• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Hub

Indoraptor vs JFC Tyrannosaurus vs RW Tyrannosaurus vs Manfred vs Tapir vs Thanos simonattoi vs Hippopotamus vs Cave Crawler vs Dart Monkey vs Deathclaw vs Primeval Gorgonopsid vs Terry vs SCP-939 vs Palaeoloxodon namadicus vs Triceratops

Fight takes place on Yakushima, with all combatants starting off 100 meters from one another.

Speed unequalized.

The Triceratops, RW T-rex, Tapir, Thanos, Hippo, and Palaeoloxodon are adult males at maximum weight

Triceratops horridus, South American tapir, and common hippo are being used

Base Dart Monkey

Base Fallout 4 Deathclaw

Blood Crawler

Chibi Terry

To the death

Ok so who's absolutely outclassed here

The Tapir doesn't have the fighting ability to hold up to the others

The Cave Crawler is extremely small and has never presented itself as a particularly dangerous threat

Thanos probably doesn't immediately go down, but the existences of t-rexes takes him handily out of the equation

The Deathclaw has an advantage thanks to its two legged stance. It's long arms and decent lifting strength will help it greatly in a close quarters fight.

Hippo is also probably outclassed here. Though it is dangerous to humans, it lacks notable weapons or size advantages against the major players here

Whoever gets taken out first depends on who goes for who first. Animals like the Tapir and the Cave Crawler won't get far, though.

Ok lets narrow it down.

Animals out
Tapir (Herbivore. What'd thou expect)

Cave Crawler (Someone steps on him)

Tyrannosaurus Rex (Real World) (Slow, and a scavenger so not used to direct conflict)

Hippo (While dangerous, is either too small or too clumsy to present a serious threat)

Thanos (One of the bigger dinos takes him out)

SCP-939 (The mind manip is near useless when these lads are animalistic. Aint got its buddies to back it up either)

Dart Monkey (Range helps, but it is slow and small)

Manny (Hasn't shown a killing spirit and is consistently outclassed by dinosaurs)

Triceratops (See reasoning for Manny and Thanos)

Animals i
Indoraptor, Tyrannosaurus rex (Jurassic Fight Club), Mantis (Ark: Survival Evolved), Deathclaws, Gorgonopsid (Primeval), Terry (Dinosaur King) and Palaeoloxodon Namadicus

Crimson Azoth said:
Tyrannosaurus Rex (Real World) (Slow, and a scavenger so not used to direct conflict)
Tyrannosaurus was not an obligate scavenger; it's commonly agreed that it was a hunter who scavenged when the opportunity arose, just like most modern terrestrial predators.

Also Triceratops would absolutely have a killing spirit considering it had to live alongside Tyrannosaurus. Hippos also aren't as clumsy as you might think.

Trike and Rex were borderline

But hippo is like a bus with a couple of teeth. Against lads with infinite natural weapons, he goes down hard

Looking through the profiles, Mantis might have the movement speed advantage if allowed to be at most subsonic. Only thing faster is possibly the dart monkey's projectiles, but that's combat speed and not movement speed. While the monkey's practically the only combatant with a range advantage, it shouldn't be very mobile due to being a tower in a tower defense game. I mean I don't remember much from BTD, but basic dart monkeys are never shown to move from the spot they were placed in. They just stay, aim, and shoot.

You know, originally I was just trying to find 9-B animals from games I'm familiar with, and I doubted my choices would stand a chance. But now that I have done some research, the Mantis is actually quite the powerhouse. This page has a ton of useful information.

Kiryu got me thinking about who goes for who first. "Highly aggressive, it attacks any medium-size or smaller creature that enters its range." It will first prey on cave crawler (my own entry, dammit), Terry, tapir, and dart monkey. Dart's range advantage won't make much of a difference before the mantis closes the distance and rips its intestines out. Even if we assume it's not just a motionless tower defense tower, instead being as mobile as a real life monkey, the mantis will still outrun it. So those smaller opponents are immediately down. What about the rest? Well, its tendency to hunt smaller prey likely refers to its natural and untamed instincts, when we're talking about a tamed mantis. In that case, the tamed mantis simply attacks whatever the player commands it to. That, on top of a tamed mantis being more leveled up in its stats, will make this individual likely used to fighting creatures larger than itself. With no player here to command it, after it takes out the smaller creatures, it should have no objection to fighting the bigger ones such as the t-rexes.

That brings me to the next topic. How well does it fare against the stronger combatants, considering strength, speed, and intelligence? Very well, actually.

