• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Ton of Devilman Problems

I've seen anime Devilman and Amon took center stage, not sure of its canonicity though.

@Crzer: Which anime? The classic shonen anime version of Devilman is a separate canon from all of the manga iterations. The old movies are also based on manga chapters from the very first series, but there're a number of changes compared to the source IIRC. And the Amon movie is based (very loosely) on The Darkside of Devilman.

@Dark: I think all of Nagai's characters are linked in a multiverse type of deal (I'm pretty sure there's even a Devilman/Mazinger Z crossover manga), but I dunno if the Cutie Honey characters have actually appeared in Devilman's universe or vice-versa.

They may be linked. But OVAs are going to be unreliable as far as manga canon goes, since many of the animated adaptations of Nagai's works are wildly different from their source material.

May have to look into the manga stuff, though. I've never actually read any of the Cutie Honey volumes, so I can't tell you what's in any of that.

Pretty largely yes, but in different variations and continuation. In many series they have a same roles, like in Leijiverse every character exist in various series, due they uniqueness.

Yeah, he might not be well-known in the States, but Nagai's work has had a shocking amount of influence on other manga writers in Japan.

So I looked into things further, and I found something important.

While the part about there being numerous alt-timelines in this franchise, there does exist a "canon", and not all of the published Devilman material is part of it. The "canon" works are:

• The original Devilman manga
  • Shin Devilman
  • Devilman Lady
  • Devilman Saga (the most recent, and supposedly the final, installment in the main series)
The rest of the material, including the The Darkside of the Devilman (which is where a lot of the high-end Tier 6 feats seem to be coming from) are spin-offs which are either retellings of old stories or alt-continuity sequels/prequels/interquels of sorts. None of those are linked to each other, and none of them are actually contained within the main series.

Profiles for the "spin-off" versions of Devilman can probably be made later on, but the four manga iterations above are the ones that should be focused on for now. Akira/Devilman as he appears in these is canonically the same character throughout each installment, so we can probably just make keys for his existing profile based around the four appearances.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
So I looked into things further, and I found something important.
While the part about there being numerous alt-timelines in this franchise, there does exist a "canon", and not all of the published Devilman material is part of it. The "canon" works are:

• The original Devilman manga
  • Shin Devilman
  • Devilman Lady
  • Devilman Saga (the most recent, and supposedly the final, installment in the main series)
The rest of the material, including the The Darkside of the Devilman (which is where a lot of the high-end Tier 6 feats seem to be coming from) are spin-offs which are either retellings of old stories or alt-continuity sequels/prequels/interquels of sorts. None of those are linked to each other, and none of them are actually contained within the main series.

Profiles for the "spin-off" versions of Devilman can probably be made later on, but the four manga iterations above are the ones that should be focused on for now. Akira/Devilman as he appears in these is canonically the same character throughout each installment, so we can probably just make keys for his existing profile based around the four appearances.
What about Violence Jack: this world made by canon Satan, so it worth to take it to.

No, sadly. It's explicitly an AU, so the feats don't scale.

Violence Jack could probably have his own profile on the wiki once the main Devilman page is revised, but that may be a while. Better to focus on the core works in the main timeline for now.

And I almost forgot about the prequel story Demon Knight, consisting of 3 chapters and events, that occur before the original manga over many millions, if not billions of years.

Dark649 said:
I'm not sure if the verse of Cutie Honey is linked to Devilman?.
Cutie Honey vs Devilman Lady, that if you don't count in Shin Cutey Honey, Re: Cutie Honey or the games.

This reminds me, we need to make a Honey entry.

Arekusuripa said:
Cooltaff12 said:
Good that we have that version.
True, plus one of the most powerful Honey for all time.

Maybe. She is the fastest, but Cutie Honey Flash is the powerfullest and with the most active hax. She also has a second transformation.

