• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

9-C+ Bone Breaking Tournament. Round 1 Match 7. Suzune Hiragi vs Ip Man

Ms Wolf or Ms Panther is more accurate here since her bear form is restricted due to being a tier above, haha.

In combat, she primarily fights with wolf claws which, despite their apparent small size, she can "extend" during attacks to increase their reach, range and size. It's not a conventional extension, as the claws themselves don't become larger; however, when she does a swiping movement to attack with them, the range and reach of her claws supernaturally increase (I can probably show a panel when I get home, if you want). Othersiwe, she's also a competent martial artist, primarily in karate. She doesn't rely on martial arts by themselves, and instead combines them with her Mag Mell ability to hit harder, have longer range and better mobility, and compensate for her smaller body frame.
Stealth often makes up for a good part of her fighting style, especially as a panther, allowing her to drastically reduce sounds she makes and to move quietly. For example, she successfully tailed a superhuman with enhanced senses across kilometers without being discovered. Her transformation allows her to be very nimble and acrobatic, effectively making her able to fight on most terrains.

Does Ip Man have access to his optional equipment here or not? If he's fighting only with his fists, Suzune's range advantage is more pronounced. Suzune's movement speed is also higher, which allows her to more comfortably stay a safe distance away from Ip Man as she claws him down.

Ms Wolf or Ms Panther is more accurate here since her bear form is restricted due to being a tier above, haha.

In combat, she primarily fights with wolf claws which, despite their apparent small size, she can "extend" during attacks to increase their reach, range and size. It's not a conventional extension, as the claws themselves don't become larger; however, when she does a swiping movement to attack with them, the range and reach of her claws supernaturally increase (I can probably show a panel when I get home, if you want). Othersiwe, she's also a competent martial artist, primarily in karate. She doesn't rely on martial arts by themselves, and instead combines them with her Mag Mell ability to hit harder, have longer range and better mobility, and compensate for her smaller body frame.
Stealth often makes up for a good part of her fighting style, especially as a panther, allowing her to drastically reduce sounds she makes and to move quietly. For example, she successfully tailed a superhuman with enhanced senses across kilometers without being discovered. Her transformation allows her to be very nimble and acrobatic, effectively making her able to fight on most terrains.

Okay, so Donnie has experience with fighting those with extended ranges (Martial Artists with weapons like Axes and poles), so how supernatural is supernatural? Also, IP is consistently at equalized speeds, however, some of his attacking and reaction speeds can reach, at most, 1.3x greater. He is a very VERY skilled martial artist. Very skilled bare hands against bare hands, bare hands against weapons (extended melee range and gun; can disarm opponents easily), weapons to weapons (Staff and sword). IP man uses Wing Chun most of the time but if the situation is getting rough he starts using unconventional means and other forms of Martial Arts. He is capable of out-skilling very skilled martial artists even when they outnumber him by a sizeable margin. He is very high in the skill department in this tourney. I don't know what AP Ms. Wolf* is but judging by the references page, breaking neck is about athlete level which doesn't fit the criteria for the tournament. There is a range of values for breaking bones with the highest at 9920 J. If we use that then IP man is 1.4x stronger. Can you tell me the accepted calc of her AP if you find? I'm not sure if her stealth is useful since she is face to face with Donnie at a range of 10m.

Without weapons IP man can handle her extended melee range, with weapons this should become easier. He is a far greater martial artist though. So does her stealth mastery apply to the sound of just her movements? Will she resort to stealth at this sort of close range?

Here are some panels I got from the manga about Suzune
Instance of her claw attack, where she was further away from melee range
Dodges a bunch of vines
Sneaks up on a superhuman by running through the trees and leaping on branches
Matches the speed of some dog-bear alien hybrids and easily beats them
Reacts to and dodges underground attacks

There sadly aren't calcable feats for her. What we know is she's physically stronger than and successfully grappled/pinned down a character who was stated to crush bones like twigs, higher with kinetic energy and piercing damage. She can however likely be compared to real-life animals, who fit into the tournament threshold.

