigerator
I think that it will only get better from this point onwards

the animation for the latest episode was good

Honestly, it annoys me how icompetent Toei can be at times. Especially in recent years with several of their productions being just overwhelmingly bad... (Toriko, One Piece, etc.).

The Living Tribunal1 said:
CHILLVIBEZZ said:
The animation looks like those drawings kids make in elementary school and have it hung on there refrigerator
I think that it will only get better from this point onwards
the animation for the latest episode was good

Maybe i dont have any expectatations though dont want to feel dissappointed if it doesnt change

Sheoth said:
Honestly, it annoys me how icompetent Toei can be at times. Especially in recent years with several of their productions being just overwhelmingly bad... (Toriko, One Piece, etc.).
That's cause they wasted 70 million dollars on two CGI movies.

Sheoth said:
Hey the latest One Piece episode was pretty nicely animated. Gear 4th Luffy MMMMMMMMMM!

Sheoth said:
I think it's less 'incompetent' and more that they don't care.

They'll rake in cash no matter how bad it is, so why waste more money making it look better?

Thebluedash said:
Sheoth said:
Hey the latest One Piece episode was pretty nicely animated. Gear 4th Luffy MMMMMMMMMM!
Still. There's stuff from Toei done in 2002 that beats their 2015 stuff.

Promestein said:
Sheoth said:
I think it's less 'incompetent' and more that they don't care.

They'll rake in cash no matter how bad it is, so why waste more money making it look better?
Fun fact: During a visit to Brazil Comic Con, the Toei Producer actually admmited that their animation is underwhelming when compared to those of other anime studios, and explained that many good animators they had either died, or left the company (Doesn't explain they not hiring new good ones, but still).

I don't see why him disliking the artwork (which is very understandable, its shit) would lead to it being secondary canon, tonnes of authors can be upset at their work, or re-do certain parts.

dbz earned like 3 billion dollars in merchandize from 1986 to 2000 alone

so it does sell really well

and it does have a gigantic viewership, i know a long series with OPM level animation aint possible

but stuff like episode 27 is not too much to ask for

toei can bee very cheap

Thebluedash said:
Sheoth said:
But the pacing is absolutely ridiculously slow.5 minutes of recap with another 5 minutes of strectched out scenes before we even got to the luffy vs doflamingo fight err i am not sure if i am even gonna continue this might be time to put it on hold again i think after next episode i will because they defiently are gonna drag out the time it took for luffy to recover and go gear 4 agai

LordAizenSama said:
I don't see why him disliking the artwork (which is very understandable, its shit) would lead to it being secondary canon, tonnes of authors can be upset at their work, or re-do certain parts.
Well that's the impression I got from Kanzenshuu site, however I don't care about canon for DBS nor that it matters as we have to pick a single continuity

you missintrepret what Toriyama said he just angry what Toei does do his Dragonball = Animation department and he is very angry since it reminds him of Dragonball Evolution and he said he cant leave Dragonball alone meaning Toei will get a huge scolding from Akira the Guy who is known to be shy and nice.

LordAizenSama said:
Imagine if a studio like madhouse could animate the series........... ah that's a nice dream
A dream never come true but Toei could be better i mean the arte the highest Net Worth Aniem Company in japan if they would care they could make the best Animation ever but since that Company bring mediorice shit and get money that is good enough for them :/

Back