• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Your favorite character plays a game of higher-dimensional chess.

Jinsye

She/Her
Bernkastel reaches across the Sea of Fragment and plucks your character to play against the Golden Witch herself. Their goal is to disprove magic exists on Rokkenjima on October 4th and October 5th. The way they do that is by explaining how the murders could've been done by human means, simple enough.

They get a piece (avatar) put on the gameboard and take the role of the Detective and thus have to follow all of Knox's rules. This piece will experience the mystery happen in real time and cannot die.

Will they be able to expose the heart of the Golden Witch?

IDK about the plot that's the basis of this -Which murders are they investigating?- but Knox's 2nd kills a lot of fun as well as makes this much less doable for many characters.
"It is forbidden for supernatural agencies to be employed as a detective technique."

This sucks for a lot of characters put in this position, but at least Mew is canonically described as highly intelligent. & then we get mundane abilities of various supernatural species/beings. Like some of them can just hear as well as real world animals, which happens to be superhuman. Is using this superhearing disallowed by the 2nd rule, too? What about being extraordinarily intelligent? Is that a supernatural agency, too?

@Imaginym

I am not the creator of the thread my guy

Also this is a plot from an already existing visual novel, the murder is the Rokkenjima massacre or something. Dunno about senses but intelligence isn’t supernatural.

@Imaginym

I am not the creator of the thread my guy

Also this is a plot from an already existing visual novel, the murder is the Rokkenjima massacre or something. Dunno about senses but intelligence isn’t supernatural.
Yeah, I was kinda braindead at the time. Deeply sorry. What I should have done was @Edwardtruong2006 .
Anyway, can't some levels of intelligence be argued as being superhuman, or humanly unachievable, especially for real world humans?

Less depends on defining what supernatural is and more depends on what you consider "a means of investigation for the detective to be". If you don't consider intelligence and the detective separate then intelligence wouldn't fall under that.

Making it public this time Ed? Ok, in all seriousness I imagine most characters I like would do very poorly either due to insufficient intelligence or a lack of knowledge of modern human culture. Even Skitter isn't allowed due to rule 2, though her post canon would be interesting. The best candidate of people I can appreciate would probably be Accelerator however given his sheer processing power and objective personality. He could, and absolutely would, just calculate what every possible method is and throw out every plausible theory until Beato is unable to think of an out.

Considering a way of solving the crime is “lol meta fiction” I wonder how normal Pathologic characters would do.

The Bachelor is pretty incompetent when it comes to these types of things (he’s actually very similar to Battler) but considering the way he defeated death in the marble nest I feel like he might be able to do this, although that might be less the bachelor and more the actor (Death does remark on the person speaking to him potentially not being the bachelor, plus he actually had to be the actor in the first place for it to work at all). Daniil is also pretty good at bouncing theories around.

The Haruspex is an objective thinker (due to the l i n e s), which I might say makes him worse off because he won’t be able to come up with a bunch of theories, although if he’s the skin of the actor he might have a chance.

The Changeling thinks that it’s normal for reality to be a game children are playing in a sandbox so I think she can come to certain conclusions pretty easily (plus her lies work like the truths so she might be good at thinking in terms of that), although it doesn’t really make sense for her to be a detective arguing against magic considering she is literally just Pathologic’s version of the witches.

Back