• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

0.5 Second Unconsciousness

According to Yuji and Baki, it can. Yujiro was going to 0.5 Baki's 0.5 and vice versa, until Yujiro likely won

Fancy talk. The fun part is they don't even do that despite hyping themselves up they're about to do it.

Every instance of it being used was them literally attacking the other, and the other somehow dodging.

Hang on

Fancy talk? Baki flat out decided to counter it because it was going to happen and he was going to lose. It even happened the first time Yujiro did it to Baki (Baki tried to use it again, but Yuji 0.5'd his 0.5)

Found this from a nice respect thread for Baki..

https://www.reddit.com/r/respectthreads/comments/8gfpfr/respect_baki_hanma_baki_the_grappler/

Baki takes advantage of the Olivia's 0.5 seconds of unconsciousness. Here Olivia describes what exactly happened to him. Alright. I'm gonna say it now. This is just one huge ass anti-feat for Baki characters. Characters in Baki can dodge point blank bullets which would take a lot less than half a second to close the distance. I wouldn't use this in a serious discussion with Baki characters. It's essentially like saying "Well Goku got hurt by a rock." This happens one more time with Yujiro and I only include these for sake of completion. [SOO]

As another bonus, I finally tracked down the manga source. Well easier considering it's on ******** 275 and...

https://s2.********.org/data/9f886ed94a96770ac2489b861d707367/x16.jpg

To counter it, he literally just needed to move faster.

That's it.

That's all he had to do. Nothing specific about the 0.5 vs 0.5

That's it.

You're literally trying to turn something that isn't a haxx, into a haxx. A weakness, into a haxx.

No wait, my mistake.

They did clash one more time.

I think I just skipped it cause you said it was up to 11:50 before.

Anyway it's shown and.... It's literally Baki countering his father's attack at the last moment. There's no use of 0.5 seconds as an actual ability. 279 rn

I already addressed all of this. 1) It's not actually 0.5 seconds, that's part is irrefutable at this point. 2) Baki has to move faster than Yujiro can activate 0.5 seconds, I just said that not too long ago. Also, a few pages before that, before Baki comes to the conclusion that he can't win 0.5 v 0.5, the 0.5 v 0.5 battle discussion happens.

Its a hax

This is the limited subjective reality all over again.

The author says it's 0.5 seconds.

The narrator does. Yujiro, Baki, everyone does.

You're claiming it's not 0.5 seconds BECAUSE of the given speed feats we have through calcs. Calcs that the author would not know of. Calcs that should be second to what the author actually says when it doesn't contradict too much or is an outlier

And to your second point... So, move faster than before Yujiro can use a skill? Seems easy enough.

Tell me which chapter specifically? Please?

It ain't haxx.

It's a speed feat.

If you put this on, you're only lying to everyone else and yourself.

If calcs were second to the author's intent, Death of the Author wouldn't exist. It's not 0.5 seconds, regardless of the author's knowledge or intent.

Yes, it's really that simple

Sure...

If you're talking about the scene where Ogre blitzes the hell out of Baki after counting down to 5, it means nothing more than their speed being close. C278 ( https://s2.********.org/data/1ee6f6bc93accf61926bbd7a17a154bd/x15.jpg )

And that would simply be the use of "Death of the Author" on claiming that Yujiro is faster in that case.

Ciruno Fortes said:
If you're talking about the scene where Ogre blitzes the hell out of Baki after counting down to 5, it means nothing more than their speed being close. C278 ( https://s2.********.org/data/1ee6f6bc93accf61926bbd7a17a154bd/x15.jpg )
And that would simply be the use of "Death of the Author" on claiming that Yujiro is faster in that case.
No that's after the Pocket Hand clash. 0.5 battle to Pocket Hand battle to "Ill count to 5"

If it was actually 0.5, there's no way Yujiro, who was affected by Baki's 0.5, could react to this https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/User_blog:TataHakai/Baki:_Musashi_attempts_a_blitz

Ciruno Fortes said:
claiming it's not 0.5 seconds BECAUSE of the given speed feats we have through calcs. Calcs that the author would not know of. Calcs that should be second to what the author actually says when it doesn't contradict too much or is an outlier
Yeah, the author totally thinks someone with 0.5s reaction time can dodge lighting and do the 0.0001s feat. He's just that dumb.

It's only called 0.5s unconscious because that's the original name Oliva gave it in relation to how it's explained on Tor N├©rretrander's book, a book made and readed by REGULAR PEOPLE, with regular reaction speeds.

Can't we all just accept the fact that the author had no idea what he was doing while writing this ability as a whole and just ignore its existence

Yeah, throwing away stuff like Muhammad Ali punching at speeds of 0.11 seconds, Yujiro literally reacts at 0.0001 seconds

@Baki

It would be real nice to have citations for where this events happened.

