• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What's Up With Some Of The Care Bears' Powers?

So, in the Care Bears profiles on this wiki, I came across some powers listed in the Powers and Abilities section that I didn't quite agree with. I wanted to leave comments on the pages themselves, but I couldn't as the comments section didn't appear. So, I decided to make this blog in the hopes that someone sees it. So, now I'm going to list all of the abilities that I don't agree with and explain why I don't agree with them.

1. Aura
So, the 1st power I don't know why is on the pages is Aura. I watched the entire collection of animated media from the Original Series (It took me a few days) and I don't remember any Care Bear showing this ability anywhere. Where did this come from?

2. Extrasensory Perception
The 2nd power I want to talk about. The reason given for this power on the pages is that the Care Bears' Tummy Symbols flash whenever there is danger or someone struggling with caring nearby. Again, I watched the entire original series, and I never saw the Tummy Symbols doing either of these once. Usually, the Care Bears are alerted to kids struggling with caring by hearing their cries of distress from Care-a-lot (The Care Bears in the Land Without Feelings), looking down to Earth with a telescope (DiC Series), or by either the Caring Meeter or Beepers (The Care Bears Family and Movies). Can someone please point to me where the Tummy Symbols flashed when danger or caring problems were near?

3. Purification
This one I'm really confused about. The pages say they have Purification Types 1, 2, and 3, but I've never seen the Care Bears remove poisons, pollutants, or materials from objects or substances (Type 1) or curing status effects (Type 3). The CLOSEST thing I could find to type 2 was curing the effects of Sour Sam's pies. And even then, that was only accomplished via Grams Bear's Happy Apple Pie and a little boy's speech about what is important to him about Thanksgiving.

4. Body Puppetry
Yeah, I'm really divided on this one. This power was actually only displayed by the Care Bear Cousins with the Cousin Call, not the Care Bears with the Care Bear Stare. The 2 powers are similar to each other, but I haven't seen enough evidence to assume that they share ALL of their abilities.

5 and 6. Teleportation and BFR
A 2-for-1. Again, this power was only displayed by the Care Bear Cousins, not the Care Bears. They're part of the same family, but it's unknown if they share ALL of their common abilities (I say common because every member of the family possesses 1 unique power relating to their Tummy Symbols).

7. Dream Manipulation
I really researched for this one. This power is specific to Bedtime Bear. The reason it's on his page is because of his ability to enter Dreamland and make sure people have good dreams. However, Bedtime has never shown this ability ONCE in the Original Series. The 1st time he showed this ability was in Care Bears: Adventures in Care-a-lot, which holds a different continuity from the Original Series. So I don't know why this power is on the page for the original version of the character.

8. Cloth Manipulation
Ok, what!? This one is specific to Cheer Bear. And, I can not for the life of me understand why it's on her page. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but again, I've watched all of the original series and I've never seen Cheer demonstrate cloth manipulation before. Anyone care to point me to where this happened (Get it? CARE to poi - ok ...)?

9. Resistance to Willpower Manipulation
I know where this comes from and I still don't agree with it. It comes from the DiC Care Bears series in the episode Drab City, where the Care Bears and Cousins were able to stay in the titular city for an extended period of time before succumbing to the effects of a strange crystal meteorite that drained the city and it's inhabitants of their color and emotions. But that's just it; they were drained of their EMOTIONS (A.K.A. feelings as the human girl Jill had described), not their willpower. And even then, I don't think they resisted it, as they were effected by it at the same rate as Jill, a human girl, who wasn't effected by it at 1st because she lived in a house just outside of Drab City. She only came into the city because she saw the balloon the Care Bears and Cousins were in crash in the city, meaning that she entered the city at around the same time the bears and cousins did. As they walked closer to the crystal, they turned grey at an accelerated rate, showing that the effect grows stronger the closer the victim is to the source. This may also explain why The Bears and Cousins weren't effected at 1st, because they were very far away from the source, further than when they met Jill at. And when they walked closer to the crystal and eventually reached it, they continued to turn grey and eventually completely turned grey at the same rate and time, meaning that the Care Bears and Cousins were effected by the crystal's power at the same rate as a normal, non-powered human being. So yeah, I don't think the Bears and Cousins resisted the effect.

And finally,

10. Durability Negation
This one I'm really confused about. According to the Care Bear profiles, the Care Bear Stare negates Durability against evil doers. And I gotta say SINCE WHEN!? If that were true, then the Spirit would've been affected by the Stare. But, no! She resisted it. TWICE. The Spell was also able to resist the stare, needing a total of 10 Care Bears combined to take it out. I counted. 2 stares were shown to not be enough. There's also No Heart's Monster from The Big Star Roundup, which the Stare didn't work on, and the Cloud of Uncaring, which the Bears needed a boy to share their feelings with them to effect. With all of the examples I've shown you, do you really think that the Care Bear Stare negates Durability? I sure don't.

So, those were all of the powers on the Care Bears profiles that I didn't agree with. I
really hope someone sees this so I can have a discussion involving this, because I really want to .

If you're reading this and have counterpoints or evidence to the things I've written here, leave a comment in the comments section below. Until then, take care.

Weird that I'm approaching a Care Bears thread some months after its creation.

I will state first that I cannot offer insight on where these abilities come from: I have never watched Care Bears, nor do I really want to. What I can do is help with the process of fixing profiles that are potentially bad. Many of our pages were made prior to our current standards (which require, failing scans, references- in this case, stating the episode such an ability came from, and preferably explaining what the ability actually is). As such, many of them do not actually meet our new standards, and many fringe verses such as this aren't being actively worked on.

If you're still around, and wanting to pursue this, I'd be happy to assist as well as I can. First, one ought to ping the people who made/worked on these pages. If you could direct me to the pages, I could discern this information pretty easily.

Back