• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

What are your favorite RPGs?

Suikoden series is a pretty good RPG games. One of my favorite games.

Too bad they never make Suikoden VI.

-Xenoblade 2,aside the story,its because Homura~~

-Shin Megami Tensei,especially Persona.

-Fate/Grand Order,because TM and Nasu,of course.

-Nier:Automata,i'm sucker of nihilist story.

The Mother series (Earthbound, Mother 3, etc.). I really like the general style of these games, its very unique. Especially in the music, graphics and humor.

Favorite RPGs; Fire Emblem (The entire franchise for Obvious reasons), Xenoblade (1+2), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Mother 3, The Paper Mario series, The Mario & Luigi series, Golden Sun (1+2), Final Fantasy 4, 5, 6 and 7 (Especially 6), the Dragon Quest series, Actraiser, and a whole bunch more.

Shin Megami Tensei. It is serious and quirky at the same time, the symbolism is always there, and the message is quite redundant yet doesn't feel like it. Music is unique and specialize in theme and atmosphere. The high stake high reward old school combat is great and have some memorable Characters, even some random enemies are given personalities. Each different series within the franchise has different approach to their game play and I really love it. I hope other RPGs do that to their franchises.

Neverwinter Nights is my personal favorite game ever, and I like Pokemon and Undertale. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is good, but I haven't finished it because I'm lazy. Pretty much my stance on Dragon Age: Origins as well.

DerpCity said:
Neverwinter Nights is my personal favorite game ever, and I like Pokemon and Undertale. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is good, but I haven't finished it because I'm lazy. Pretty much my stance on Dragon Age: Origins as well.
Nice. I unfortunately never got the chance to play it's sequel, Neverwinter Nights 2 back in the day. I have been very curious about Obsidian's take on it.

All the Elder Scrolls games (Except for Arena, that one was shit), with Morrowind in particular being my favourite RPG of all time. Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Bowsers Inside Story, Pokémon Emerald, Final Fantasys 4, 6, and 7, Mother 3, and Chrono Trigger.

@TMS-D- I'd probably recommend getting NWN2, though I would say its not as good as the first game. Its not terrible, visually the game is nice, and IMO its OC is well written and many people like the other three campaigns it offers, but the gameplay doesn't feel as good - things feel stiff and clunky at its best, and broken and buggy (when it isn't crashing) at its worst. Also, they added Full Party Control and styled the campaigns under the assumption you'll use three, and later up to four, of the many henchmen. However, their AI is as dumb as ever, making combat is less strategic and more "I can't play my character because I have to stop the rogue from getting stuck on a lamp post again omg why." Things like that are why I've only beaten the game's OC once and haven't beaten the other three.

I enjoyed Final Fantasy 12 and 15, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Fallout 3, New Vages and 4.

@Delta My recommended RPG: Monster Hunter. My second favorite RPG series of all time. The story is minimalistic but that is not the focus of the game, and instead gives you fun combat, endless customization, and controller breaking difficulty (especially MH1, **** that hitboxes. I REPEAT, **** THAT HITBOXES). The monsters are given personalities well by their movements, activities, armory and weapons. They always bring up new to the table, while always retaining what made them great in the first place. Thanks to the series' new installment, Monster Hunter World, the Monster Hunter series are more accessible than ever before, so I highly recommend to check that out.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 was extremely fun to play, but the story drove me up a wall a little more than halfway through.

Dark souls series, Bloodborne, Darkest Dungeon are probably my favorites.

Favorites

Pokemon: Was my childhood, and the main games are always consistently a good time.

Valkyria Chronicles: One of my favorite games AND series of all time.

Fire Emblem: Haven't played anything older than Awakening yet but it quickly became one of my favorite series.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was also part of my (late) childhood. And skyrim is always a blast with mods.

Paper Mario: Mostly the first 3. A classic, pure and simple.

Shin Megami Tensei: God's gift to mankind. lol

Mega Man Battle Network: Only played one or two games as a kid, and never to completion, but somehow it ended up being some of the most fun I remember having on handheld.

Rune Factory and Harvest Moon: Fite me.

Dungeons & Dragons (and other tabletop rpgs): The granddad of modern role playing games in general. Always a good time if you're with the right people.

Other stuff I liked

Record of Agarest War: Loved the idea of getting married and playing as your kids in the next generation, but the grind is pretty intense.

