• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Why is surviving yet being knocked out by something a basis for durability scaling?

On some profiles, a character may have a reason for their durability being they survived something that knocked them out.

While it is definitely evidence that they don't get killed by something, or maybe not severely injured by it, & can help quantify stuff when characters lack feats, I think it runs into an issue with Standard Battle Assumptions :

Victory Conditions: Killing the opponent, removing the opponent from the battlefield for at least one week (BFR), knocking the opponent out for at least one hour, or incapacitating the opponent by putting him in a state in which he can not harm the other fighter(s) for over a day, are to be assumed as victory conditions.

Of course, we are an indexing site. AFAIK, conducting VS Battles debate is not our primary goal so much as compiling data on characters for reference in such debates, whether they WILL or even CAN be used in VS Battles Wiki debates.

But most of the time, when someone gets knocked out, it's for more than an hour, or it may be possible to assume as such when the timeframe is unknown.

If experiencing something knocks someone out or leaves them knocked out or otherwise incapacitated for a day or more, they've met a "Lose Condition" according to VS Battles Wikia standards, haven't they?

So why is it considered a Durability justification option on profiles on our Wiki, if I may dare to ask?

Because if they weren't on the same Tier as the hit they took, they wouldn't have been just knocked out: they would have died.

Same Tier as in same general energy level, since it is possible someone might be in one tier & get knocked out by something only a small percentage higher but nonetheless, still in a different Tier -technically- according to our Wiki's Tiering System, correct?

It could also just be a weakness thing. I can be smashed in the head by a rocket and be knocked out but my body could tank a nuke. That's an extreme example but durability is just how much damage you can take, not how much you can resist being knocked out :p

Saikou The Lewd King said:
Because if they weren't on the same Tier as the hit they took, they wouldn't have been just knocked out: they would have died.
I think we scale durability when certain magnitude of energy cause moderated damage to someone, if they are knocked or severy injured it shouldn't scale to durability, otherwise someone of the "same" tier would one-shot (not kill).

Back