• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

About the dimensional tiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would depends of how the verse consider it, as the theory physics do not talk about that. Neither remember how Flatland showed it. Personally, I would make it stronger, not by default.

Misunderstanding I believe, people thinks that in order to have an additional axis the character needs to have infinite size (and thus having "beyond infinite mass"), but that is incorrect. They also tends to confuse a being from a higher plane of existence with a higher dimension.

An extradimensional being (let's say, 4d) its capable to change its own perspective, by slightly move through the 4d axis, being capable to "disappear" from the universe (actually, it just moved outside of the universe's axis). But beyond that there's no other powers it can give.

From a geometrical viewpoint, even the biggest 3-D object is insignificant compared to the smallest 4-D object. I don't think all powers work this way, however.

Its like comparing an sphere of coordinates of [1, 1, 1] with an square of coordinates [10^20, 10^20] (coordinates being [x, y, z]). The sphere may have an additional axis (and have more mobility), but is size in the 2d axis its insignificant compared with the square.

Ultima Reality is going to make sure that higher dimensions have to be considered as qualitatively superior by a fiction to warrant a higher tier in his upcoming revision of the system. Currently we go by basic geometry rather than how physics work in the real world.

Although, geometric part from maths, that it comes from science that cover physics, so, it is the same, isn't it?

By the way, one can read Flatland, mathematicians and physicists use it as reference of how extra-dimensional beings would interact with 3d beings.

Probably, although I once read that in projective geometry a higher dimension projected into a lower one would always be infinite.

Antvasima said:
Probably, although I once read that in projective geometry a higher dimension projected into a lower one would always be infinite.
I have some books on geometry so I can check if that's true.

Don't think than that its the case unless the 3d being (projecting in a 2d axis) have a size of [infinite, infinite, z]. As a example, if a square meet the sphere in the same axis the first one would see the sphere as a line (since that its how 2d beings in theory see other, plus perepheric view) of finite size; the the sphere decide to move through the z axis then, from the square perspective, it would seems like the sphere its decreasing or increasing its size (or completely disappearing).

Okay. It is not my area. It is just something that I read once. Anyway, Ultima will revise our system eventually.

Example a 3d character can't be said to be more powerful than 2d one because there is no way for them to interact with each other. One has a whole another spatial axis to move in.

We should probably close this thread. It will not lead anywhere.

When he has finished preparing and the wiki isn't so busy with other policy-related revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back