• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

A "common misconceptions about the wiki" explanation page?

I wanted to make this as I wanted to address things that seem to confuse and dissuade new users from joining.

This is about anything that is generally misunderstood about us as a wiki and our methods.

For example:

"Neither, Bureaucrats, Admins, or any other staff members decide statistics for our profiles. Statistics are decided by both normal users and staff who make various threads on the content revision board, commonly referred to as a CRT."

It doesn't have to be that matter-of-fact, but it should be generally that sort of issue, though statistics and tiering issues can be addressed as well.

This could be a good idea. Should I place a link to this in the official highlights thread?

It would certainly be better to have a page with all this information rather than just have to regurgitate the same information ourselves over and over.

To come with another suggestion, we should probably mention that we do not dislike the Marvel Comics characters. We just have a very hard time figuring out how to tier them properly, since Marvel is so extremely inconsistent, along with being very dense and confusing for new readers to get into. As such, very few of our members are knowledgeable enough to help out with revisions.

I think this would be a good idea. It would help newer members intergrate into the community or allow non-members to feel more at ease with become part of the site.

Also, this reminds of something that I want to propose but that's for another thread.

It would be good if others come up with suggestions for things that we should mention in the page.

What about creating Profiles?

They should be instructed to make a Blog first pefore creating a Page

I think we could make a page detailing certain policies about the wiki that aren't related to the rules and regulations. This would include things such as clarifying how statistics are decided, how appointment of staff members happens etc.

I would also try to be careful that the page reads as a simple explanation of our policies rather than an attempt to defend ourselves against the rumors that get propagated about us in the vs debating community.

Well, I don't personally mind if we defend ourselves a bit from false rumors, as long as we do it in a polite manner.

I'd be fine with a "Frequently Answered Questions" sort of page regarding how CRTs work and similar stuff.

I don't think that there would be any point in addressing rumors like "VSBW is biased against/towards [insert franchise]". They are annoying, but we can't change someone's opinion about it unless they are willing to change their point of view to begin with, aka reading the CRTs that lead to those stats.

If they aren't willing to change their mind they'd read any attempt to defend ourselves as "look they feel the need to defend themselves because they are clearly doing it"

Exactly. Rumors get spread about and treated as facts by people who don't try to confirm things for themselves, it's not just this site, it's the same everywhere.

There's no point in participating in the discussion and giving the idea that we actually bother ourselves with what some mean people say about us.

A FAQ would help but I'm not sure it would actually stop many from simply saying "it isn't worth it".

I'm not opposed because I could be wrong, so I suppose I'm neutral.

I'm pretty neutral on if it's made, but if the page is made extra special care needs to be taken when writing it to not come off as overly condescending. As having this sort of page with that sort of tone would more likely just drive new users away.

"While we actively work towards having accuracy in each verse featured on our site and we list agreed upon statistics on pages, it is unreasonable to say our listings are concrete and have no room for error. Pages are actively changing nearly all the time here, and we actively encourage new and veteran users to analyze and question statistics they see as incorrect on the site."

This is mainly because one of the biggest misconceptions of VSBW comes from forum users who look at and scoff at page details, as if the entire site here backs statistics that are on pages, and the material on pages are our set-in-stone end-all-be-all consensus.

The fact of the matter is that we're not very different than forum sites in terms of consensus, and it might be nice to note that it isn't unreasonable to disagree with statistics that we list.

I mainly agree with this being made, it'd greatly reduce the flak we get from other websites

We will get crap from the outside no matter what we do. There are various misconceptions about VSBW that are preconceived and we are so large and popular that it was bound to happen anyway. This is the same mistake as making a literal apology in the form of the Dimensional Tiering page. Pardon my French but, we don't have shit to prove to anyone, especially not other vs debating sites.

I do not agree with this at all. It sounds good on paper, but the application of such a page will do nothing. Casual visitors are what matters and our popularity and sheer influence offsite is evidence that our system works and our methods to keep it that way have worked. Yes, we do need to change various bad habits of ours and keep our commumity stable and clean but that's about it.

