• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never thought I'd have to explain why 10-C SpongeBob is bad in every regard, but I'll try to keep this simple. Maybe not short, but simple.

Getting to the point, 10-C SpongeBob does not seem legit, and a lot of its reasons are off.

"But SpongeBob has been overpowered by humans and seagulls!"

SpongeBob has only been overpowered by an ordinary, featless human once (The Cyclops from the first movie), but I'll get to that in a bit. Humans and seagulls being stronger than the SpongeBob cast doesn't mean they need a 10-C key on them at all times. It simply means they upscale them. As for the seagull part, that was literally in one episode (Pressure), so that argument already falls flat on its back.

In fact, humans in the SpongeBob universe are usually shown to be WAY above the average human:

The only human who has shown to be normal and featless is The Cyclops. Sure, he overpowered SpongeBob and Patrick, but you have to remember this was in a movie. The writers weren't suddenly going to think "We should have SpongeBob and Patrick beat him up!". If they weren't any match for The Cyclops, the movie would've been a whole lot shorter, so it's plot-induced stupidity at best.

Btw it's probably worth noting the seagulls who overpowered SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward and Mr. Krabs survived an unrestrained beating from Sandy, so unless you wanna say real life seagulls can tank 9-A attacks, then...there's that.

All in all, the amount of times SpongeBob and co. were overthrown by normal humans and animals sit at two, which might actually be one since the seagulls have shown superhuman durability.

"But SpongeBob can't lift teddy bears! Or a drink! Or a stick with two marshmallows! And he couldn't open a frozen door!"
I'm not denying SpongeBob is an inconsistent character like any cartoon character, but isn't it common knowledge that lifting strength is completely different from striking strength? And if SpongeBob can't open a ketchup bottle, then how the hell is he a fry cook in the first place? That's a regular task you do if you work at any restaurant. And if he can't lift anything for dear life in general, how does he manage to flip burgers with his spatula on an every day basis? SpongeBob failing to open a frozen door might be the dumbest argument of them all though (I can't find a clip from it but this is from Survival of the Idiots), since SpongeBob didn't even try to physically open it at first. That argument also ignores the amount of times he's already broken through doors and walls. Even then, come back when you can effortlessly break open a frozen metal door.

By the way, one part of SpongeBob's characteristics is how he's supposed to tank a lot of inhuman damage given his spongy body, so there goes the "He's supposed to be 10-C!" argument.

"The characters are too small!"
This is easy. It's true SpongeBob is 4 inches tall, but size doesn't equal strength, much like how lifting strength doesn't equal striking strength. The Knight is the size of a bug, but is blatantly ranked 9-B because he has feats that prove he's far above the ordinary insect. And then there's Kirby...

Unless you don't have any feats to stand on, size shouldn't define how powerful you are, and the two characters I mentioned are good examples of that.

tl;dr - 10-C SpongeBob is downplay, and all of its arguments are really flat. He's inconsistent like any fictional character, but his moments of weakness are meant for comedy and are only brought up during very specific, far-in-between moments (e.g. MuscleBob BuffPants when he tries to fool Sandy into thinking he's muscular and No Weenies Allowed when he wants to go into a bar for tough fish). They are outnumbered by his much greater feats (e.g. going from slipping on an ice cube to getting struck by lightning, sparring with Sandy in karate, being set on fire, being vaporized, having Patrick drop his rock house on him several times, not feeling Flats' punches, surviving Bikini Bottom exploding, etc). Should this go through, his key in base form should be "Varies from 9-A to 8-B".

Last edited:
Your arguments involving other verses are useless since they aren't SpongeBob. As for the stuff regarding humans, that can be used as a legitimate argument since if the "humans" in SpongeBob have consistent feats above being normal humans than any feats against him by them cannot be used as an argument to downgrade him. As for the other stuff, saying it's extreme downplay is laughable since it's clear the writers don't care what tier he is and have him vary regardless of it it's higher than 10-C or even lower. I'll say I'm neutral but don't have an issue with it being removed if majority agree with it.

Last edited:
it's clear the writers don't care what tier he is and have him vary regardless of it it's higher than 10-C or even lower.
That's true the writers aren't really focused on this, but that's no reason to deny SpongeBob being higher than 10-C. Going by the logic of the 10-C key, he wouldn't even be allowed to have his 9-A/8-B keys considering he's supposedly this weak a lot. Even then, lifting strength doesn't equal striking.

