• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Worst Downplay

At least one more: mere supersonic Carnage

Seriously, Carnage should have Supersonic+ movement speed, hypersonic or higher projectile speed and MHS+ reaction speed imo.

Jasonsith said:
At least one more: mere supersonic Carnage

Seriously, Carnage should have Supersonic+ movement speed, high hypersonic+/low massively hypersonic long ranged projectile speed, MHS+ reaction speed, and relativistic with spider sense.
Fixed

I think one of the series I downplayed the most in the past was Saint Seiya. When I first watched it, I was like, four years old or so, and I missed literally every impressive statement; I was legit surprised when I found out how powerful it is.

Oh yeah, Sonic is another one I downplayed a lot when I was a kid; I thought he was as fast as a speeding car at most, and I didn't even know Archie existed.

Paulo.junior.969 said:
Oh yeah, Sonic is another one I downplayed a lot when I was a kid; I thought he was as fast as a speeding car at most, and I didn't even know Archie existed.
He probably didn't pending on how old you are.

10-C to 9-C undertale, since several characters where beaten to death by a child and by the same child but with a knife

Wall level Pulseman.

The worst part is that it is Game Freak's fault for using the exactly same explosion animation for everything.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I love how every time a character is portrayed or interpreted by someone else as being lower than depicted here on the wiki, it is therefore "downplay". As if our wiki and its policies are VS debating gospel.
It's much better than ScrewAttack.

@AN Because a vast majority of other VS Debating sources are ruled by a small minority compared to this Wiki. Which pretty much guarantees that wank and/or downplay will take far longer to be debunked than on more active websites like here or the OBD.

I don't like to say that things are objective, but I think that a small group of people with vague standards doing quick research on a verse <<< a whole website made out of fans of nearly every series hosted there with strict standards.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I love how every time a character is portrayed or interpreted by someone else as being lower than depicted here on the wiki, it is therefore "downplay". As if our wiki and its policies are VS debating gospel.
You still have to admit athlete Jedi is pretty bad.

Besides, I don't like this mentality of dismissing different ratings from other websites as just "opinions". It undermines pretty much the entire point of the Wiki. There IS a degree of objectivity to VS Debating, otherwise this Wiki (or any others like it) wouldn't exist.

@Torlikoff

I'm not referring to Athlete level Jedi. Obviously that's horrible.

I'm talking about 5-A Kirby, 7-B Mario, and 8-C Sonic. Yeah they dismiss a lot of higher feats, but do you know how many platform game characters suffer from "they die on spikes" downplay? To this day there are people in Death Battle comments sections who deny Kirby's 5-A feat because he dies to normal enemies, and yet the worst example of downplay we have to offer is acknowledging that 5-A feat in the first place?

>Galaxy level Kami Tenchi

Okay but that's still freaking Galaxy level and it's not like they're scoffing at it. They're acknowledging the fact that he did a 3-C feat and it's nowhere near this trainwreck of a blog, so it's not like they're doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to try and get their character to win.

The thread is titled "Worst Downplay". To me, that title implies that this thead is about examples of downplay that are so horrible, they are laughable, especially when the reasoning behind them is taken into account.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
@Torlikoff

I'm not referring to Athlete level Jedi. Obviously that's horrible.

I'm talking about 5-A Kirby, 7-B Mario, and 8-C Sonic. Yeah they dismiss a lot of higher feats, but do you know how many platform game characters suffer from "they die on spikes" downplay? To this day there are people in Death Battle comments sections who deny Kirby's 5-A feat because he dies to normal enemies, and yet the worst example of downplay we have to offer is acknowledging that 5-A feat in the first place?

>Galaxy level Kami Tenchi

Okay but that's still freaking Galaxy level and it's not like they're scoffing at it. They're acknowledging the fact that he did a 3-C feat and it's nowhere near this trainwreck of a blog, so it's not like they're doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to try and get their character to win.

The thread is titled "Worst Downplay". To me, that title implies that this thead is about examples of downplay that are so horrible, they are laughable, especially when the reasoning behind them is taken into account.
8-C Sonic is just ridiculous though.

