• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Which is better? Manga or Anime?

Now, I'm not posting this as a thread to legitimize manga feats for DBS. This is fun and games, not content revision.

I'm just asking for opinions and talk about the DBS manga.

No, let me first say, I am NOT a fan of Dragon Ball. I honestly believe, like most things these days, that it is overrated.

I will say however, that the only part of the franchise I actually enjoyed was the Goku Black/Zamasu Arc. And no, not the anime version, the MANGA version.

Here are the final battles against Zamasu (Anime and Manga) side by side for comparison:

(Manga) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWRRVi73Ic

(Anime, sorry for no subs) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N2SAWLjg1hU

IMO, the manga is MUCH better. And much more entertaining for me. While I do hate that Trunks does absolutely nothing while Goku and Vegeta get all the attention (a flaw that plagued DBZ heavily, as everyone except Goku and Vegeta were pretty much useless), the manga seems much more suspenseful, emotional, and dramatic. While the anime just feels like rushed, mindless fighting with little to no story or character interaction.

Anyway, this is just my opinion, what do you guys think?

I can't tell because I haven't been keeping up with the manga, Heck, I barely keep up with the anime at this point, I only watch when people on the internet start going crazy because of a new episode.

Depends. You see personally i prefer how the story is handled in Manga, with little exception for Zamasu arc which i think was rushed in manga.

That said DB in general is made to entertain with interesting combat scenes and hype transformation and/or overpowered characters rather than plot twists (recently the music is OP as well) and honestly I will always enjoy more in the anime cause music and actual combat scenes that are not just random drawings were everyone stay still.

Well, I mean for an example, when Vegito fights Zamasu in the anime he pretends to play dead and then stabs him when his guard is down, which we've all seen done a million times before.

IMG 0673

In the manga, Zamasu tries to grab him, and Vegito cuts his arms off without him realising. Which is way cooler.

IMG 0674

It's also like, more mature and catered to an older audience while the anime keeps it PG.

Vegeta calls them *************. Goku Black tells Vegeta to "Stop ******* smiling".

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
>fan translation.

I can gurantee ya they dont actually say that.
I mean, it's still darker than the anime.

In the anime, there were other survivors in the future, in the manga Trunks and Mai are the ONLY TWO left.

Vegeta also lets Zamasu beat him to death to buy Goku time to heal.

IMG 0675
IMG 0676
IMG 0679
IMG 0680
IMG 0682

umm .... Merged Zamasu's Ultimate Attack in the manga version was throwing a bunch of hard blocks of metal ..... I'll take the anime version over that farce any day.

Also, Future Trunks is literally my favorite Dragon BallZ/Super character, so I guess I'm biased anyways ...

No Father-Son Galick Gun either, unless I'm forgetting something

No, in the anime there are like a whole bunch of survivors and civilians, as well as a resistance against Black.

In the manga, there is LITERALLY no one else.

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Episide 5 was due to new animators and only having one supervising director at the time.
It has nothing in the current show.
That's absolutely not true at all. The animation is still actual garbage. Even Gaara vs Rock Lee still looks vastly, VASTLY, superior to current DBS and that was drawn 15 years ago.

I'm not saying the manga is better overall, they both have their strengths and faults. And as I mentioned, I hate the fact that they make everyone besides Goku and Vegeta worthless.

Sometimes one is better, sometimes the other is. But I prefer the manga overall.

Seriously, Dragon Ball is like the most popular anime Toei have, and they still allowed animation like this to be broadcasted, like, why?

Gaara vs Rock Lee is not a valid reference point though. That was one of the rare moments of brilliance while most of Naruto fights are not that well animated. However, you'd have to give credit to studio Pierrot (the people who made Naruto) for going absolutely all out in the fights they do choose to animate properly - Madara's introduction, Kakashi vs Obito, Naruto vs Sasuke and so on

TheJ-ManRequiem said:
Why are ya bringing up stuff from two years ago? That hardly effects the last 70 episodes. It was an issue but not anymore.
Yeah, but those were supposed to be professional and paid animators, working in one of the most popular franchises out there, even if they fixed it, just the fact they had this problem in the first place already says a lot about them.

@RoyGundam

I'm only making comparisons between Goku vs Zamasu / Jiren vs Goku, I'm not making a comparison between episode 5 and the so called good episodes of Naruto. Maybe I should have been more clear. And of course, I don't really care why Toei doesn't put the same effort in their fights like Pierrot did. All I care is that they don't.

That's not how it works.

Apparently. If Samurai Jack 2017 is an indicator.

However, I'm pretty sure Genndy had the story already planned out for like, a decade.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Dragon Ball franchise overall, it's fine, but it's not amazing or anything, and I hate Toei Animation, so, it should go without saying that I did not like the anime that much.

Dude, infinite zamasu bombarded earth and killed everyone.

Yeah the manga dud some stuff better but overall? Nah, trunks got his spotlight, it's just as dark (probably more so, zamasu kills everyone right after they thought they won, took away any sense of victory they had). And infinite zamasu is cooler than a bunch of dupes, Giygas is cool. Plus some of the fight scenes (see trunks and Goku vs black and zamasu was one of the best in super).

Back