WeeklyBattles said:
His High 6-A stat has no calc to back it up, and the current feat is referring to damage that took place over the course of 20 years instead of as a single attack
Not anymore, because as shown by the new series, most of the destruction of Earth surface is caused by final battle of Devilman and Satan, so his feat is looks real, for the most of part.

Yeah...hate to be the bearer of bad news, but wherever that scan of the moon was from (read: the one I was referring to a month ago), it certainly didn't come from the first Devilman installment. The moon is very much intact after the climax of that manga.

The moon 1 (Devilman)
The moon 2 (Devilman)
If the splitting of the moon indeed happened in the new anime, then that's a fairly serious deviation from the source material and should be taken as its own case.

@MrKingOfNegativity, moon take from Neo Devilma and Devilma (live action), and as Masaaki Yuasa claims in his interview, he take inspiration from various Devilman materials (for example Ryo and Akira know each other from childhood - taken from Devilman Saga), also final moment suggests that this may not the end and perhaps the story is not over yet.

Neo Devilman is a spinoff manga made up of short stories. It isn't officially part of the main canon, so at the absolute best, it would be considered its own case as well. We can't use it in conjunction with feats from the main four installments, especially since it heavily contradicts those works.

@MrKingOfNegativity The moon being split in half was from Neo not classic, no? It shows it wasn't shading like you originally suggested. I agree with you in the sense that Devilman should be split into various different versions, due to the time-loop stuff. I'm just saying Crybaby kind of confirms was actually split in Neo Devilman, due to Yuasa saying he drew heavy inspiration from it.

Fair. Admittedly, I haven't read Neo in a long time (I haven't read any of these stories in a long time), but the respect thread that was linked only showed the solitary scan with no context, and a fair number of mangaka like to use the same kind of "negative space" effect when they're drawing/shading things.

As far as splitting up all of the different versions of the character goes, the Devilman incarnations featured within the main four works (Devilman, Shin Devilman, Devilman Lady and Devilman Saga) can be contained within a single profile, since they're all the same exact character despite the whole "universe resetting" plot device. The others (spinoffs, short stories, etc) are probably going to be contained in their own separate profiles though.

I can see where you were coming from at the time, being honest, although I always found it as the moon being split. Nice to know Crybaby confirmed it.

I agree with you splitting them up like that, although Demon Knight is canon to the main Nagai series', IIRC. And Strange Days is a sequel to Dark Side of Devilman, as well. The rest are self contained, unless any sequels are made.

Crybaby Devilman seems to be the most powerful version of Devilman, in terms of raw stats, which is cool at least.

Well, that's something to remember. I realized Strange Days was connected to TDSotD, but I wasn't fully sure about Demon Knight. Thanks for clarifying.

And yeah, Crybaby is probably the strongest one. Although TDSotD Devilman has that feat of melting the surface of the planet with his "merging" ability, so he may end up being comparable depending on how high that gets calc'd. That seems like a really high-end Tier 6 feat, just from looking at it.

Most of the more impressive stuff comes from spinoffs, sadly.

DvH Devilman is up there as well. He had a lot of powerful abilities and was able to cancel out causality manipulation somehow. 009 Devilman, while not as powerful as Crybaby, Darkside of Amon, and Hades Devilman, is probably the fastest version of Devilman, due to blitzing 009 in his accelerator mode.

I've always found it strange how spin-off Devilmen is always stronger than mainline Devilman, despite the strongest versions also being written by Nagai.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
As far as splitting up all of the different versions of the character goes, the Devilman incarnations featured within the main four works (Devilman, Shin Devilman, Devilman Lady and Devilman Saga) can be contained within a single profile, since they're all the same exact character despite the whole "universe resetting" plot device. The others (spinoffs, short stories, etc) are probably going to be contained in their own separate profiles though.
Agreed, but I would say this. Not all Neo Devilman chapter is in this continuity, but those who where drawn and written by Go Nagai are. These chapters are chapter 5 and 9.

Back