• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get behind essence being more fundamental than the soul but not quite conceptual manipulation.

Like; essence would be your entire being physically and magically, Partially physical and partially non-physical; but not quite conceptual.

"I would have no problem with this power; concepts are general notions thus not fitting for individuals, for instance the destruction/alteration of a concept would change the perception of the world, whenever the destruction/alteration of someone's essence do not affect anyone else."

I agree with this^^ take by Antoniofer.

I would have no problem with this power; concepts are general notions thus not fitting for individuals, for instance the destruction/alteration of a concept would change the perception of the world, whenever the destruction/alteration of someone's essence do not affect anyone else.
Should I ask some other staff members to comment here?

I've only read the OP so far - but I'm not sure how much different this is to just Concept Manipulation.

I am neutral but I feel like essence manipulation is redundant and nebulous since depending on the verse's context essence could vary widely from being a soul to a concept, from what I saw,

It's important to notice just because something is named in one way it doesn't means it is. There's several verses where they generally call magic to what in reality is advanced technology or life-force, and we do not rate it as magic cuz of that. If a verses call soul to what it's defined as essence, then it's essence.

Yeaaah if you ask me that's just splitting hairs to have a fancy exclusive and unresisted hax.

"Essence" is too vague to be defined like that, and depending on the verse it would fit either Soul or Concept manip.

I disagree with having the power, yeah. This seems like it's just a conglomeration of things that can be done through other means. Hard no from me.

Is this not just concept manipulation?

To elaborate, Hardcore Leveling Warrior has a similar power where Nightmare can attack one's existence. This would just be standard EE albeit not full body EE.

I am in agreement with Bambu.

I mean, for verses such as KH concept manip is being denied, and I don't think it potentially overlapping with concept manip would make it redundant as it has been explained before.

I disagree with Essence manipulation, seems like a redundant as well as just a combination of soul manipulation, mind manipulation and empathetic manipulation. (Mind, Soul, and Heart). Also, essence greatly varies from verse to verse; I know it's elaborate for verses like Kingdom Hearts or Sailor Moon. But in a lot of verses, essence is just fancy word for personality or passion. And in other verses, essence can just be technobabble for memories.

Yeah, I agree that this doesn't seem sufficiently differentiated from concept stuff. Add in the fact that "essence" isn't a thing fiction has some unified definition for, and you just get more problems.

Thank you for all of the input. This seems to have been rejected then.

I still don’t see it being conceptual manipulation if it literally isn’t manipulating concepts.

Essence isn’t a specific thing in standard language, philosophy and fiction. But that just means the term “essence manipulation” is a bad name for a power which has similar effects to conceptual manipulation but isn’t a concept.

It's more of a conceptual issue (ironically), people call concepts to what it should be called essence; individuals do not possesses concept, they aren't generalized ideas, and do not depend of perspective of many nor they aren't a fundamental pillar of existance, they however have their own set of attributes that makes them what they are.

And once again, how the verse call soul or essence its kind of irrelevant, if it's named concept but it's definition is the one of soul, then it's soul.

We have received lots of staff comments, and are unlikely to receive any more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back