The opinions of those guys from Comicvine, SpaceBattles, Reddit. Youtube, etc. do not matter. Of course they're going to hate on us. They are going to hate on us because we're an organized body so most members here have generally the same mindset. They believe the tier system is systematically forct ed into new members' minds, not understanding the simple fact that our vs matches are based on the tier system so it's not like someone can come out of nowhere and say a 7-A with no hax can beat a High 1-C simply because they have a hate boner for dimensional tiering.

We will get hate so long as we don't think The Living Tribunal solos all of fiction.

We will get hate so long as we don't use "Megaversal" "Multi-Multiversal", "Omegaversal" "Omniversal", and similar made up terms. Yet they have the audacity to give us heat because we made up Outerverse. Hypocrisy much? It's called hating.

We will get hate so long as we don't think Marvel is the strongest verse in fiction.

We will get hate whether we use dimensional tiering or not

We will get hate so long as Antvasima, Matthew Schroeder, Dragonmasterxyz, Weekly Battles, and Promestein are members.

We will get hate so long as Kepekley and myself members.

We will get hate so long as our "cult leader" (DarkLK) is a member.

It goes on and on and will never stop. So why should we care? It's 2019 and people still think we wank anime and downplay comics. It's pathetic. We only get hate because we're highly influential. Vs debaters from all around the web are using our system, our logic, and our terms. Of course we're going to get hate from kids that don't agree with that. It's a matter of their immaturity rather than our incompetence. And I know for a fact that we don't even do everything right and our culture, in my opinion anyway, is currently damaged and in need of a soft reboot.

Now then, I'm neutral on making a FAQs page, a blog would be better honestly but it wouldn't exactly harm anything to make on of those. So long as it pretains to the inner workings of the site, such as CRTs and so forth, that's fine. I'm not okay with another "Sorry, This is Just How We do Things" page.

For the same reason anyone else is. Misconceptions about her character. We all have misconceptions about us.

Ah. I just noticed your reply up there Kal. Yes, I certainly agree.

Antvasima said:
To come with another suggestion, we should probably mention that we do not dislike the Marvel Comics characters. We just have a very hard time figuring out how to tier them properly, since Marvel is so extremely inconsistent, along with being very dense and confusing for new readers to get into. As such, very few of our members are knowledgeable enough to help out with revisions.
Maybe the whole idea of tiering incomplete and inconsistent imagination might be wrong in the first place. Or perhaps the whole set system on which current tiering system is based is Inherently incorrect. And its not just the details, readers are confused about how rule based domain incoporated into such discrete system. Thats just what i can think to top of from newbie's perspective.

I've been saying for months that "Marvel is one of the most inconsistent verses in existence" needs to be removed from the verse page. Or worded in a less exaggerated way. We already properly explain within the Marvel and DC Powerscaling rules why we have stricter rules with them power scaling wise, so that extra tidbit, especially worded the way it is, only supports the false narrative that we hate comics. That couldn't be further from the truth.

Marvel and DC simply don't care about stats, which works against any serious vs debating perspective. For the purpose of indexing fictional characters they are by far some of the most difficult. It has nothing to do with the tier system either, as even lower tiered earthbound heroes are difficult to powerscale.

That doesn't really make them not inconsistent though. Not many verses where you can scale everyone to tier 1 if you take things super literally.

I didn't say they weren't inconsistent. How many times do I have to say that the general rule of thumb for writing anything in a public article (not a thread or blog), should be written from an NPOV (Neutral-Point-of-View) meaning free of/without bias. The phrase "most inconsistent in existence" is a biased statement, not a neutral one, as it is worded to an exaggerated degree. Again, I did not say they were not inconsistent, I'm saying reiteration is redundant, we have a whole page explaining our procedure for those two verses and they aren't the only comic verses out there.

Back