• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

9-B Real World Brackets Round 2: Cave Bear vs Nile Crocodile

MistaClean

VS Battles
Image Helper
Cave Bear vs Nile Crocodile

Standard Battle Assumptions are used

Battle takes place in a forest with a lake in it. The Crocodile starts in the water while the Bear starts on the land.

See the source image

Cave Bear: 1 (Dusty_Raider)

Nile Crocodile: 7 (Akidwholiketopowerscale, JustANormalLemon, Psychomaster35, TyranoDoom30, ThePrimalHunter, Peppersalt43, Pokemonfan807)

Incon:

Cave_Bear.jpeg
580b57fbd9996e24bc43bcb7-1-.png

Last edited:
This is a little tricky but i'll vote for the Nile Crocodile for now, as it's page says it can fight against hippos and elephants which are larger and should be much stronger than the bear.

I would vote for the bear if they were both on land, but this fight gets more complicated as the crocodile starts in water.

For starters, crocodiles are ambush predators, so it won't come out of the water to attack the cave bear, the bear that will have to go to the water to go after the crocodile, which puts the reptile in a big way. Advantage, the crocodile's main attack is the death spin, in other words, if the crocodile manages to hold one of the bear's limbs with its mouth, it's over for the cave bear

now talking about the cave bear, I don't know how much it measures or weighs, especially compared to a crocodile, but I go with what I remember from Tier zoo video + his profile, they were totally capable of fighting other animal powers from their time in search of food so physically he should be superior to the crocodile and very well able to kill it with just a few direct hits, as well as possibly being able to simply use his own weight to kill the crocodile.

The bear is probably also smarter than the crocodile, not that it matters in this fight, the bear would theoretically have more experience fighting crocodiles, as they existed in his time, while cave bears didn't exist in the alligator time (nowadays) however It is very unlikely that an encounter between a cave bear and a crocodile happened in the ice age...

in short, the crocodile has many advantages for being in the water, camouflage, better mobility and experience in surprise attacks and ambushes, in addition to the extremely dangerous technique, the death spin, my vote goes to the crocodile because of the environment, technique and mobility

The bear wouldn’t just rush blindly into the water. (It starts on land) The nile croc would come to the waters edge (it’s a ambush predator afterall) and wait for the best opportunity to strike and while this helps it get a bite in, it unfortunately won’t help the reptile when the bear drags it out of the water and tears it apart. The bear is more than durable enough tank the bite as well thanks to its bulkier body.

Last edited:
Also the nile croc usually gets bodied in a one on one match with a elephant since they usually just bite the trunk. Meanwhile the hippo is just built better physically to deal with it

The bear wouldn’t just rush blindly into the water. (It starts on land) The nile croc would come to the waters edge (it’s a ambush predator afterall) and wait for the best opportunity to strike and while this helps it get a bite in, it unfortunately won’t help the reptile when the bear drags it out of the water and tears it apart. The bear is more than durable enough tank the bite as well thanks to its bulkier body.
although this is true, this and in case her prey doesn't know he's in the water, and considering the rules of the fight, they both know of each other's existence and location, Jacare wouldn't be in such a vulnerable place to ambush it enemy (Similar to when they hunt wildebeest migrating over rivers, etc.) besides you are disregarding the death spin, a technique that greatly disorients those who get caught by the crocodile's mouth and specializes in removing limbs

I know death spin is dangerous I just think it will be hard to use on a larger opponent like the Cave Bear and if the bear stop the croc before it can use the death spin the Croc is screwed. Also forgive me if I misread what you said but I know they start with knowledge of the other’s location, I’m saying the bear isn’t gonna go into the water where it will be at a disadvantage

I don't get the argument that crocodiles can fight hippos and elephants, if you've actually seen crocodiles, they rarely ever attack them cause they know it's suicide, so that shouldn't be a feat that scales to the average crocodile. It's like saying tigers scale to fighting 1 ton creatures because some occasionally ambush a gaur (which can reach up to 1000kg)

I know death spin is dangerous I just think it will be hard to use on a larger opponent like the Cave Bear and if the bear stop the croc before it can use the death spin the Croc is screwed. Also forgive me if I misread what you said but I know they start with knowledge of the other’s location, I’m saying the bear isn’t gonna go into the water where it will be at a disadvantage
I will try to explain why the bear that would go to water

Nile crocodiles are ambush predators, while Cave Bears were carrion eaters (I don't remember the name of this) and sometimes hunters.

in other words, the crocodile evolved to wait for its targets to come to it, while the bear evolved to go to its targets, even if the bear didn't go in right away, it would eventually enter the water after the crocodile.