I saw the feats and videos linked on Ip Man's profile, it's honestly impressive. Clearly, he's the superior martial artist here, and he has more experience anyways. Thankfully it's not what she primarily relies on.
The agility and speed she has is akin to the real animals, but applied on a body that can equally fight on four or two legs and combined with fighting styles and reflexes acquired through martial arts, which translates to a quick and versatile combat ability. She managed to avoid a wave of thin vines chasing her which required precise movement; even if caught by something, the unique aspect of her claws can allow her to slice through the opponent as long as she can do a swiping motion. With her higher range and increased damage from the piercing/slashing damage of claws, even one hit will likely cripple the opponent, since they will bleed and IP can't heal himself.
Since this is SBA, the location is Central Park, which has lots of trees Suzune can climb on and silently hop from branch to branch. She likely won't start with this in this situations where her opponent is in front of her, but depending on how the fight goes, it'd be in-character to use the terrain to her advantage.

Movement speed seems to be an advantage Suzune holds, combat speed seems about equal, while IP's attack speed can surpass Suzune's depending on the attack used.

Here are some panels I got from the manga about Suzune
Instance of her claw attack, where she was further away from melee range
Dodges a bunch of vines
Sneaks up on a superhuman by running through the trees and leaping on branches
Matches the speed of some dog-bear alien hybrids and easily beats them
Reacts to and dodges underground attacks

There sadly aren't calcable feats for her. What we know is she's physically stronger than and successfully grappled/pinned down a character who was stated to crush bones like twigs, higher with kinetic energy and piercing damage. She can however likely be compared to real-life animals, who fit into the tournament threshold.

I saw the feats and videos linked on Ip Man's profile, it's honestly impressive. Clearly, he's the superior martial artist here, and he has more experience anyways. Thankfully it's not what she primarily relies on.
The agility and speed she has is akin to the real animals, but applied on a body that can equally fight on four or two legs and combined with fighting styles and reflexes acquired through martial arts, which translates to a quick and versatile combat ability. She managed to avoid a wave of thin vines chasing her which required precise movement; even if caught by something, the unique aspect of her claws can allow her to slice through the opponent as long as she can do a swiping motion. With her higher range and increased damage from the piercing/slashing damage of claws, even one hit will likely cripple the opponent, since they will bleed and IP can't heal himself.
Since this is SBA, the location is Central Park, which has lots of trees Suzune can climb on and silently hop from branch to branch. She likely won't start with this in this situations where her opponent is in front of her, but depending on how the fight goes, it'd be in-character to use the terrain to her advantage.

Movement speed seems to be an advantage Suzune holds, combat speed seems about equal, while IP's attack speed can surpass Suzune's depending on the attack used.

Okay, so I am basically dealing with a girl capable of changing to different animals. Her ability to snap necks like a twig is athlete, and if we assume it's other bones than from street to street+ (according to the common ref. calc page) so how can we decide her AP? I guess ill leave it up to @Peppersalt43. Even from the wolf page on the wiki, I have no idea, it may have been retconned to wall level from street level+(their crushing skull feat). So I'll leave OP to decide what to do fairly. And does she bite or use her claws? because biting is where natural wolves get their AP from. Is her transformation instantaneous? Can she turn to every animal and wouldn't she take the weaknesses of that animal? What animals has she used so far?

Okay so if the match doesn't start in the open field part of Central Park then IP would make his way there which is only about a couple of tens of meters depending on the starting location. The trees aren't large and they aren't as dense as to restrict visibility. IP man should still keep up with her on guard. Piercing damage? IP man has dealt with a lot of sharp weapons, by a lot... I mean an entire army with sharp weapons. If the claws are visible IP can skillfully dodge them pretty well. Suzune's AP? IP man has the durability to take her attacks if he can't dodge. Martial Arts? IP Man is capable of taking down 10 black belts in a 10 v 1, and he also has several other feats you've probably seen so He takes MA.

The only way I see IP Man having trouble is if she can somehow use her stealth. It's not like she can bait/lure someone who is extremely patient as a Martial Artist from the open field. IP Man would figure out a way to fight on open land which shouldn't be hard it's not far. Once IP goes to open land, it's probably going to be over. If the match starts in open land then It's going to be a CQC in favor of IP.