Genericstickman said:
Solaris having Star Level durability
Oh boy, it's comical when Sonic downplayers are like "LOL Sonic, Shadow, and Silver don't scale to Solaris because they attacked his weakpoint." They're clueless on how higher dimensional physiology works.

@ShadowWarrior1999 Not as ridiculous as "he dies on spikes" or "he only survives because he has rings on him".

Coming from an outside perspective, it's a little weird to see someone as Planet or Multi-Continent level when they don't perform over the top feats on the regular like in Asura's Wrath, Dragon Ball Z or One Punch Man, so anything Planet level or higher seems outlierish unless it's somewhat obvious that the author was definitely trying to convey how powerful their character is. All it takes to retain that mindset is ignorance towards the concept of Plot-Induced Stupidity.

When someone mentions 8-C Sonic, they're at least acknowledging the fact that he performed an 8-C feat at some point, and they're actually giving it to him, as opposed to doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to deny it. In that situation you can actually give them the benefit of the doubt based on the paragraph I wrote above.

Tomato level Frisk on the other hand is blatantly dishonest, and focuses entirely on anti-feats. Holding up such a statement requires you to ignore the core concept of DETERMINATION altogether.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
@ShadowWarrior1999 Not as ridiculous as "he dies on spikes" or "he only survives because he has rings on him".

Coming from an outside perspective, it's a little weird to see someone as Planet or Multi-Continent level when they don't perform over the top feats on the regular like in Asura's Wrath, Dragon Ball Z or One Punch Man, so anything Planet level or higher seems outlierish unless it's somewhat obvious that the author was definitely trying to convey how powerful their character is. All it takes to retain that mindset is ignorance towards the concept of Plot-Induced Stupidity.

When someone mentions 8-C Sonic, they're at least acknowledging the fact that he performed an 8-C feat at some point, and they're actually giving it to him, as opposed to doing all sorts of mental gymnastics to deny it. In that situation you can actually give them the benefit of the doubt based on the paragraph I wrote above.

Tomato level Frisk on the other hand is blatantly dishonest, and focuses entirely on anti-feats. Holding up such a statement requires you to ignore the core concept of DETERMINATION altogether.
It's because they have an inability to separate gameplay mechanics from the actual lore. For example, ScrewAttack mentioned the super forms "only lasting a few minutes due to a limited supply of rings." Rings are just a gameplay mechanic to make the final bosses harder and in Sonic Advance, Sonic maintained his super form for days.

Eh, I run another VS site, and we do things on a radical tangent to this site due to a focus on writing the battles out as stories.

Mocking other sites or comparing our site to others doesn't really accomplish much; if other people are having fun doing VS debate in a different way than us, more power to them.

This is all just a fun hobby at most anyway ( hell I disagree with several ratings here)

But I learned to just agree to disagree and not take vs things to seriously it makes things infinitely more fun imo

Dargoo Faust said:
Eh, I run another VS site, and we do things on a radical tangent to this site due to a focus on writing the battles out as stories.

Mocking other sites or comparing our site to others doesn't really accomplish much; if other people are having fun doing VS debate in a different way than us, more power to them.
That does make sense since having one character stomp the other is pretty boring even if that would be the logical result according to the wiki's tiering system. You write out the battles to make them more entertaining to watch/read.

I'd like to bring up my point again that "Oh this guy said she's Low 2-C when in reality she's 2-A or whatever" is a very, very mild case of downplaying. That was my point. It is downplaying yes, but it's not so horrible that it's laughable. Not everyone read the manga where the "infinite worlds" statement came from, so you can give them the benefit of the doubt.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I'd like to bring up my point again that "Oh this guy said she's Low 2-C when in reality she's 2-A or whatever" is a very, very mild case of downplaying. That was my point. It is downplaying yes, but it's not so horrible that it's laughable. Not everyone read the manga where the "infinite worlds" statement came from, so you can give them the benefit of the doubt.
Considering that the difference between 2-A and Low 2-C is infinite, I'd say that is major downplay.

Back