• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What makes a verse powerful?

To everyone here, what in your opinion qualifies a verse as powerful? In terms of the tiers of the main characters, supreme beings, or others?

I'd say the average power level. Having one 1-A in a verse is all well and dandy, but if the average AP is only say, street or wall level then it can be argued as a not-so powerful verse even with that 1-A.

A powerful verse would be something like the average tier is 5-A or something.

Thanks! I personally would consider a verse powerful when the supreme being is above 3-A. But I guess that's kind of arbitrary.

In terms of verse power, I consider the supreme being to be an outlier since it's kind of in their job description to be the most powerful, usually by several orders of magnitude if not infinitely above the other characters.
I agree with Akreious when they say that the average tier (minus the supreme being) should be taken into account instead, though I think it does hint at an overall weaker verse if its supreme being is in a noticeably lower tier compared to the supreme beings of other similar verses.

So Alpha, what do you think the main character's tier should be to make the verse powerful?

The Main Character's power is usually not indicative of how powerful a verse is. Deku from My Hero Academia is above the verse's average, but other characters with a "Underdog" main character might have a main that's weaker than the average but makes up for it in smarts.

Most main characters are above the average because of Plot Armour, but if it's an underdog story they can be less than average.

Hax does not make something powerful or not. The namesake of "hax" comes from the term "hacks". Basically hax = cheat code. What makes a verse powerful is having high attack potency in regards to its relative tiers. You don't need to have a million 2-As to be considered "strong". A verse that peaks at Planet level can be strong should it have a number of characters that are well into the 5-B tier. Not just baseline 5-B or somewhat above baseline via powerscaling. Blowing up the planet a hundred times over is FAR more impressive than an a 5-B that uses 90% of their power to blow it up once, to a degree that the first 5-B would one-shot the second, unless the second has some form of hax to help him out. However having hax does not put him above the first 5-B, he's still weaker.

Obviously hax makes things more interesting. With hax, you can have weaker 5-Bs tangle with stronger 5-Bs but context and verse mechanics come into play there. But hax does not make or break a verse from being powerful...at all. Unlike ACF, we do not tier verses, so what makes a verse powerful ultimately is subjective. Some people claim Dragonball is strong when I'd argue it's rather pitiful in attack potency for its most notable tiers (5-B, 4-C, 4-B, 3-C and Low 2-C come to mind) pale in comparison to Marvel's characters of the same tiers and that isn't even including hax.

Think Sera's got the right idea on what makes a verse and its occupants (characters/beings) strong. At least if we're talking solely on power...or raw power...or all around power...yeah?

And hax is definitely just that like cheat codes are in a video game. They don't necessarily make one be defined as "strong" and if it is in some ears or minds, that's more of doing it in a way that doesn't get solved through physical means...or something like that I think...kind of. Yeah, something of what Sera pretty much pointed out.

You two have much different views than I. "What makes a verse powerful" for me is the average level of strength among its characters; Just because One character is hilariously high into Low 2-C for example and can one-shot other Low 2-Cs casually doesn't make the verse strong. Or how A verse isn't considered stronger on average if only a few characters are Well into Galaxy level whilst this other verse only has baseline galaxy levelers, but everyone and their grandmas are Galaxy Level.

Raian230 said:
So Alpha, what do you think the main character's tier should be to make the verse powerful?
I believe the only way a main character's tier can be relevant to determine the power of a verse is if the verse counts a number of characters so ludicrously low (let's say between one to five) that their average tier would be relatively close to the main character's tier.

@All
Another thing to consider is in verses where most everyone has access to superpowers like in My Hero Academia, would the average person be part of the sample when making the average or would only the plot relevant characters be considered?

No, I didn't mean only a few characters. You need several. Having one or five characters that's high into any tier, in a verse of over 100 characters, isn't enough. Basically on average, having a number of characters that are high in attack potency, and have a versatile arsenal of abilities makes a verse powerful.

However at the same time, having every character with pitiful AP but loads of hax also does not make that verse strong. It makes it broken.

This is why Naruto is a weak verse. It has some hax but only a small handful of characters have any sort of abilities with substance and their ap is decent to say the least. The rest are just pitiful one-trick-ponies.

To make a verse powerful, you have to make its SOCIETAL STRUCTURES have great tiers, duh. It doesn't help if MC's squad and villain squad are Tier 1-C if everyone else absolutely is in tiers 10 and 9 if both squads are three people each and they don't do much to society.

Now, if you have a verse like BNHA where the people who defend society and fight for countries and institutions — their heroes and soldiers — are on tiers 8-B through 7-B with this 7-A~6-C outlier called All Might, then you can say we have a powerful verse: threatening the world in it would be met with this level (an army of 8-B through 7-Bs) of opposition, a war between verses would have this verse fight with this much power.

I personally find a verse more powerful when society is at higher tiers than when we have "duh everyone is Tier 10 to 9-C+ but the hero's team has nobody weaker than Tier 5 and btw we have members of the hero's team who can OHK each other yet we'll force situations where the weak members are relevant even though the stronger ones would not sweat to fodderize any enemy which makes a fair battle against the weak ones so we have Tier 5 fodder but pretty much everyone in this verse is an outlier to it". A verse with lots of societal structures and armies where you can predictably find people who are able to cause even a bit of damage to this other verse's top ties is already stronger through sheer numbers and organization unless they suffer from the PIS every villain mook suffers.

Back