• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ability Addition: Crystal/Gem Manipulation

should be pretty simple, I think.

Crystal Manipulation should get its own page. There are enough characters that utilize Crystals through their abilities, and a large amount of media generally considers it to be entirely separate from raw earth, or a combination of earth and something else like light.

Characters that come to mind with this ability include:
  • The Knight (Hollow Knight), through Crystal Dash
  • Guren (Naruto), through Crystal Release (This is a particularly notable example, because currently her "Crystal Manipulation" leads to a ******' powerlisting page
  • Rin Tohsaka and Luvia Edelfelt, through Jewel Magic (Which is a separate thing from earth magic entirely in the setting)
  • Sableye, Diancie, and other Pokemon with Power Gem
  • Earthbenders (Avatar) can bend Crystals as well as earth
  • Diamondhead (Ben 10)
  • Ganondorf (Zelda) can seal people in crystals
  • Mega Man (Classic) through Crystal Man and Jewel Man's weapons (In the former, Crystal is even considered a separate ability from an earth-type weapon within the same game)
  • InuYasha can manipulate and create diamonds
  • Any Kryptonite Users from DC
  • Any gems from Steven Universe

So there's definitely enough characters to warrant such a thing, and the ability has enough examples of being considered separate from earth enough to have its own page.

Yeah I guess this makes sense, it's often distinct enough from just earth manipulation, just like metal manipulation, which also has a page of its own, despite just being a variation of earth manipulation as well.

So I agree

Okay i meant to say Crystal/Gem, not CrystalGem, so that's lol
(You can edit the title of the OP by editing the OP itself)
Anyways, I'm neutral on this, but I'll remind that this would only cover manipulating crystals, and any "fancy" ability that comes from it like Light Manipulation would be added in a page separately, and so this isn't much different from Earth Manip, although it may be used often enought in many verses to deserve being a subpower.

Another example is Princess Daisy from Mario gaining crystal powers in a few spinoffs.

But yeah def think this is worthy of It's own page cause not all crystal/gem manipulation users also can manipulate Earth too.

I was going to argue against this, but we have Metal Manipulation and Hellfire Manipulation which is a subset of two existing elemental powers already. I think this one is good so that we don't have to link Earth Manipulation to anyone who manipulates gems, otherwise new users who read those pages will think that they can control other aspects of the earth as well if they have Earth Manipulation just for controlling gems and crystals.

I was going to argue against this, but we have Metal Manipulation and Hellfire Manipulation which is a subset of two existing elemental powers already. I think this one is good so that we don't have to link Earth Manipulation to anyone who manipulates gems, otherwise new users who read those pages will think that they can control other aspects of the earth as well if they have Earth Manipulation just for controlling gems and crystals.
We don't have Hellfire Manip anymore, it was redundant and most imporantly tried to generalize a power that doesn't necessarily have certain effects and was best just listed as Fire Manip plus whatever other respectively involved powers for each case.

should be pretty simple, I think.

Crystal Manipulation should get its own page. There are enough characters that utilize Crystals through their abilities, and a large amount of media generally considers it to be entirely separate from raw earth, or a combination of earth and something else like light.

Characters that come to mind with this ability include:
  • The Knight (Hollow Knight), through Crystal Dash
  • Guren (Naruto), through Crystal Release (This is a particularly notable example, because currently her "Crystal Manipulation" leads to a ******' powerlisting page
  • Rin Tohsaka and Luvia Edelfelt, through Jewel Magic (Which is a separate thing from earth magic entirely in the setting)
  • Sableye, Diancie, and other Pokemon with Power Gem
  • Earthbenders (Avatar) can bend Crystals as well as earth
  • Diamondhead (Ben 10)
  • Ganondorf (Zelda) can seal people in crystals
  • Mega Man (Classic) through Crystal Man and Jewel Man's weapons (In the former, Crystal is even considered a separate ability from an earth-type weapon within the same game)
  • InuYasha can manipulate and create diamonds
  • Any Kryptonite Users from DC
  • Any gems from Steven Universe

So there's definitely enough characters to warrant such a thing, and the ability has enough examples of being considered separate from earth enough to have its own page.
I thought this was a Steven Universe CRT 😐

I would deem crystal manipulation as just earth manipulation; although, we also have metal and sand manipulation despite also being forms of earth manipulation, so guess I'm neutral.

I would deem crystal manipulation as just earth manipulation; although, we also have metal and sand manipulation despite also being forms of earth manipulation, so guess I'm neutral.
That's pretty much the crux of it. Like i said in the OP, Crystals are treated as somewhat different from earth, just like how Metal and Sand are. And for that matter, just how Ice is treated as different from Water

Like has been said already, this would fall under earth manip. But we do have metal and sand manipulation, I personally believe it's prominent enough and generally separated from straight up earth manipulation in fiction. So I can agree with this.

Ability itself is fine, but what do we name it? If we're including diamonds crystal manip won't work and if we're including crystals, gem manip won't work. Crystal/gem manip also seems weird as a name

Crystal Manipulation serves the purpose well imo. That's what most people consider such when referring to it as an ability, technicalities of what is "Crystalline" and not doesn't need to be considered for this imo.

Personally, I think that as long as fiction treats it differently and characters can only specifically controls crystals/gems, this is fine. Earth Manipulation has a ton of variety in characters who can only specifically manipulate one form of Earth and this is one of the more prevalent ones.

This seems like a subset of Earth Manip (much like other [Material Name] Manipulation abilities I've seen thrown around) but if people feel it is distinct enough I don't think there's active harm in having such a page.

Crystal Manipulation serves the purpose well imo. That's what most people consider such when referring to it as an ability, technicalities of what is "Crystalline" and not doesn't need to be considered for this imo.
We would have to specify in the page that gems and diamonds are included for practical reasons though.

I think that we should wait for a bit more staff input first.

Back