So I'm leaning to IP man

And does she bite or use her claws? because biting is where natural wolves get their AP from
Only claws, her face doesn't transform. While animals like wolves have stronger bites than claws, Suzune's claws are bigger and especially much longer than the claws of canines or felines. Even the paws of the largest felines would be unable to completely surround an adult man's neck or limbs, but Suzune's transforms arms and claws are big and long enough for that. By extension, that translates for much higher slashing and piercing damage.

Okay, so I am basically dealing with a girl capable of changing to different animals. Her ability to snap necks like a twig is athlete, and if we assume it's other bones than from street to street+ (according to the common ref. calc page) so how can we decide her AP? I guess ill leave it up to @Peppersalt43. Even from the wolf page on the wiki, I have no idea, it may have been retconned to wall level from street level+(their crushing skull feat). So I'll leave OP to decide what to do fairly.
For reference, when the neck-breaking character Suzune scales to commented on breaking necks, she crushed a branch with one hand. Not snap, but crush. I don't know how that would translate in AP, but crushing wood is more impressive than snapping it. Also, from my above comment, Suzune's claws should, at the very least, compare to the power of the bites of large felines.

Is her transformation instantaneous? Can she turn to every animal and wouldn't she take the weaknesses of that animal? What animals has she used so far?
The transformation is instataneous, yes. Theoritically, she can transform into any bipedal or quadruped animal, though the only ones shown so far are wolf, panther and bear, and bear is restricted here. What weaknesses would you be referring to? She gains the increased mobility, stamina, power and senses of the animals, while keeping her human intelligence and training. At the very least, no weaknesses have been shown for wolf and panther.

The trees aren't large and they aren't as dense as to restrict visibility. IP man should still keep up with her on guard. Piercing damage? IP man has dealt with a lot of sharp weapons, by a lot... I mean an entire army with sharp weapons. If the claws are visible IP can skillfully dodge them pretty well. Suzune's AP? IP man has the durability to take her attacks if he can't dodge. Martial Arts? IP Man is capable of taking down 10 black belts in a 10 v 1, and he also has several other feats you've probably seen so He takes MA.
When Suzune fought her doctor, it was partially inside a forested park, which is what Central Park is. I'd assume tree sizes would be similar, so she definitely should be able to maneuver on trees if needed. Though I do hear you for the visibility argument, that's true.
The claws themselves are visible, but when she attacks from afar, I don't know. I honestly can't tell you if the swiping motion we see here is actually what would be visible to a human or if that's just an effect added to the drawing to help the reader visualize. At the end of the day however, her claws have much higher reach than what they appear, which keeps Suzune with a range/reach advantage. I did see how skilled Ip Man is from the clips (there's a questionable use of physics though, lol) and I can believe he can handle bladed weapons. However, these are "retractable" claws without the downsides of retractable weapons and with a size much larger than the handaxes or spears I saw Ip Man face. Besides, the claws are both slashing and piercing. After all, even something as basic as a pen can pierce skin without much trouble, let alone some werewolf-like claws. So even if Suzune's AP is lower than Ip Man's at face value, the slashing/piercing damage easily make up for that

In Suzune's fights so far, nothing has managed to dodge her claws. The ways shown to prevent her from succeeding are either to block the attacks or keep her far away enough so she can't reach even with her "retractable" claws. I'll give Ip Man the benefit that he's more skilled than anyone Suzune has faced so far. However, he doesn't have any means to either block Suzune or keep her away. He may be agile, but Suzune has the agility of the animal she transforms into, which is generally quite higher than human's. But even giving Ip Man the benefit of the doubt that he's more agile than her, which I doubt, he doesn't even instinctive reactions or something similar. Ip Man's reactions range between 11.2 and 14.3 m/s (average of 12.75 m/s), while Suzune's are around 12.43 m/s, so basically the same. His attacking speed might be faster than Suzune's, but her movement speed is higher, which allows her to consistently keep her distance away from Ip Man's melee range and keep clawing him. Finally, Suzune has a higher lifting strength. If the fight were to reach melee, which Suzune would avoid since she clearly has a range advantage but if it was to get there, Suzune's LS would be enough to grapple, push or pin Ip Man down, like she did against her doctor.

