• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Boros's CSRC Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepekley23

VS Battles
Retired
Concerning the manga databook that says Boros is able to destroy the Earth.

This entire tidbit has been rendered as "Collapsing Star Roaring Cannon: Erase the Earth. The roar of despair!!! It is an attack able to destroy Earth."

However, the kanji for "erase" here is ÕëèÒéï, which primarily means "to shave/scrape off" when the context is destroying, and only means "erase" when the context is something like removing someone from your list of party guests, or firing someone from a company.

And the kanji for the "an attack able to destroy Earth" tidbit is þá┤µ╗à, which refers to a different kind of destruction: the aftermath of a powerful energy blast, leaving ruins and destruction on its wake. Not destroy as in "overpower Gravitational Binding Energy".

So, all in all, we have:

"Collapsing Star Roaring Cannon: Shave the Earth. The roar of despair!!! It is an attack able to ruin Earth".

Which, of course, is a reference to Boros saying he could obliterate the Earth's surface. Which is not only backed up by the actual feat that happens right after the statement, but is also far more consistent with the scale of this feat and Boros's attacks being capable of doing severe damage to something with 6-A durability.

Boros would return to High 6-A, with the justification being:

• Multi-Continent level (His attacks were causing severe damage to his own ship, which endured Saitama's moon jump. He stated that his attack would destroy the surface of an entire planet, making Saitama use Serious Punch to cancel it out. The databook also stated his attack was able to shave and ruin the Earth)

ÕëèÒéï is primarly used for slashing/cutting/remove something from the surface

Authors use µÂêÕÄ╗ when talking about erasure and such

So OP is right on the jap stuff

@Kal

Yeah. We still have him saying he could destroy the Earth while frustrated and Murata saying he could do it if he put effort into it.

Murata's quote

Q: Can Saitama blow up Earth?

A: I guess he can if he wanted to, but I don't think he will do it.

As for Saitama's statement that's okay for now, but there always a chance that its retconned/left out in the redraw.

This is sad...anyway, since ALRF seems to have verified the translation stuff, I will agree with the revision.

So for Boros his stuff becomes

Attack Potency: Unknow | Multi-Continent level (His attacks were causing severe damage to his own ship, which endured Saitama's moon jump. He stated that his attack would destroy the surface of an entire planet, making Saitama use Serious Punch to cancel it out. The databook also stated his attack was able to shave and ruin the Earth)
Striking Strength: Unknow | At most Multi-Continent Class (His punches are capable of causing extreme damage to his spaceship , which endured Saitama's moon jump)

Durability: Unknow (He survived Saitama's casual punch, but the hero's punches are extremely variable in strength depending on the situation) | At most Multi-Continent level (Was planning on surviving the planet's destruction, though he was unable to survive Saitama's Serious Punch, Regenerationn makes him difficult to kill)
And Garou his Awakened key becomes

Attack Potency: At most Multi-Continent level (ONE stated that Garou and Boros would be pretty evenly matched, with Garou even having an advantage in close combat. Effortlessly curbstomped several S-Class heroes)

Striking Strength: At most Multi-Continent Class

Durability:
At most Multi-Continent level (Took several casual punches and a few Serious Series moves from Saitama, continuing to fight and attempt to best him), Regenerationn and reactive evolution makes him difficult to kill

On the bright side, Garou will have quite a lot of his losses removed if this goes through.

EDIT:Or maybe not...

The point in the OP is supported by both the Manga and Webcomic which state it's a surface wiper so it's definitely right.

All the translators I've seen translating the guidebook, including Hermes seem to have interpreted the line as being him actually destroying the Earth. But if the other reliable translators here seem to disagree then I'm fine with it.

Herms was actually just toying with the guy who asked him because he hates VS Debating and terms like "planet busting"

And even the original translator edited his trans to note the disparity

You have no proof that Hermes just lied to the person, something he has never done before.

Also link to where the original translator did this?

From all the translations I've seen, they say that the first part can be translated to either erase or shave, with the second part being to destroy. I haven't seen any consider the latter to be ruination or something else instead.

