• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adding Recommendations to the Calculations Guide: Pixel-Scaling Fix and Rectangle Select Tool Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
That'd add extra work for me, as a user of GIMP. When using shift to draw a line with the paint tool, it shows the co-ordinates of one end of the line, the length of the line, and the angle of the line. I just use that instead of deducing the length from co-ordinates.
Don't think we need to go that far TBF.

Just use good quality pictures and draw the lines without your hand quaking all over the place.

Thing is:

Coordinates still give a good start for determining distances.
In fact, laying down good coordinates and relevant formulae are even more important than how think in pixels to use for a line or curve.

Lines are simple. Pythagoras theorem.

If curves are used, then we can still list and use some geometry math to get distances.

We could add the text Idiosyncratic recommended above:
It is advisable to use 1 pixel thick lines to minimize measurement error caused by line thickness, although in large or high-resolution scans where thin lines are hard to see, slightly thicker lines can be used as long as the thickness remains significantly smaller than the line length to maintain a low relative error. Sometimes, it can be helpful to add a small crosshair to lock onto coordinates.
To the Calculation Guide page.

But there were four people who disagreed with a suggestion of 1 pixel, and I'm not sure whether they'd be okay with this flexible recommendation of "slightly thicker lines in high-resolution scans are okay".

There still hasn't been much talk about the diagonal lines stuff.

Well, I am afraid that I am not able to help you out properly here.

We could add the text Idiosyncratic recommended above:

To the Calculation Guide page.

But there were four people who disagreed with a suggestion of 1 pixel, and I'm not sure whether they'd be okay with this flexible recommendation of "slightly thicker lines in high-resolution scans are okay".

There still hasn't been much talk about the diagonal lines stuff.
It seems like this thread has mostly been rejected then, unless I misunderstand.

Last edited:
It seems like this thread has mostly been rejected then, unless I misunderstand.
Given how this thread seems rejected and nobody wants to continue it, should we close it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back