• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A "common misconceptions about the wiki" explanation page?

Yobo Blue said:
Perhaps this is a bit presumptuous, but when this is done it may be a good idea to link it in the automated message every new user gets.
I think it not a bad idea once the page is done. Frankly, speaking, it is quite easy for Administrators to add the change to the Welcome Message from a few edits.

Coming back from sleep;

@Sera

I think we came off on the wrong foot. My idea of a "Common Misconceptions Page" or your standard FAQ isn't meant to try and turn around contructive criticism of the system, feed into rumors/controversy, any of that. I feel like your concerns that it will develop into that are valid, however I don't think anyone here has disagreed that we should carefully pick topics to discuss and word them as neutrally as possible. Heck, the first thing I proposed for it was basically a statement encouraging users to voice objections to statistics they don't agree with.

I was assuming we were making the page as more of a hub for info on a need-to-know basis for new users. As I've said I speak to users from outside of the site all the time, and consistently when I try to introduce them to the system here there are misunderstandings and confusion in everything you can think of here. So yes, an additional FAQ page would do absolutely no harm should we handle it well, which I feel like the staff and users here are perfectly capable of.

While I doubt it was intentional, the wording of "The opinions of those guys from Comicvine, SpaceBattles, Reddit. Youtube, etc. do not matter. Of course they're going to hate on us." is what I was reffering to when I said I was worried about the attitude set by your comment. Like you said, as a site we should welcome contructive criticism; and the tone of this segment in particular didn't seem to reflect that. So apologies for misunderstanding your point there, although I still feel like that could have been worded better.

It seems we're on the same page with an FAQ, though, which most other users commenting here seem to also agree on.

Shouldn't we collaborate on creating a FAQ page first?

I mentioned that I had started a draft, and I've added some possible Q&As on it, but I haven't gotten any further suggestions since then.

As I've said, a little redundancy doesn't hurt anyone, and the concept here is to be more concise and link to those pages.

As I've said, most new users have a hard time finding relevant information in the extremely large pages we have here.

Yobo Blue said:
And while we are at it, I'd also like to point out there is nothing stopping us from covering questions not already covered by the Wiki Pages.
Like what?

Obviously, I can't cover every one of those issues on my own, hence why I asked for suggestions. Unless the argument is that we've addressed every possible issue that may ever come up in these pages already?

Back