I'm gonna read through again tomorrow at a later date. Getting late here.

@KG

Then... .Isn't that simply the fact that he is wrong on 0.5, and instead of cherry picking and using all the good sides of 0.5 to elevate actual stats...

Shouldn't we just ditch the feat entirely and count it as unreliable?

Especially considering there doesn't seem to be much else use of it.

KGiffoni said:
Can't we all just accept the fact that the author had no idea what he was doing while writing this ability as a whole and just ignore its existence
Yeah it's what i proposed here

Once more.

The artist doesn't know about the existence of calcs.

I don't mind ignoring low ends.

I do very much mind when we're freaking elevating statistics and creating non-existent haxx out of feats that are nothing more than speed feats or literal weaknesses.

Just because the author is wrong doesn't mean we can make up our own truths.

btw i only now noticed you're Ciruno with another profile picture, i thought a random dude just joined the topic lol

yeah i totally agree with the dismission of this feat, personally

Amlad22 should opine too, he's very known of the verse

Baki used it on Yujiro, ergo it should at least max out at Yujiro's speed. Nobody making up truths, it's exactly what we see on the manga pages

Amlad22 said:
I've made my points on this before. But my main point is that with verse equalization being a thing that allows matches from some of our favourite verses like Bleach, Naruto, etc to be possible without being stomps, Baki shouldn't be a verse that is for some reason exempt from verse equalization.
Speed literally means nothing against 0.5 as well. If you can stop Baki before he activates the move, then it can be stopped. But even if you are 1000x faster, and you let Baki/Yujiro start the 0.5, you literally become unable to react or move for those 0.5 seconds. Speed means little to nothing once the move has been activated. The big example of this is of course how Base Baki used 0.5 on Yujiro despite the latter being able to blitz Baki multiple times casually.
Amlad's thoughts

My bad lol, I wanted to show off Good Place since it's a great series.

Yeah. It's for the best.

Amlad I find very reliable and seems to know a lot of the series as much as Baki18.

Due to the massive headache this has brought and the sheer dubiousness, I find it reliable to just dismiss this feat entirely. Especially with how bad the author explained it.

What I see on the manga is analytical prediction and attacking while the enemy is attacking, thus interrupting them. Which means this isn't always unstoppable. Also the moment I realized Baki's battle with Yujiro lasts for more than just a few chaps, this is less Instinctive.

Personally, i feel like 0.5sU works like this:

It's very similar to how Musashi does it. The 0.5sU user intercepts your brain signals, he doesn't know what action you're about to do (unlike Musashi), but he can identify when you're triggered and when you're truly conscious. If he sees you just got triggered, he has (insert reaction speed of the opponent in seconds here) to beat the opponent up.

At least i think that's what the author intended to put there, but instead ended up making a big mess instead.

@KG

Yeah, honestly the author could have made it much more effective.

If he made away with the 0.5 factor, it wouldn't be such a big deal to me. But it's so repeated and enforced to be 0.5 seconds. And this is the first time I hear Death of the Author actually being used, when you get stuff like OPM being nerfed because of said author and disregarding certain calcs back then.

This is why I really don't think this ability should be used on the first place with how unreliably set up it is.

To me.... It's just for 0.5 seconds he managed to wail on someone while they were reacting. Managing to figure out how to react to them before they can act. This is literally just Analytical Prediction over a period of time. I can't see it anymore as thise "You can keep hitting the enemy for their reaction time" with how unreliable it is set up.

@Baki

I'm gonna track down that context for that book thing when I read. We really need more citations of feats there. I believe it but literally everyone points out how it's an anti-feat

KGiffoni said:
It's only called 0.5s unconscious because that's the original name Oliva gave it in relation to how it's explained on Tor N├©rretrander's book, a book made and readed by regular people, with regular reaction speeds.

Yujiro and Baki also call it "0.5s" but both of them also have as a basis the same book, from Tor N├©rretranders and Yujiro is friends with Oliva.

Yeah but the issue is, somehow it's being aruged over people with such a grand speed in comparison. It's an NLF.

It's like

Character A has an attack that pierces all defenses of Character B

Character B can also do the same despite being a bit weaker

By that logic, Character A and B should be in the same tier and thus can use such an ability.

Not, Clearly this ability breaches all through time and defenses.

(I mean if it's haxx it would work but if it's just by raw power it wouldn't work on everyone.

In this case with Baki, it's speed)

Also just in general everyone literally calls this an anti feat except for Baki18. And I'm not counting on anyone else who's a yes man for Baki's 0.5 since they won't participate in this debate and hasn't seen how it actually works. I know I'm lazy enough to ignore the issues with certain feats

The only haxy part (and I'd barely call this a hax) is the fact that as MHS or speed equalized, the opponent can't react. If the opponent is faster than MHS (roughly around Yujiro's DB max speed), the move simply wouldn't work.

