• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Wiki-Fiction Indexing Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this to create a forum for discussion. The gist of the thread is that, Versus Battle Wiki needs a clear, written, and codified sets of rules for when it is acceptable to index wiki-fiction verses.

Why?
Over the past few days, I have been involved in multiple conversations and threads, both on these forums and on Discord, about the validity of various wiki-fiction verses and their presence on Versus Battle Wiki (SCP, The Backrooms, etc). In these conversations, opinions about the inclusion of specific wiki-fiction verses have both varied and swayed wildly, ranging from, "No wiki-fiction ever. Let's even delete SCP," and "SCP is fine, but no more," to "If it has a review process like SCP, it's fine, otherwise no," and "It's fine, just index it." The inherent issue in all of these conversations was that there was no clear basis from which to argue. Users on both sides would appeal to past CRT's and discussions without linking to specific arguments, and would present evidence without the proper depth of analysis to justify wholly omitting an entire medium of fiction (that last part is certainly my personal opinion). Repeating this same, sprawled, and contentious process of argument every time a wiki-fiction verse gets popular is clearly a waste of time, resources, and energy for the wiki, that could easily be resolved with specific and clearly written guidelines for when it is acceptable to index a wiki-fiction verse

How?
On this thread, I'm encouraging all VSBW users with an opinion on this matter to present their arguments for how the wiki should deal with indexing wiki-fiction verses.

Guidelines: Based on arguments I've seen from each side over the past few days, I want to put out some guidelines (not strict rules) for this discussion.

1). If you are against wiki-fiction entirety or partially because it could be infiltrated and wanked by VSBW users, please bring specific evidence that this has occurred to demonstrate harm/damage. Likewise, if you are broadly in favor of wiki-fiction's automatic inclusion on VSBW, you need to present evidence of what standards and practices prevent the verse's infiltration by VS-Debaters.

2). If you are arguing for total inclusion or exclusion of wiki-fiction from VSBW, please make sure you have a coherent, well evidenced argument that outlines specific harms or benefits your position would bring to the overall VSBW community.

3). If you are arguing for a specific set of standards that must be met before a wiki-fiction verse is indexed, please describe those standards, and explain why each standard is important.

4). If you believe SCP is the only wiki-fiction verse that should be indexed on VSBW, make sure you have sufficient evidence to demonstrate that its standards and practices are unique when compared to other wikifiction verses, either in content or application.

I think that it is best to close this thread. We already have a current discussion thread that closely relates to this issue.

Also, these types of important policy revision threads should be placed in our staff forum with staff only notes in order to avoid complete chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back