Only claws, her face doesn't transform. While animals like wolves have stronger bites than claws, Suzune's claws are bigger and especially much longer than the claws of canines or felines. Even the paws of the largest felines would be unable to completely surround an adult man's neck or limbs, but Suzune's transforms arms and claws are big and long enough for that. By extension, that translates for much higher slashing and piercing damage.

Then it creates ambiguity again if she doesn't bite. If she copies their characteristics then her bite force will match their AP. Is this man not reading our arguments? edit: nevermind, I will go with the AP we agreed on. I was just wary about piercing damage.

@Peppersalt43 YO WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SUZUNE'S AP

She may have piercing attacks that could damage a typical human however IP Man has superhuman characteristics so its going to be a bit more difficult to discern if the piercing damage would do much without knowing their difference in strengths.

The transformation is instataneous, yes. Theoritically, she can transform into any bipedal or quadruped animal, though the only ones shown so far are wolf, panther and bear, and bear is restricted here. What weaknesses would you be referring to? She gains the increased mobility, stamina, power and senses of the animals, while keeping her human intelligence and training. At the very least, no weaknesses have been shown for wolf and panther.

Fair enough, she transforms instantly and she only gains the advantages of those animals. Any fights she has lost before?

When Suzune fought her doctor, it was partially inside a forested park, which is what Central Park is. I'd assume tree sizes would be similar, so she definitely should be able to maneuver on trees if needed. Though I do hear you for the visibility argument, that's true.
The claws themselves are visible, but when she attacks from afar, I don't know. I honestly can't tell you if the swiping motion we see here is actually what would be visible to a human or if that's just an effect added to the drawing to help the reader visualize. At the end of the day however, her claws have much higher reach than what they appear, which keeps Suzune with a range/reach advantage. I did see how skilled Ip Man is from the clips (there's a questionable use of physics though, lol) and I can believe he can handle bladed weapons. However, these are "retractable" claws without the downsides of retractable weapons and with a size much larger than the handaxes or spears I saw Ip Man face. Besides, the claws are both slashing and piercing. After all, even something as basic as a pen can pierce skin without much trouble, let alone some werewolf-like claws. So even if Suzune's AP is lower than Ip Man's at face value, the slashing/piercing damage easily make up for that

In Suzune's fights so far, nothing has managed to dodge her claws. The ways shown to prevent her from succeeding are either to block the attacks or keep her far away enough so she can't reach even with her "retractable" claws. I'll give Ip Man the benefit that he's more skilled than anyone Suzune has faced so far. However, he doesn't have any means to either block Suzune or keep her away. He may be agile, but Suzune has the agility of the animal she transforms into, which is generally quite higher than human's. But even giving Ip Man the benefit of the doubt that he's more agile than her, which I doubt, he doesn't even instinctive reactions or something similar. Ip Man's reactions range between 11.2 and 14.3 m/s (average of 12.75 m/s), while Suzune's are around 12.43 m/s, so basically the same. His attacking speed might be faster than Suzune's, but her movement speed is higher, which allows her to consistently keep her distance away from Ip Man's melee range and keep clawing him. Finally, Suzune has a higher lifting strength. If the fight were to reach melee, which Suzune would avoid since she clearly has a range advantage but if it was to get there, Suzune's LS would be enough to grapple, push or pin Ip Man down, like she did against her doctor.

The trees are probably similar looking at it again. About the claws, it seems like added effect, if we go by her page it would be visible because elasticity is used to describe its nature I guess. With that said he can use his weapons to block it or he can move out of the way. Another way is for IP man to use his Martial Arts prowess to dodge attacks. Since they are comparable in speed he will be capable of dodging most if not all her attacks via agility and maneuverability with his Martial Arts prowess. IP Man has also shown creativity and very quick thinking in a fight. He has dealt with extended melee range before. In that fight I showed you, you saw many short axes right? So I don't blame you or anyone if you missed an instance in that fight where he took care of several large axes (1:10 - 1:30). IP Man is also capable of delivering pressure point strikes with most of his blows to end a fight quickly. He uses pressure points extremely often in combat so in addition to his superior AP IP Man would use pressure points to skillfully cripple Suzune. All of what I have said can be applied to the case of Suzune grappling IP Man, what I mean is that if for some odd reason IP Man is grabbed in the fight, it will be a perfect opportunity to use self-defense skills to break out of the grapple and land pressure point strikes to cripple Suzune.