About the size of the bear, despite being big, it is not much bigger than the crocodile (especially in length) at least not bigger than the proses that the crocodile normally attacks, so it would not be very difficult to perform the death spin (in addition to being much easier to move objects in the water than out of it)

I think the assumption that the bear goes straight into the water for the bear is Plot-Induced Stupidity not conducive to how animals actually think. I'm not sure how SBA works for animals that know they're in a fight, but it's presumptuous to think that the bear immediately puts itself at risk just because it isn't an ambush

Taking actual hunting strategies into account, the crocodile would know that the bear would eventually need to come and drink for water, hence why ambush tactics are a thing. The bear is a scavenger and opportunistic animal, so it shouldn't be going Leeroy Jenkins into the water either. Both have the capability to be patient when they need to be, and I essentially think it will be a waiting game between the two animals.

I think a factor that I haven't seen discussed here is the temperature or the climate of the arena. While crocodiles can stay in the water for long periods of time, they are pokilotherms and thus need to change environments to regulate their body temperatures. Meaning that there are times when the crocodile is not active and vulnerable due to needing to warm up before it can go on the move, often needing to bask in the sun before they can move properly.

The bear in turn, would need to drink water at some point, and this could work in the crocodile's favor, since this plays into the favor of the crocodile's ambush hunting strategy.

The bear can take advantage of this and ambush the crocodile while it's warming up, and the crocodile can take advantage of the bear's need to drink water.

If the arena is a relatively temperate area, I'd lean towards incon or bear. If it's a relatively tropical area, the crocodile would need much less time to bask and regulate its body temperature, and the bear would need to drink more water, so it would be a croc win.

If the arena is a relatively temperate area, I'd lean towards incon or bear. If it's a relatively tropical area, the crocodile would need much less time to bask and regulate its body temperature, and the bear would need to drink more water, so it would be a croc win.
That's a good argument, but if we consider the climate, the Bear would be dying of heat due to the more tropical climate, he is a glo-age animal after all, he has adapted to a much cooler climate.

And I'm not saying the bear would blindly go into the water, I'm saying that in this fight, both the bear and the crocodile are in a neutral state waiting for the other to attack first (in other words, get into the environment that the other has an advantage) which is much more likely for the bear to do this
350px-Crocodile_attack_during_Mara_River_crossing_-_frame_1_-_Flickr_-_Lip_Kee.jpg

In nature, surprise attacks are much more efficient than in fiction, as almost 100% of the time the opponent activates the instinct to flee instead of fighting (since in nature, a small wound can mean death by infection) then the crocodile shines, he only needs to catch the bear once to be able to pull it into the water and perform the death spin

The time and date are chosen in such a fashion that all characters are at their strongest. Paradoxes like it being night for one character, while being day for another are acceptable here. If extreme advantages are generated via this regulation to one side, a balanced alternative should be discussed in the thread
This is written in the Standard Battle Assumptions, if it is at night the crocodile or the bear would have much problems with the heat

So the question would be, would the Bear approach before the crocodile needed to regulate its own temperature?

Well the crocodile would have much more problems with temperature regulation vs the bear, so perpetually day or night/tropical/temperate doesn't really benefit it either. When a crocodile is too hot, it will bask and release heat through its mouth, when it's too cold, it will also bask to warm itself up.

So either way, it has to regulate itself frequently. Whether this affects the end result is up to you, but it brings an interesting dimension into the battle

So either way, it has to regulate itself frequently. Whether this affects the end result is up to you, but it brings an interesting dimension into the battle
It makes sense, but I still don't think it would take that long for the bear to go after the crocodile before the crocodile needs to cool down, so I'll keep my vote

Back