• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A Little Help ??

So, I was trying to calculate Bruce lee fastest kick, which you can see in this video...

so the problem is that, as you have already noticed, the quality is pretty much "bad", but anyway I tried my best in this but still facing some trouble in calculating it.

ddxl6Bt.jpg

Those are 2 frames combined together, The first one is before he kicked, the second one is after he kicked and got his leg back.

Purple Line = Bruce Lee Height = 388px = 1.72m
Orange Line = The First Movement = 491px = 2.1765m
Green Line = The Second Movement = 103px = 0.4565m
Total Movement = 2.633m

This Kick took 3 Frames out of 25 FPS, Therefore 3/25 = 0.12 sec
Velocity = 2.633/0.12 = 21.94 m/s

Bruce Lee Weight = 64kg
Kietic Energy = 0.5*Mass*Velocity^2 = 0.5*64*21.94^2 =15,407 Joules or Wall Level.

If you can calculate it better than this, then feel free to share your knowledge in the comments.

I've seen faster kicks than this, notably the 136 mile per hour taekwondo kick by Bren Foster on Fight Science, which is shockingly consistent with the kicks dished out by soccer players, their kicks can send the balls flying at 131 miles per hour.

I've also seen values of 72 mph for Chuck Norris and 80 kph for Bruce Lee (Which matches your 21.94 m/s value) but these two are unsourced.

I used his entire mass intentionally as if you have seen the video you would realize that he moved his entire body not just his legs.
@UltimatePharaoh

Turning your hips is not using your entire mass. If one were able to channel their entire mass and generate force into a strike, wrestling would be utterly useless in nature, which it isn't.

The body must move in a strike, especially in his fight style. It allows him to be loose and agile, bounce off targets he strikes and avoids getting grabbed. If you saw him only hit static, wall-mounted objects, it'd be easier to show you why this line of thinking isn't correct. It's not a tackle or bellyflop, the whole mass is certainly not being used.

Please keep in mind too. When they filmed these, the cameras cannot possibly see each and every step of his movement. They capture only a particular frame rate, especially older film cameras, where they are physically limited in their perspective to capture reality. Combine that with the obvious subpar video quality, angle, lighting, etc and its clear what we're seeing needs to, at bare minimum, be taken with a grain of salt. Because believing everything you see is going to lead us down a calc rabbithole that is far off the mark.

@DaReaperMan

Extra point, but, calling a feat "superhuman" when a real-life person performs it, means its no longer superhuman. Yeah, maybe in our wiki's guidelines it fits the criteria, but if that's something a real athlete/martial artist can do, then clearly it is within human ability and not "super human". Yes, if all else is right, its Wall level. But superhuman is a misnomer. Street level is the more appropriate term you should be using.

I've seen faster kicks than this, notably the 136 mile per hour taekwondo kick by Bren Foster on Fight Science, which is shockingly consistent with the kicks dished out by soccer players, their kicks can send the balls flying at 131 miles per hour.

I've also seen values of 72 mph for Chuck Norris and 80 kph for Bruce Lee (Which matches your 21.94 m/s value) but these two are unsourced.
if so, then the 136 mph Bren's kick is also Wall Level, even by using only his leg mass.

if so, then the 136 mph Bren's kick is also Wall Level, even by using only his leg mass.
Actually, RKE would knock it down quite a bit. Even without that, it's not his entire leg that is travelling that fast, only his lower leg, which would knock it down to Street level+.

Also I've heard some opposition to the kick being that fast, if it truly was 60 m/s, ordinary humans would not be able to see it. Though even that is sus considering football kicks that fast actually exist on that metric, maybe it's just one part of the leg moving fast.

Last edited:
Actually, RKE would knock it down quite a bit. Even without that, it's not his entire leg that is travelling that fast, only his lower leg, which would knock it down to Street level+.

Also I've heard some opposition to the kick being that fast, if it truly was 60 m/s, ordinary humans would not be able to see it.
Using some extremely rough estimates, I got 2,569J (Athlete Level) using a rotational method.
I'm not claiming that number is correct by any stretch, but I was just curious how much rotational kinematics would reduce it.

Using some extremely rough estimates, I got 2,569J (Athlete Level) using a rotational method.
I'm not claiming that number is correct by any stretch, but I was just curious how much rotational kinematics would reduce it.
Well, Shogun Rua's kick was approximated to have hit 2749 ft-lbs of force, with a much lower kicking speed. Maybe I was wrong after all.

Last edited:
So, I was trying to calculate Bruce lee fastest kick, which you can see in this video...

so the problem is that, as you have already noticed, the quality is pretty much "bad", but anyway I tried my best in this but still facing some trouble in calculating it.

ddxl6Bt.jpg

Those are 2 frames combined together, The first one is before he kicked, the second one is after he kicked and got his leg back.

Purple Line = Bruce Lee Height = 388px = 1.72m
Orange Line = The First Movement = 491px = 2.1765m
Green Line = The Second Movement = 103px = 0.4565m
Total Movement = 2.633m

This Kick took 3 Frames out of 25 FPS, Therefore 3/25 = 0.12 sec
Velocity = 2.633/0.12 = 21.94 m/s

Bruce Lee Weight = 64kg
Kietic Energy = 0.5*Mass*Velocity^2 = 0.5*64*21.94^2 =15,407 Joules or Wall Level.

If you can calculate it better than this, then feel free to share your knowledge in the comments.

Outlier

Back