Herms didn't lie, he said the second right tidbit could be potentially interpreted as Boros being able to destroy Earth. However, the kanji used here refers to a different kind of destruction. I linked it.

The original reddit link was edited to say it could be translated as "shave" after people asked him about the problem. I've already provided the link with examples on the context of the kanji used.

IIRC, Planet busting was the Anime translation for, but Manga said Surface busting. But they were both translated from the Japanese letters. I'm neutral regarding this downgrade, but if surface is logically the better translation and the cloud separation feat is High 6-A, then the downgrade might be plausible.

Hermes says that Boros was a planet buster according to this guide multiple times and said it described as destroying the earth, with no specification on it being a different form of destruction. I don't think Hermes would've just been "toying with the person" and giving him and everyone else false info when translating and answering the question.

The reddit link says that the first part could be interpreted as surface wiping, but remains that the second part refers to outright planet busting.

I'm fine with whatever all the translators here decide on, but I'm hesistant to just disregard what Herms and other trusted translators have said immediately.

DarkDragonMedeus said:
IIRC, Planet busting was the Anime translation for, but Manga said Surface busting. But they were both translated from the Japanese letters. I'm neutral regarding this downgrade, but if surface is logically the better translation and the cloud separation feat is High 6-A, then the downgrade might be plausible.
Yeah, Boros got high 6-A for clouds alone and no surface/water destruction. Probably far higher anyway.

Herms shouldn't be assumed to be omniscient if the evidence implies otherwise. The kanji for "erase" is "shave" and the second one is ruin. I've provided sites.

You're the one that was assuming Hermes to be a straight up liar who was trolling people out of spite. I don't speak the language, so I can't make many judgements for myself. But he has proven to be by far one of the most reliable, trustworthy and helpful translators within the anime/manga community. So I'm going to still have some initial trust in what he says. That doesn't mean I think he's omniscient or can never be wrong, as I've said I'm fine with whatever most other translators agree upon.

I'm sorry but I personally can't find that "þá┤µ╗à"kanji within the scan. Maybe I'm just blind but would you mind showing it to me?

Also that site also says that kanji can be referred to as destruction. And synonyms on the side say things like "rend, rip, tear, break, destroy, perish, etc." which might fit into why Hermes as well as other translators have it as destroy.

The stuff about him joking was because I remember him having a tweet mocking Versus Debating and "planet busting" scans that happened on a similar time. I could be wrong on this, but it still rang a few bells. Either way, focus on the arguments and kanjis as opposed to Herms's intention.

Here it is, circled for your sake. And, once again, we're talking destruction on a completely different context, that is not related to literal destruction of the planet.

The word's synonyms are not relevant. One kanji and a word's meaning completely changes, we're talking Japanese here. The authors chose a kanji that did not refer to destruction on the literal sense for a reason. The databook has Boros as a Surface Wiper and not a Planet Destroyer.

Your claim that Hermes was messing around was one of your arguments. So I addressed it, and it still wasn't the main focus of what I was saying.

Thanks for circling it. I am blind.

Well if it means ruin the planet then I guess that's that. But I'm still confused as to how Hermes and other reliable translators took it as destroy.

Thanks.

We should just make a separate 5-B key for Anime Boros the

Don't forget the 4-C key for Anime Boros

So can we apply the downgrades?

Nah anime Boros is 5-B. Has the statement in the anime, and the anime's guidebook when it's not mistranslated states he can obliterate planets. The anime buffs a lot of people. It also made Beefcake WAY bigger than in the manga. And it made Tatsumaki pull a meteor from space, which Murata said she shouldn't be able to do.

From my memory the anime amps Genos' mountain bust, Saitama's death punch, the Hammerhead suits, Genos' fight with the Deep Sea King, Saitama's punch against DSK, it amps the power of Space Octopus's rocks, Boros punched Saitama through far more pillars, Boros dispersed a bunch of clouds when he hit Saitama from behind, his meteoric rush was more destructive, and his CSRC was stated as being planetary.

So all in all yeah. Anime amped everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back