Suzune's last option is to keep away and to strike from a distance. Why would Suzune keep away from an opponent she knows nothing about? All Suzune sees is a simple man trying to take her on. She is from Darwin's Game right? I don't think she will recognize IP Man as even a player. Just a regular person standing in her way. It is likely she will go within melee range like she often does from the information youve given me, if she starts with the claws (Has shse used it in face to face situations?) then IP Man is more than capable of dodging (or blocking with weapon) if the claws as visible. So the issue now is: Will she go in range to utilize her combat prowess? If she does IP Man will capitalize with his vastly superior skills. Will she allow IP Man to go in range? Very Likely since she has no idea how dangerous an encounter at CQC is. Will She use her superior movement speed to keep her distance at the start of the fight? Ill let you answer that one, in my opinion, i doubt it because I feel like she will be confident in her abilities.

IP Man's Martial Arts composes of Wing Chun

Wing Chun masters use pressure points always. It is a self defense Martial Art so its understandable that masters aim to end the fight quickly against those inferior to them.

Wing Chun blocking techniques harm the opponent (Offense is the best form of defense lol): The way they block is by offensive strikes is by attacking the arm to prevent attacks from landing and to disorientate the balance of the opponent. IP Man can then use this to counter attack his disoriented opponent by attacking vulnerable spots to incapacitate his opponent quickly.

So I will be arguing the likliness of IP Man having at least one encounter. I believe one encounter is enough to put her down.

Last edited:
@Peppersalt43 YO WE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SUZUNE'S AP
Well first of all, you all seem to be arguing perfectly fine despite it

Second, I can simply remove the "anything above 9-C is restricted" issue. Ip Man is very close to baseline 9-B anyway.

But you know what, I'll give @GoldenScorpions a chance to change their character if needed. Otherwise I'll use my suggestion

Well first of all, you all seem to be arguing perfectly fine despite it

Second, I can simply remove the "anything above 9-C is restricted" issue. Ip Man is very close to baseline 9-B anyway.

But you know what, I'll give @GoldenScorpions a chance to change their character if needed. Otherwise I'll use my suggestion

Nooooooo not the 9-B, that's with her teeth and she never uses teeth.

Okay I will go back to the terms @GoldenScorpions and I agreed on.

Many of the felines and canines reach 9-C+ even without bite attacks, either with paw swipes, slam attacks or kinetic energy. So I don't see the problem here.

To answer your question, and since this is a 9-C tournament, she starts transformed, so yeah she'll primarily attack with claws, which she does in-character anyway.
As for Suzune "seeing IP Man as just a regular man", I see your point, but Suzune's clan leader and martial arts teacher is also, by all accounts, a normal martial artist. The teacher's power is a stat amp primarily in defense, so nothing visually out there. I think it's believable enough she'll be wary of Ip Man, even if "he looks normal without powers" because she's been with people who are like that but actually have hidden skills/powers.

For reference, has Ip Man fought wild animals before?
Nah, I can’t remember if he did, but I extremely doubt it.

Anyway, now the real battle begins.

Im thinking of rewatching the movies, I’ve seen many extended melee ranged dodging skill feats.

i feel like IP Man will find a way to get close by using his surroundings. There’s nothing stopping him from leaving the park and going to buildings nearby where he should have the advantage with the ability to make exploit the materials and structures

The only issue I see with that is Suzune has faster movement speed than Ip Man, so it's unlikely he'll outrun her or get away from her safely. Because of the animal attributes she gains when transformed, she also becomes a great climber and acrobat, which are for sure useful in an urban setting should it go there. Trying to hide isn't a good idea, as Suzune could find him with her heightened senses and sensory horn.
If he tries to take the fight elsewhere, he has nothing to prevent Suzune from range-clawing him from behind.

Like, despite Suzune's younger age, she's trained alongside and fought against martial artists for several years, ones with supernatural abilities at that.
On his end, Ip Man hasn't battled wild animals, let alone a human who can partially turn into one and keep the advantages of both human and animal.

