• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Addition of "Composite" Class Profiles for D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all. I was inspired by these profiles to create similar pages for each D&D class. To use Wizard as an example, there would be "Base" tab for every ability and resistance inherent to all wizards, along with separate tabs for the specific abilities of each subclass. Would anyone be willing to give their thoughts on the idea? I could also create a mock-up as an example.

. To use Wizard as an example, there would be "Base" tab for every ability and resistance inherent to all wizards, along with separate tabs for the specific abilities of each subclass.
If you're doing a "composite" Wizard you're going to need the following
  • A key for all of their ratings from 9-B to Low 1-A. Since said Wizard can canonically go from level 1 starter to Old One from Mystara depending on time and effort. It wouldn't be just one rating like in the Destiny profile and would even dwarf the FFXIV profile in size
  • You would need to include different tabs for the spells and resistances since there's quite a massive amount of them
  • While not manditory, unless you want to assume a baseline human you would also need to feature a racial ability list for other species of Wizard. An Elf Wizard has a different biology from a Yuan-Ti Wizard or a Centuar Wizard
  • We would probably need to work on how we do intelligence scores and lifting strength for a "standard" Wizard
  • If we include 4e Epic Destinies the Wizard would also need some more keys to them with stuff like that time traveler one

ive been thinking about doing this for a bit, how do we treat the different editions of d&d on here

Lore wise all editions are just reality shifts that happen in-universe.

so yea, i dont think compositing the editions would be the best
Compositing editions is fine, its just that you have to keep it all consistent.

To use an example, lets look at Troll regen throughout all the editions. At its highest point the Troll can regen from just a finger and can do so within 3 rounds, but most of the later editions mention that its more limited to having to taking minutes or weeks to do so. As such the profile of the Troll just uses the most common version of the regen.

You would just need to do the same for the profile.

A key for all of their ratings from 9-B to Low 1-A. Since said Wizard can canonically go from level 1 starter to Old One from Mystara depending on time and effort. It wouldn't be just one rating like in the Destiny profile and would even dwarf the FFXIV profile in size
Could it be simplified as "Varies from 9-B to Low 1-A"?

A key for all of their ratings from 9-B to Low 1-A.
I'm fine with adding those. How many keys should they have, and what levels should the keys cover?

You would need to include different tabs for the spells and resistances
Agreed. I had a feeling they'd have a massive amount of abilities.

you would also need to feature a racial ability list for other species of Wizard
I'm also fine with adding these. I can make a "Racial Abilities" tab, and then go into further detail in the notable attacks section.

We would probably need to work on how we do intelligence scores and lifting strength for a "standard" Wizard
That is true... For wizards, I think we can assume they are at least average in terms of intelligence, given that it is the most important stat for them, and that an ability score lower than 10 would give a negative modifier and thus be counterproductive to their very class. The same cannot be said about the other stats, however.

If we include 4e Epic Destinies the Wizard would also need some more keys to them with stuff like that time traveler one
Perhaps we could make separate profiles for Epic Destinies characters? Either way, I'm fine with adding more keys.

I'm fine with this as well, although I don't think it's my decision to make. I'll leave it to those more knowledgeable on D&D to decide.

i dont like just slapping on varies, it should be different keys, but i guess it would be correct if someone did it like that, i just dont like it

In this case I really wouldn't suggest that. D&D people have defined levels, abilities or higher forms where they get their ratings from. There's no need for a varies rating. Especially since like, there's no such thing as a Low 1-A wizard. The best wizard feat in the series is a 2-A and maybe a 1-C depending on how you take some novel statements.
How many keys should they have, and what levels should the keys cover?
The WIP blog I linked has most of the ratings we accept

Composite Adventuer was banned due to it not working as suggested, but composite character class was never banned.

Just an update: I am currently out of town on vacation, but I'll be back by the end of the week. Shortly after I get home I'll begin work on the composite profiles.

D&D characters essentially become composites once they reach Godhood or Immortal status, as those states are basically all lesser classes merged into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back