• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While most episodes do portray Spongebob and others within tier 10 and so on, there's still the matter of why we don't rate a good chunk of long-running series tier 9 just because anything above that is less common, and it all boils down to such higher portrayals showing their proper potential. In fact, most episodes don't even challenge the main cast in terms of physical stuff as they're just doing quite mundane things, so I wouldn't write those as anti-feats.

Overall, I'm fine with removing 10-C for the most part.

Last edited:
Isnt spongebob straight up unable to lift teddy bears in some episodes? Spongebob is deffo portrayed as 10-C and a weakling in a lot of episodes...

Isnt spongebob straight up unable to lift teddy bears in some episodes? Spongebob is deffo portrayed as 10-C and a weakling in a lot of episodes...
And you seem to ignore this from the OP

"But SpongeBob can't lift teddy bears! Or a drink! Or a stick with two marshmallows! And he couldn't open a frozen door!"
I'm not denying SpongeBob is an inconsistent character like any cartoon character, but isn't it common knowledge that lifting strength is completely different from striking strength? And if SpongeBob can't open a ketchup bottle, then how the hell is he a fry cook in the first place? That's a regular task you do if you work at any restaurant. And if he can't lift anything for dear life in general, how does he manage to flip burgers with his spatula on an every day basis? SpongeBob failing to open a frozen door might be the dumbest argument of them all though (I can't find a clip from it but this is from Survival of the Idiots), since SpongeBob didn't even try to physically open it at first. That argument also ignores the amount of times he's already broken through doors and walls. Even then, come back when you can effortlessly break open a frozen metal door.

By the way, one part of SpongeBob's characteristics is how he's supposed to tank a lot of inhuman damage given his spongy body, so there goes the "He's supposed to be 10-C!" argument.

More often than not, Spongebob is superhuman durability wise; which is kind of a gag for all Saturday morning cartoon characters. But lifting strength wise, he's definitely below average human most consistently. But AP is the part I'm more neutral on.

Doesn't he lift the Golden Spatula in that one episode? Everyone tries to lift it and fails, yet he does iirc. might just be a one off thing but it's something I guess

More often than not, Spongebob is superhuman durability wise; which is kind of a gag for all Saturday morning cartoon characters. But lifting strength wise, he's definitely below average human most consistently. But AP is the part I'm more neutral on.
He broke his own fingers; ripped his body parts with no effort several times in the show, karate chopped in half Medival Squidward; when enraged lifted in the air & choked mr. Krabs(both have simular crazy durability to SB); accidently put so much effort into washing his hands that he disitingrated them; tackled Larry the Lobster, sometimes matches Sandy(both are known as powerhouses in the show) evenly & beat up her karate master without even knowing it(who was shown earlier in the same episode to sparr with her). His AP defenetly scales to his Durability
I'll add links later when I've time.
Doesn't he lift the Golden Spatula in that one episode? Everyone tries to lift it and fails, yet he does iirc. might just be a one off thing but it's something I guess
I think the others couldn't release the golden spatula from that place in the museum cause you need to be a true fry cook worthy of Neptune to do that(or sth like that)

I know he can lift normal sized objects; or at least normal sized for his standards, from time to time. But even those spatulas are still miniscule compared to ones used by humans and what not. I know he can pick up a stick just fine, and two marshmallows. But a stick with a marshmallow on both ends was too heavy for him for some reason.

Wait shit i really didnt read properly hold on...

Okay i get the whole lifting doesnt directly mean striking strength argument, but there has to be a limit when a character is repeatedly shown to be unable to lift things a basic human can. You dont have the mass to lift a ketchup bottle, yet have the physical mass to destroy an entire building, come on.

So were gonna ignore all those times hes been blatantly portrayed as a weak sponge because theyre below what he can do normally and gags... but keep the gag stuff that allows him to level all of bikini bottom with his punches as his minimum strength... sure... Even outside that theres episodes straight up dedicated to spongebob being totally weak and needing to get or fake his strenght.

Also tanking inhumane things (mostly blunt punches) is just him being cushiony and would be entirely elasticasy and durability.

Yeah spongebobs inconsistent, but i really dont think 10-C should be removed. Or at very least 9-A+ being listed as a minimum rating sounds like a massive stretch.

Intuitively it seems safer to keep the variable tier for such an extremely inconsistent gag character, but that's me.

his moments of weakness are meant for comedy and are only brought up during very specific, far-in-between moments (e.g. MuscleBob BuffPants when he tries to fool Sandy into thinking he's muscular and No Weenies Allowed when he wants to go into a bar for tough fish). They are outnumbered by his much greater feats (e.g. going from slipping on an ice cube to getting struck by lightning, sparring with Sandy in karate, being set on fire, being vaporized, having Patrick drop his rock house on him several times, not feeling Flats' punches, surviving Bikini Bottom exploding, etc).

Only 4 of those are actually force durability feats (unless lightning gives physical dura?). And two of them are just scaling to a squirrel and another fish who have the same rating as spongebob by scaling so i cant say much to that. The rest are basically just as much comedic purposes as the 10-C stuff (especially the bikini bottom one). I really dont think the anti feats are as outweighed as youre saying here.

Also tanking inhumane things (mostly blunt punches) is just him being cushiony and would be entirely elasticasy and durability.
Is it entirely durability though? He already harms many comparable characters and has many higher feats on his profile that supports his strength mirrors his durability. Even then, one of his favorite hobbies is karate, and he's sparred with Sandy in that a lot.

But if the "anti-feats aren't as outweighed", then I'll just try my best to list as much feats as I can anyway.

Anything above 10-C:

That's not even counting how superhuman "normal" humans in the verse are, and how many more feats there are. Now onto 10-C...when it's, again, most of it is just lifting strength (by this point I don't think I'll count the teddy bear scene, since he actually managed to lift them up not just once, not just twice, but thrice):

Last edited:
Is it entirely durability though? He already harms many comparable characters and has many higher feats on his profile that supports his strength mirrors his durability. Even then, one of his favorite hobbies is karate, and he's sparred with Sandy in that a lot.

But if the "anti-feats aren't as outweighed", then I'll just try my best to list as much feats as I can anyway.

Anything above 10-C:

That's not even counting how superhuman "normal" humans in the verse are, and how many more feats there are. Now onto 10-C...when it's, again, most of it is just lifting strength (by this point I don't think I'll count the teddy bear scene, since he actually managed to lift them up not just once, not just twice, but thrice):

It seems weird to me when people say that Spongebob is 10-C when he does things higher than 10-C on a regular basis than most people give him credit for. Plus most of the 10-C stuff is the usual “cartoon character struggles to do basic things” joke which most cartoons do. And even if you want to count the weak LS feats (which I think would be downplay as well) there’s the fact that LS =/= AP, Striking Strength, and durability. No matter what point you look at it, it wouldn’t make since for Spongebob to have a 10-C tier.

I think you should be okay, yes.

I have done so. Please let me know when you're finished and don't forget to link the thread as justification for the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back