That's true the writers aren't really focused on this, but that's no reason to deny SpongeBob being higher than 10-C. Going by the logic of the 10-C key, he wouldn't even be allowed to have his 9-A/8-B keys considering he's supposedly this weak a lot. Even then, lifting strength doesn't equal striking.
I didn't say anything about denying it. Heck I'll admit he has higher feats and scales to people with higher feats. I just rather not use the writer argument to downplay or wank a character, which is why I addressed it.

Actually yeah, I'll go from neutral to agreeing. There isn't much of a valid reason to keep him at that minimum given the human argument doesn't work and most of the other stuff is lifting strength feats which get contradicted by every episode he goes to work and lifts his spatula like the OP stated. Those lifting feats should just be treated as gag feats since they are only really brought up in those specific episodes which aren't consistent.

An example would be him slipping on an ice cube and getting really injured despite in various other episode such as Patrick slamming the rock on him or Flats punching him and it does nothing. Sure he's inconsistent but I can agree with the OP, his extremely low feats are actually beat out by his higher feats.

About the scaling in the verse; Most superhuman feats clearly come out of Toon Force, making the character do crazy things but without them having the same stats all the time. It's not correct to simply grab a number of those, apply it to what the characters can do all the time and likewise scaling it to other characters. Mermaid Man for example is put at "at most 8-B" based of scaling to characters who were not at that level whenever he scaled to them, and that makes no sense at all, it would only if everyone was "possibly 8-B" and so there was possibly a chance of those he scales from being at that level, this being something basic. Same with 9-A if characters don't have something on that level themselves. We have a note on the Toon Force page saying how abilities don't scale, do we need to add in how the same applies to stats?

I don't disagree with this as I can't come up with a list of anti-feats, but I will say that I do not trust the users here being sincere about the anti-feats being portrayed as low as they are, I remember the enviroment messing up characters just as one would imagine it would and yet that somehow isn't worth noting but things like bringing up other verses is, it's incredibly suspicious. If I wanted to argue that this characters are always not 10-C I will legit list all anti-feats, all feats, and then just leave everyone else judge by themselves knowing that I what I proposed is correct, but this is more relaxed, manipulative and with people being kinda unprofessional about the matter.

About the scaling in the verse; Most superhuman feats clearly come out of Toon Force, making the character do crazy things but without them having the same stats all the time. It's not correct to simply grab a number of those, apply it to what the characters can do all the time and likewise scaling it to other characters. Mermaid Man for example is put at "at most 8-B" based of scaling to characters who were not at that level whenever he scaled to them, and that makes no sense at all, it would only if everyone was "possibly 8-B" and so there was possibly a chance of those he scales from being at that level, this being something basic. Same with 9-A if characters don't have something on that level themselves. We have a note on the Toon Force page saying how abilities don't scale, do we need to add in how the same applies to stats?
Then SpongeBob wouldn't have a rating since his many of his feats are based off Toon Force, and his lower feats are just gags that are for that single episode such as how SpongeBob Lifting Strength only comes into question when it's an episode about weight lifting, making appear extremely weak yet in countless episodes he's doing things that wouldn't be possible with such low strength. He might as well be Unknown in general.
I don't disagree with this as I can't come up with a list of anti-feats, but I will say that I do not trust the users here being sincere about the anti-feats being portrayed as low as they are, I remember the enviroment messing up characters just as one would imagine it would and yet that somehow isn't worth noting but things like bringing up other verses is, it's incredibly suspicious. If I wanted to argue that this characters are always not 10-C I will legit list all anti-feats, all feats, and then just leave everyone else judge by themselves knowing that I what I proposed is correct, but this is more relaxed, manipulative and with people being kinda unprofessional about the matter.
First, saying you "don't trust the users here being sincere about anti-feats" is to suggest many here are being false/lying for some reason which is a bold claim to make without something to back it up. I haven't watched the newer episodes of SpongeBob but I'll say that the sheer amount of episodes of him simply doing his job and other activities would be impossible if he was 10-C. I'm not going to sit here and lie for nothing, and I've already stated he was inconsistent but the feats used to put him at 10-C are from low number of episodes compared to majority as far as I can remember. I've also mentioned in my first comment that mentioning other verses is useless and doesn't help the OP's arguments. Also, do you realize how almost impossible this statement you made is...