The only issue I see with that is Suzune has faster movement speed than Ip Man, so it's unlikely he'll outrun her or get away from her safely. Because of the animal attributes she gains when transformed, she also becomes a great climber and acrobat, which are for sure useful in an urban setting should it go there. Trying to hide isn't a good idea, as Suzune could find him with her heightened senses and sensory horn.
If he tries to take the fight elsewhere, he has nothing to prevent Suzune from range-clawing him from behind.

Like, despite Suzune's younger age, she's trained alongside and fought against martial artists for several years, ones with supernatural abilities at that.
On his end, Ip Man hasn't battled wild animals, let alone a human who can partially turn into one and keep the advantages of both human and animal.

Yeah, IP Man won't be able to outrun, but he can back up while dodging her ranged attacks until she either comes to attack close range or IP man manages to find a useful weapon to apply close range pressure point strikes. Can't IP man use his weapons here? If he can use staff here then he should be able to fight long range. But I will continue to argue in the event he can't for now. IP man has experience fighting many master Martial Artist acrobats too. I am wondering why he isn't an acrobat himself on wiki, but that requires a CRT which i will do sooner or later. But he does have experience against Acrobatic Masters.

IP Man won't try to hide, he will only maintain stance till she gets close in and when that happens she is extremely likely to Lose. IP man's skill feats are too high for her. He has fought 10 Japanese black belts and a Japanese master who can solo those black belts. He has fought a Master on a shaking table, another master who is better than the previous on and the strongest master who he stalemates with. He surpassed that master by incapacitating the enemy who killed him in a fight. That enemy wore boxing gloves. (I want to attempt to give IP Man accelerated development in a CRT for beating the enemy that beat the man he stalemates. He fought the enemy while at a heavy disadvantage from the rules of the match and still won by surpassing the boxer in skill to dodge all his attacks and land pressure point strikes). So all of these feats that I have mentioned so far. point towards the fact that Suzune is losing badly in close-range combat. Now it is just a case of whether or not she go range in character throughout this entire match. Is a person that young with a slightly big ego see a man skillfully dodge her long-range strikes all the time and NOT attempt close-range combat? I think she eventually will attempt a CQC in character. But I need to continue the manga of darwin's game.

IP man in his early life has also trained and fought under martial artists for many years. He became a master and the best in Fushan. In fact in IP man 1 he embarrassed a guy who could beat every master in Fushan, Even when the guy used extended melee range weapons IP man still beat him with bare hands and a feather duster. Suzune isn't at the guy's level unless you can tell me she has beaten her masters before. Even if she is at that guy's level, she will be embarrassed by the Early IP man in CQC. IP man as of part 2 has fought 10 black belts, in which 3 of them were able to kill a master in Fushan. Fought the General who was superior to all of them fairly easily, fought a hierarchy of masters (a rank of 3 masters) till the 3rd one stalemates him and IP later surpasses him by fighting someone vastly superior and at a disadvantage like i said in the first paragraph. And I can't even remember Part 3 and 4 till I rewatch it.

So IP man will win easily if she decides to go Close to him. Wing Chun is a chinese martial arts that combines defense and attack. Her enhanced senses will be good if IP man starts off being offensive, but due to the nature of Wing Chun he rarely does that so he is patient till she attacks so he can analyze her body and movements just like he did his strongest opponent in IP man 2. attacks Wing Chun focus on hitting the enemy's melee strikes. If you throw a punch the Wing Chun masters strike the fore arm or grapples skill fully depending on how he wants to fight. IP man too has some level of enhanced senses but not on Suzune's level as an animal. However, this enhanced sense is definitely circumvented with skills by using Suzune's close range attacks against her and delivering pressure point blows to beat her in second CQC. Ip man may not need to battle animals, because his opponent is still human like which is good I guess.

I rewatched IP Man to part 2 and I was busy with CRTs and irl stuff. So thats why it took me so long to reply. I will watch 3 and 4 for new points. And I have already in Chapter 30 of Darwins game. Soooo,,, sorryy for late replyyy..

Back