Ar Tonelico: Only played the 3rd game in the series (Qoga) and while the gameplay got really repetetive imo, the story itself was pretty great.

Trillion God of Destruction: Had a whole lot of fun with this one but never got to finish it.

Lost Dimension: Had a whole lot of fun with this one but never got to finish it.

Conception: More fanservice than anything, but reminds me of the later Persona games. (Only played the second one though.)

Yo-Kai Watch: Really captures the essence of being a kid again, while also being a pretty solid game.

Divinity: Really fun, especially with a friend.

Dragon Age: Really blends story telling with letting you build and play your character the way you want to damn near seamlessly.

Mass Effect: Same as above, though not as great (imo).

Stuff I wanna get into

Suikoden

Shining Force

Final Fantasy

Kingdom Hearts

Fire Emblem (Older games)

Dragon Quest

Breath of Fire

Tales series

Nier/Drakengard

Probably forgetting more.

Here's a couple of my favorites: (May come back with more...)

Pokémon: One of my favorite franchises, period. I grew up with this game, and I'm so glad for it! I could probably name every single Pokémon except for the few that just suddenly came out of the woodworks recently.

Undertale: I was hesitant to check it out at first, considering I was focusing on FNAF at the time, but I eventually found the time to give it a try, and boy was it a ride. The characters, the gameplay, the plot, the music, everything was great about that game, and I don't regret playing it for a second.

Fire Emblem: I have managed to play Blazing Swords, The Sacred Stones, and Awakening, none of them to completion just yet. However, the intense combat and strategy, as well as the very well-developed characters, makes me love this series to death. Unfortunately, the "death" part is a little bit annoying, but I don't really mind resetting my game all the time just to save my characters from complete obliteration. It's part of the fun.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift: Now, it may seem blasphemous to say that I haven't played any main series Final Fantasy games, besides 6, which I just started, I have played several of the side-games, this one being one of the best. Fire Emblem style strategy with a lot more variety, magic and color. Also, the many side-quests and gambling made this game very replayable.

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7: While still not a main series game, this is probably the closest I have ever gotten to playing one. A real intense story, a lovable protagonist, and smooth gameplay that makes this one a joy to romp through. The side quests, I admit, can be a bit tedious, but with everything else this game has to offer, this is one flaw I'm willing to let slide.

Pokémon Conquest: The one Pokémon game nobody seems to talk about. It combines Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and notable historical figures in Japanese history with Samurai Warrior designs. Its gameplay is borrowed from the Nobunaga's Ambition games, where you must go and conquer the entire Ransei region one castle at a time with your cuddly Pokémon companions. It's a shame it didn't get more attention, but it's still very fun!

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: The best roguelike series of games I have ever played, particularly the Explorer games and Super Mystery Dungeon. The mystery dungeons are always a blast to explore, the gameplay is consistently great, and the stories tend to be very nice. And the characters are always very fun in these games as well.

Shin Megami Tensei: Particularly 4 and Strange Journey. I really like the monster designs in these games, and the gameplay I see very fine-tuned. Honestly, I was surprised to hear that the MERCY mechanic in Undertale was inspired by SMT, but after thinking about it, it makes a lot of sense, considering how you can let these monsters join you on your party. And the fusion mechanic is also nice. Not to mention the story and the characters in these games are very well-constructed. Overall, some good games that I would recommend!

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GameCube) Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo Wii) Xenoblade Chronicles X (Nintendo Wii U) Persona 5 (PlayStation 3/4) Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (PSVita/PlayStation 4)

Some of my favs.

By the way, unless any of you are a die-hard Sonic fan, don`t play Sonic: The dark brotherhood for the DS.

It sucks, even the music and controls are terrible, the only good thing in it is the plot, which canon is too hard to tell where it belongs.

Bobsican said:
By the way, unless any of you are a die-hard Sonic fan, don`t play Sonic: The dark brotherhood for the DS.

It sucks, even the music and controls are terrible, the only good thing in it is the plot, which canon is too hard to tell where it belongs.
I dunno. I thought it was at least decent. I kinda liked the battle system, probably because I don't really mind the whole "touch screen mini-game" aspect of some of these games. However, I do agree that it probably wouldn't be one of my top 10 Sonic games, due to the fact that it gets kinda bland and repetitive at times.

I almost forgot.

If you like lewd stuff, try the HighSchool DXD game for 3DS.

It`s japan-only, however, but the lewdness is almost as close as the uncensored anime...

Back