"If I wanted to argue that this characters are always not 10-C I will legit list all anti-feats, all feats, and then just leave everyone else judge by themselves knowing that I what I proposed is correct, but this is more relaxed, manipulative and with people being kinda unprofessional about the matter."

You expect the OP to go through all the episodes of SpongeBob and list everything (anti-feats, and feats)... none of us would be able to do such a thing in a short time and no one would have the time to review that large list. I'll agree the way some people are commenting is unprofessional to some degree, but manipulative! That's unlikely, in my opinion.

Then SpongeBob wouldn't have a rating since his many of his feats are based off Toon Force, and his lower feats are just gags that are for that single episode such as how SpongeBob Lifting Strength only comes into question when it's an episode about weight lifting, making appear extremely weak yet in countless episodes he's doing things that wouldn't be possible with such low strength. He might as well be Unknown in general.
He would have a rating based on Toon Force, coming from his own feats. Toon Force can in fact make characters weaker and such, like Timmy Turner tripping over a bug to overexaggerate the idea that he's uncoordinated or Duffy Duck forgetting he can fly & swim to nonsensically follow the idea that he was in danger when falling, that's not to say that this lower showings should be listed as they're clearly not consistent in general. The overexaggerated idea of SpongeBob not being able to lift less than his own weight is false, but it doesn't come out of nowhere, the general idea of him struggling to lift heavy things does exist.
First, saying you "don't trust the users here being sincere about anti-feats" is to suggest many here are being false/lying for some reason which is a bold claim to make without something to back it up.
That isn't the case, if they were to know anti-feats (more than what I can count) but weren't bringing them up because they didn't believe them to matter then they wouldn't be false or lying, because, as they see it, those don't matter, and so it's unthinkable to bring them up. On a more combat-based verse or with higher stats at play, they would know that anti-feats matter and so the same wouldn't happen. They're not bringing up anti-feats but they're not being purposely false or lying.

Then again, when I say anti-feats I mean things like Mrs Puff stealing SpongeBob's car, the latter chasing her and getting cut to pieces in the process by things below his claimed durability here, not how he can't lift something the size of his hands.
Also, do you realize how almost impossible this statement you made is...

"If I wanted to argue that this characters are always not 10-C I will legit list all anti-feats, all feats, and then just leave everyone else judge by themselves knowing that I what I proposed is correct, but this is more relaxed, manipulative and with people being kinda unprofessional about the matter."

You expect the OP to go through all the episodes of SpongeBob and list everything (anti-feats, and feats)... none of us would be able to do such a thing in a short time and no one would have the time to review that large list.
That would make the evidence not even as big as the claims, scaling wise this makes pretty much everyone at any time 9-A, even some old people, Plankton who gets harmed by getting stomped, kicked and thrown away, Mrs Puff who gets hurt in car crashes, and many regular characters who do not have the impressive, calc'd at 9-A feats other characters showed. If I was some random person seeing the pages I would just disbelieve how things were handled and move on, dismissively as that, when it should ideally be "I see how things were handled, the reasons for such a decision, and then agree/disagree".
I've also mentioned in my first comment that mentioning other verses is useless and doesn't help the OP's arguments.
I'll agree the way some people are commenting is unprofessional to some degree, but manipulative! That's unlikely, in my opinion.
That was mostly aimed at the OP, the comments just at worst give a vibe of "I want this to happen" rather than " I evaluate this to be accurate".

The overexaggerated idea of SpongeBob not being able to lift less than his own weight is false, but it doesn't come out of nowhere, the general idea of him struggling to lift heavy things does exist.
But that has nothing to do with his tier when lifting strength has nothing to do with has AP and Striking Strength.
That would make the evidence not even as big as the claims, scaling wise this makes pretty much everyone at any time 9-A, even some old people, Plankton who gets harmed by getting stomped, kicked and thrown away, Mrs Puff who gets hurt in car crashes, and many regular characters who do not have the impressive, calc'd at 9-A feats other characters showed. If I was some random person seeing the pages I would just disbelieve how things were handled and move on, dismissively as that, when it should ideally be "I see how things were handled, the reasons for such a decision, and then agree/disagree".
Plankton obviously shouldn't scale since he's constantly shown being stomped (literally) by everyone so I don't know why you are using him as a scaling example. Mrs Puff has been in many car crashes and the only thing that's happened to her is puffing up.
That was mostly aimed at the OP, the comments just at worst give a vibe of "I want this to happen" rather than " I evaluate this to be accurate".
You didn't make that clear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back