For strength, in its own game, a tamed mantis can semi-easily take down a same level, untamed t-rex. It shouldn't have much trouble with the larger combatants, even if they're stated to be maximum weight males, and I don't imagine the individuals used for this match being tamed at all. So yes, the mantis will definitely hold its own against the several large dinosaurs in the battle. I've already established earlier that it has a speed advantage as well, so this is the combatant that will dance around all others during a direct confrontation.

Intelligence needs an entirely separate paragraph, or several. Long story short, the mantis also just about has this one in the bag. Referring to the wiki from earlier,

"The existence of a creature such as Empusa discipulus is both fascinating and frightening. Not only is Empusa the only recorded insect to have developed an opposable digit, allowing it to grip objects and use tools, but it possesses a level of intelligence that is unrivaled among non-human species. I have even found clear patterns in the sounds Empusa makes when communicating with its own kind, as though it is actually using some kind of dialect.

I would love to study these interactions in depth, but observing Empusa up close is extremely dangerous. Its size, intelligence and ability to pounce on its prey from a great distance mean that one could be quickly swarmed and killed upon detection. Caution is recommended.

Domesticated

Though a dangerous task, successfully taming Empusa can prove highly beneficial. Its unique claws allow it to wield melee weapons like spears or pikes in battle, and use tools while harvesting resources. This makes it deadly as a mount or footsoldier and highly efficient as a gatherer."

First of all, its ability to wield human tools is accepted as standard equipment in the profile, so it should be allowed to use them, and saying it doesn't have them for the fight would actually go against VSBW rules. That being said, throughout ARK, human weapons such as spears and pikes are shown to be very effective against predators even larger than the mantis, regardless of whether said weapons are being wielded by a human or mantis. So let's be more forgiving for a moment and assume that it doesn't have these weapons. It might be able to raid darts off of the monkey's corpse, but despite being able to use human melee weapons more effectively than humans do, from what I've seen, mantis are never shown to use projectiles, and are likely incapable due to how their arms are shaped. But even without unnatural weapons, and just its own two claws, the mantis likely still takes this for a number of reasons relating to intelligence. The profile states that it is "capable of tricking humans into a trap by purposely breaking water pipes, their combat abilities and strategies are stated to be on par with those of a skilled human and they can use tools with far more efficiency". You hear that? Being well into high animalistic, it actually has the potential to outsmart humans. Some other predators may come close, such as indo and JFC, but they still don't seem on par. The only opponents I imagine being more intelligent would be Manny and dart monkey. We've already established that dart monkey will die instantly, and Crimson Azoth says that Manny is reluctant to fight and is often shown to be outclassed by dinosaurs. The mantis on the other hand is capable of killing predatory dinosaurs many times its size. The only counter I see to its intelligence is SCP with its amnesia gas. Crimson Azoth did say that it's practically useless here since most of the enemies are animalistic, but that wasn't factoring Manny, dart monkey, and mantis. However, there might not be a chance for the gas to affect the mantis. Though SCP is one of the more intelligent predators here, it doesn't seem to be as intelligent as the mantis, and so SCP is more likely to get caught up in the chaos in the middle of fight, dying before its gas reaches mantis. That brings me to my next point.

"Mantis spawn in packs of around 2-3 individuals within caves and desert dunes. Due to their pounce attack they have a fairly large aggression range. Once one Mantis spots prey, the others usually follow. They will attempt to rapidly close the distance with an initial pounce before delivering an onslaught of rapid slashing attacks."

"Its size, intelligence and ability to pounce on its prey from a great distance mean that one could be quickly swarmed and killed upon detection. Caution is recommended."

It is somewhat implied that mantis are ambush predators with their ability to pounce while closing distances, on top of the profile saying they can lure humans into traps. Ambush combat works perfectly for it here, stalking and lying in wait for the perfect time to strike. Especially since the fight takes place on an island covered in dense vegetation, where it can easily hide. Paired with its high intelligence, it will flee to the edge of the fight and wait. And having the highest speed, it can easily stay out of range of everything apart from the dart monkey's projectiles. The wiki does state that projectiles are recommended to use due to how dangerous mantis are in close range, but again, dart monkey will go down instantly to just about anybody, and the mantis wouldn't exactly be the monkey's biggest concern if the mantis is trying to stay away from the fight for the time being. Anyway, the mantis will hide and wait until all the other opponents have killed each other and one remains. The last one will be weakened from the fight, and so this intelligent ambush predator I picked will finally have its chance to strike. And, well, you know how well that will go. Just in case the final opponent is Deathclaw, as Dusty Raider says its two-legged stance gives an advantage, it won't actually, not against mantis. The mantis happens to have four legs while still having an upright body sporting two arms with gigantic mantis claws that are somehow able to wield human weapons. The wiki even states that after closing distance with a pounce, the mantis will open up with slash attacks. The mantis is likely the only combatant here with superior arm melee to Deathclaw.