Yeah. I agree. In the case of equalization. But not anything else without equalization.

What I disagree with is that it can be spammed repeatedly. If you claim it's an ability that would instantly work on the first encounter and such. Since at that point the enemy just realized Yujiro predicted them. A pragmatic cheap trick, as Yujiro himself calls it, didn't last very long against Baki. And from Baki to Yujiro.

Ciruno Fortes said:
Yeah. I agree. In the case of equalization. But not anything else without equalization.
What I disagree with is that it can be spammed repeatedly. If you claim it's an ability that would instantly work on the first encounter and such. Since at that point the enemy just realized Yujiro predicted them. A pragmatic cheap trick, as Yujiro himself calls it, didn't last very long against Baki. And from Baki to Yujiro.
It can easily be spammed according to the battle between Baki and Yujiro, it's just that it's like any other move, in that it's effectiveness dwindles with repeated use. It starts getting predictable. Hell, it only took Yujiro 2 tries to predict it and counter it with his own

So there you go.

The more you use it, the more your enemy becomes resilient to it.

All you need is to get a sense of timing of what the other is about to do. Therefore this should be noted as it can't work on the long run against certain enemies.

It's not amazing in non-speed-equalized matches or against people who have their own prediction/analytical skills and is therefore not unstoppable.

Everything else there I'm agreeing with though.

That's not what I said. It becomes more predictable, the opponent doesn't develop a resilience.

Yes, but I don't exactly see how that's different from most moves in general. If Goku were to spam Kamehameha, the opponent would know to rush him when he charges it

If the speeds are similar between the two characters, it's almost as good as speed equalized, but yeah, with precog involved, it kind of loses everything that makes it special, definitely not unstoppable.

Its specialty is literally interrupting attacks.

If you can expect that ability to be more predictable, it's the same effect as it becoming less effective.

It should be noted as such then since all the arguments I see is that no one else can interrupt it somehow.

That's when I start saying "No". This ability only works on the 0.5 second level.

With it being such an anti-feat it's better off discarded. It's already pushing too far to let this ability be used in the first place anyway. You either keep it with the current status and disregard this hyperinflation of the 0.5's reaction limit, or we just remove it entirely.

True, the effect is the same, I just wanted to clarify the difference in the cause

It can interrupted if you can skip your brain's reaction processing or one can be completely unaffected if they are way faster

It worked on Yujiro, ergo it should work on people of that speed or less, that's literally what is seen to happen

You're basically inducing a NLF where no one can literally react to it since every brain needs a reaction. You can use that argument to have him beat MFTL opponents without speed equalization.

What's seen to happen is everyone from the Narrator, Baki, and Yujiro, literally talking about the 0.5 deal, and then literally overwhelming it by becoming faster than the 0.5 deal.

That's the simple and most clear answer.

Remind me, how is the thing even "used" at all? I thought originally it was more that the Hanma in question merely did something to explicitly cause the delay rather than it applying for every single action no matter what.

Son of Ogre

C275, Pg 18 - https://********.org/chapter/202738/18

https://s5.********.org/data/9f886ed94a96770ac2489b861d707367/x3.jpg

C276

Literally described to be an interception war. Or at least an escalation of going with faster reflexes.

I'm trying to ask for chapter pages of where it exactly happens since I'm struggling with the dialogue. This is the first instance I'm seeing, there's a vid link above there somewhere.

It's literally attacking while someone is performing an action to interrupt. There's really nothing "Haxxy" about it that allows one to be completely unstoppable to the enemy. You don't need some sort of "Turn off your brain signals" to be able to harm the enemy.

Edit - Honestly I'd argue for this more, but I really can't afford the time rn. Trying to avoid big scale debates till a certain deadline is finished so gonna focus on that

I feel like there's something there's something missing about our understanding or comprehension of the ability... but I can't imagine how to describe it, so there's not a lot I can do.

Ciruno Fortes said:
You're basically inducing a NLF where no one can literally react to it since every brain needs a reaction. You can use that argument to have him beat MFTL opponents without speed equalization.

What's seen to happen is everyone from the Narrator, Baki, and Yujiro, literally talking about the 0.5 deal, and then literally overwhelming it by becoming faster than the 0.5 deal.

That's the simple and most clear answer.
No, the amount of time a MFTL character needs to react is WAAAAY less than MHS characters, and as I've said several times before, the cap should be the speed shown, MHS

What is seen is 0.5 working on Baki and Yujiro, the rest are (incorrect) statements within the manga

Death of the Author

Back