• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Adam Connover and similar profiles

Basically, we cannot constantly explain why this particular case is technically somewhat different from the rest, year in and year out, for lots of different members, and expect the rules to hold water in the long run.

@Ant I understand this. I just think that when we're establishing a set of rules which as you said is extremely important, we shouldn't not allow something if it doesn't break said rules.

"What's wrong with a profile" is extremely important if we're trying to actually create a set of rules and consistently follow them. We're judging the rules and what to accept based on what's wrong with a profile in the first place.

We indeed need standards and a line to cross, and at the same token shouldn't remove something if it doesn't break said standards or cross said line.

Also people often bring up Andrew Hussie and Annoying Dog to justify author avatars. If we don't have a problem with explaining why we make exceptions with them from time to time, I don't see why we should have an issue with occasionally explaining why Adam differs.

And Adam garnered no controversy at all for the entirety of his profile's existence until one user who you said was being very troublesome made a brief mention of him.

But again I respect your authority and whatever your ultimate decision is.

Anyway, I have to go back to sleep, but extremely strongly oppose keeping these types of profiles in the wiki, given that I will inevitably be the one who has to constantly deal with the demands for entirely removing our floodguards for the ocean of shallow incoherent nonsense.

Couldn't we just put a note on Adam's profile explaining as to why his profile would be allowed? Adam is from a series with a storyline, from a major TV Network with reoccurring characters. It just happens that he has the ability to break the fourth wall and is aware of the fact that he's fictional. Like Ryukama said, it hasn't caused any issues up until today, and only issues with a single user.

But if you feel its for the best, then I have no qualms with deleting the page.

Well, either I will be forced to constantly block members who start to create nonsense profiles, and be called a hypocrite for doing so, or we could simply make our regulations a bit stricter (or more clarified in this case), and move such profiles to the Joke Battles wiki instead.

I do not have anything against the profile itself, I have something against the potential consequences.

@Howard Agreed, but I do not have the energy to constantly explain the distinctions for different members. I suppose that a footnote explanation in his page might be an idea, however.

I think any absolute, inflexible rulings on content are a very bad idea, as they will only alienate our userbase and lead to gradual stagnation. This has happened to many sites and it will happen to many more, and I'd rather it didn't happen to ours. We need to be open to complaints, change, and criticism. The values outweigh the risks. An influx of content will not kill the wiki, and we've already been managing it fine for some time.

Of course, we need to have standards; but we already have those. It's not something I feel needs to be discussed, as our staff already constantly works to weed out inappropriate pages, give justification and explanation where it is needed, and make the wiki a better place. You are not the only staff member here, Ant, and the burden is not yours alone.

Again, I'm neutral on the page. A justifying note would be good.

I'm neutral on the whole thing especially since I already asked about something similar to this a while back (vanilla profiles) but I think Prom has a good point. From a visitor perspective, it'd be kinda suffocating if the rules are extremely specific, not that it's a bad thing.

Well, I suppose that Proemestein makes a good point, but all that I have been suggesting is to insert a clarification about that characters need to be notable/popular, and originate within actual stories. I consider those very important requirements/filters.

I understand, it's just that this is a trend that I see the wiki is turning to, it showed up here, and therefore this was a good place to address it. And you're right, Ant, those are important.

Thank you. So is it okay if I mention that in the Editing Rules page?

Also, there is likely no need to worry about stagnation yet. I have been checking the Quantcast statistics, and we currently have 140000 individual visitors every month.

I think that it is exactly because we keep this place structured and orderly that it is popular. We also have more than 20 times as many page views every month now as in the days of the chaotic mess that the wiki was in when I first came here.

Complete chaos should be our main concern to prevent from happening again.

Yes, I'm fine with it.

Well, a big reason why we're so popular compared to other vs sites, like OBD, would probably be because we're more open and less exclusive. Of course, we have to keep things well-structured and prevent chaos; however, we haven't gotten anywhere near a notable amount of chaos. We're in a good spot right now.

Yes. Currently I think that we have hit a good spot of balance.

@Promestein I have now adjusted/clarified the rules somewhat:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/index.php?title=Editing_Rules&diff=927400&oldid=885005

@All I suppose that you can insert an explanation note into the bottom of the Adam Connover profile, but if the page continues to be a problem, due to demands of allowing characters from advertisements, memes, and similar, we will probably have to move it to Joke Battles instead.

Back