While the mantis is definitely impressive, I doubt it could take on the deathclaw in a close quarters match. Once the mantis gets close to melee, the deathclaw can easily throw, crush, or pin the mantis thanks to it's class 5 lifting strength, while the mantis only has regular lifting strength. Once the DC gets a grip on the mantis it's going to have a tough time retaliating.

The Deathclaw may win only if the mantis tries a melee encounter. Keep in mind that the mantis is far more intelligent and can lure humans of all things into traps. The mantis is probably aware of how humans can use their own arms almost as effectively as the mantis can, and confronting them directly isn't the most clever tactic, hence using a trap and ambush on them. The mantis will notice how the Deathclaw stands on two legs and attacks with its arms, and will probably approach the situation like they would if they encountered a human, only in this case, a more powerful but stupider one. Don't forget about the speed advantage so the the mantis can easily stay away from any and all melee attacks. This match up seems it could go either way depending on what choices the mantis makes. Superior speed and intelligence basically gives the mantis more control over the situation until they figure out a solution that could kill the Deathclaw without much risk of a melee encounter. Though the mantis can't really hide due to DC's enhanced senses.

But that's only in the off chance that DC is the final surviving opponent for mantis to show itself to. I see it as unlikely DC would come out on top of all the others considering that it could incon with indo, and if they get stuck fighting each other in the middle of the fight, someone else is bound to wipe both of them out while they're distracted. The indo is stronger than a real world velociraptor, but is it really comparable to the two t-rexes we have on here? And if you were paying any attention to the video, a high leveled tamed mantis can tank plenty of hits from a high leveled t-rex.

The deathclaw was winning the Indoraptor match until someone made a last minute vote for the Indoraptor dispite the reasoning for it having a better chance being debunked.

What kind of traps does the mantis use and what is it's exact ap? 9-B is a huge tier

Now that I'm looking at it, a large portion of the combatants have class 5 lifting strength. All they need is a grip on the mantis.

Again what kind of traps would it use against creatures like the ones in this royal?

I couldn't find an AP calc for either of them. DC is known to tear people apart whereas the mantis can casually shatter large metallic rocks, and can easily fight against dinosaurs such as t-rexes.

As for trapping I couldn't find any footage but apparently from the profile it can lure humans into traps. Possibly considered high level ambush ability.

Based on the the profile it can destroy human made objects to lure humans out. I don't see how that would translate to a animalistic free for all. The deathclaw is also known for bring one of the most powerful mutants in the wasteland. They can survive lasers, all sorts of explosives, and fights with each other.

Again it's not just the deathclaw, if ANY of the class 5 lifting strength creatures grab a hold of the Mantis it's in huge trouble.

And Deathclaws and Indoraptor are smart creatures. I could see them teaming up if they're having a lot of trouble. The Indominus was able to convince the Velociraptor pack to help it, so the Indoraptor could maybe pull something similar due to it having the same, maybe higher Intelligence.

The mantis can also survive lasers, explosives, and fights with each other. If the mantis can easily tank being bitten lots of times by a fictional t-rex theoretically hundreds of times stronger than a real t-rex, I sorta doubt class 5 would be instantly fatal.

Over time? If the mantis escapes surviving the close encounter, then that's that, there won't be another close encounter. It's too smart to let itself get within melee again. It's gonna use its speed advantage and stay tf out of DC's range. While I'm no expert at ARK, if you look at the video again, that t-rex tried to run away when it's health was getting low. This implies to me that even the lowest intelligence animals in the game will have basic self-preservation and attempt to flee when it feels it won't survive an encounter. The mantis are literally the most intelligent creatures in the game apart from the players themselves. And if its intelligence is as close as it gets to human level, it might try to think of some other strategy to finish DC, though nothing too crazy since it's not on par with humans. Maybe try use hit and run tactics. Maybe run behind DC faster than it can turn around, land a hit, and then get tf away from the class 5.

Springtrap is at most class 5 from tearing apart a human. The mantis can tank being bitten lots of times by t-rexes that should be more powerful than real life t-rexes.

The Springtrap used had Peak Human Lifting Strength though and he still beat The Mantis while it was tamed and had a Weapon.

Back